Kenwood: TM-710G Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
What is anyone using for a APRS display on one of these?
Am receiving one of these in three weeks and wondering what I will need.

Tnks

Ron

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Your choices are limited:

• The AvMap G6 APRS will provide you with a map display, GPS navigation, and will display APRS position reports.
  • The Argent Data GTRANS works with some Garmin nuvis to accomplish pretty much the same thing at the AvMap G6. It worked OK with the TM-D710, but I do not know how it would work with the TM-D710G.
  • A laptop computer or Windows tablet running APRSISCE/32.
  • An Android tablet running APRSDROID.
There may be other options that I don't know about.

So it works on new Nuvi GPS that has a mini usb? Does anyone tried this on there Nuvi 2797LMT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AK9R

Super Moderator
I have a Garmin nuvi 1450LM. I contacted Argent Data and purchased a GTRANS2. Note the "2". Scott does not list this device on his web store, but he was selling them a few years ago. The GTRANS2 is designed to power the Garmin nuvi through the miniUSB port where the normal GTRANS is designed to work with earlier nuvis that are powered through the unit's base.

Frankly, I was a bit disappointed by the GTRANS2 and nuvi 1450LM combination. It worked fine to provide NMEA lat/lon strings to the radio. And, the radio did send waypoints back to the nuvi to represent received APRS position reports. But, you had to refresh the screen to see those waypoints.

I do not know if Argent Data will still sell you a GTRANS2. I do not know if the GTRANS2 will work with newer nuvis. The basic GTRANS concept was designed to work with ealier nuvis such as the nuvi 350, but that model is long out of production and you can only find them on the used market.

At one time, I also owned an AvMap G6 APRS. As far as APRS position report mapping, that device works perfectly with the TM-D710. However, I sold the G6 because AvMap wanted over $100 for each annual map update which I thought was outrageously high. Also, the AvMap's user interface was too quirky for me to live with. Despite its faults, the AvMap G6 APRS is the only mapping GPS receiver/sat-nav unit that is specifically designed to work with the TM-D710.

Now that you can buy small Windows-based tablets and since the current TM-D710G includes a built-in GPS receiver, I would look at a tablet running APRSISCE/32 or YAAC to handle the APRS position report mapping duties. Microcenter's Winbook line of tablets will do the job. Steven Smith WA8LMF has a nice write-up about the Winbooks on his web site. Also, you can buy refurbished Microsoft Surface Pro 2 tablets that will also do a great job for less than the price of an AvMap G6.

KG5PCN

What did you end up going with? I just got mine this week and was wondering how to get a msp to show the locations of who I was receiving packets from.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I've done nothing. The options I listed above are still viable options with the issues that I detailed in that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.