Yaesu: FT60: scanning police & fire bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Help please...I want to set up some of the channels into scan banks for police & fire freqs (receive only, NO transmit) on my Yaesu FT-60...

Using FT-60 Commander, I'm able to set up the 2 way ham freqs OK...

But it won't accept non ham band freqs, even though the manual says it can receive non ham freqs...

Has anybody else had this issue, and if so, how did you solve it..?

I have a couple hundred non ham freqs to enter...I don't want to carry a second radio (scanner)...I'd really like to be able to carry just 1 radio to an upcoming event...

bharvey2

I don't own an FT60 but I have suspect that the problem may be with transmit frequencies. Some programs assume a transmit frequency based on a common offset. Perhaps your program is inserting an assumed transmit frequency based upon the offset. For instance, with my Kenwood TM-V71A, I believe you can get by with entering a receive frequency only. Try using a program like CHIRP, which allows you to manually enter both receive and transmit frequencies individually. Read the radio as it sits now and see what the radio has programmed into it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I do the same on my vx6r by the keypad. No need for software, try your keypad and see if that works for you. :). 73, n9zas

KE0GXN

I own an FT-60, but I have no need to scan police and fire with it, as I own an HP-2 for that. I suspect you may have to manually do it like gewecke stated....I use RT systems with my FT-60, however I don't know if RT would work for that or not.

Have you checked YouTube? I know there are a bunch of FT-60 videos out there, maybe someone posted one on what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Have had no problems entering frequencies with software or keypad provided it they are within the frequencies that the FT-60 will accept. And depending on the step required.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Several hundred frequencies to enter, times how many button pushes to enter each one...is not something I want to do...I'm downloading CHIRP and will explore it...

I do the same on my vx6r by the keypad. No need for software, try your keypad and see if that works for you. :). 73, n9zas

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Ok...the problem is I was entering freqs BELOW 108mhz...

Ok, this is a game changer...CHP operates primarily in VHF-Low band (39mhz ~ 45 mhz)...

Can anybody suggest a 2m / 70-cm radio that CAN receive VHF-Low, that is just as solid as the FT-60..?

The point is I don't want to carry more than 1 radio when traveling with other folks...so that is my quest...

73 de KE6VGA

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ok...the problem is I was entering freqs BELOW 108mhz...

Ok, this is a game changer...CHP operates primarily in VHF-Low band (39mhz ~ 45 mhz)...

Can anybody suggest a 2m / 70-cm radio that CAN receive VHF-Low, that is just as solid as the FT-60..?

The point is I don't want to carry more than 1 radio when traveling with other folks...so that is my quest...

73 de KE6VGA
. Yes, the vx6r will accept frequençies from 6 meters and below down to about 30 mhz. :wink: 73, n9zas

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FT-60R

If you check in the back of the manual, you would see that the radio does not go below 108 MHz. Very few, if any, dual band radios receive in the low VHF area. The FT-60 is not a scanner and with very many frequencies entered will be very slow compared to a real scanner.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
If he already used FT-60 commander to program ham freqs, then he's past needing the initial template.

I had a FT-60 years ago and used FT-60 Commander to load UHF and VHF police/fire freqs. The FT-60 actually does great on UHF/VHF receive.

I don't remember that there was anything special to it. Check what bharvey2 mentioned...ensure you're programming the frequencies as receive only. I vaguely remember FT-60 Commander will ignore (?) sending invalid channels. But it can be done.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
It shouldn't transmit out of the ham bands unless it has been modified. Even if mods have been done, it will not go below the 108 frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.