MFJ SSB RADIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8krh

HI GUYS;
Anyone own a MFJ travel ssb radio. If so what type of microphone connector is on the thing, I want to substitute for another microphone if I purchase the unit. If it is a din type would the din adapter work for this radio.

Thanks for any information.
DOCT/R795

K7MEM

With most of items available from MFJ, you can download the manual in advance. The manual for the MFJ-9020 says that you will need a "600 Ohm Dynamic PTT Microphone". It further says the following:

"MICROPHONE: The MFJ-9420 speech processor circuit was designed around the companion MFJ-290 600 Ohm Dynamic Microphone. Radio Shack's 21 1172 replacement microphone ($5 to $10 on Ebay) also plugs in without modification and works well. If the mic you select requires a plug, install a 5 Pin DIN connector (Radio Shack 274 003) as shown:

Pin 3: PTT Line
Pin 4: Mic Line
Pin 1,2,5: Ground

You need to be more specific about the "din adapter". What other microphone do you want to use as a substitute? What din adapter are you talking about?

k8krh

The DIN Adaptor is for the old radio shacks din connector to 4 pin microphone. I was going to use I was thinking of a D104, will check into the Radioshack substitute. the main idea here is I don't like hand microphones and have a handful of microphones such as D104, etc.
Thanks for the information appreciate it.
DOCTOR/795/K8LEN

K7MEM

The DIN Adaptor is for the old radio shacks din connector to 4 pin microphone. I was going to use I was thinking of a D104, will check into the Radioshack substitute. the main idea here is I don't like hand microphones and have a handful of microphones such as D104, etc.
Thanks for the information appreciate it.
DOCTOR/795/K8LEN

It sounds like the adapter you have was meant for a CB radio. I have a similar one made by Kenwood that goes from the standard 8 pin to the old 4 pin. I use it with my D104 to adapt it to my SB-101.

If you have a bunch of mics laying around, get the required connector and rewire it to work. Or get one to match the selected mic, one to match the rig, and make your own adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.