Securing your expensive antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some V/UHF and HF antennas on my mobile. Driving around and then park, really needs to unmount those eye catching whips.Just curious on how you guys secure your antennas when left behind parking lots, malls, public places etc. Or is there a way to lock them or better safe put them back inside the car before leaving.. Adding metallic locks will surely ruin the performance of the antenna.

Admin please move this to Antennas. Thanks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clubguy

Thank for asking this question because I've been wondering the same thing about the antennas and the radio, and what about having your ham radio license number on your license plates? Not only are you giving out your home address, but you're also advertising, "expensive gear inside,"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Though only hams recognize callsigns but still we need to secure our identity, family and everything mounted inside. Hoooo! I always remove those remote heads everytime i exit from the vehicle.

toastycookies

Personally I just torque them down correctly to the NMO mount.

In the same fashion as my wheels and other parts on my vehicle.

I value my wheels a lot more than my cheap antennas yet do not have any special locks on them. They are worth 100x more at least.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
About 20 years ago Diamond sold a "foldover-into-trunk" mount that was fantastic. I wish now I'd bought two of them. Who knew they'd discontinue such a handy mount! It was the Diamond K601NMO. Several months ago I saw one on eBay and stupidly did not grab it immediately as it sold before I could get back to it... :(

ohiJo.jpg

In any case I've had my Diamond dual band antenna on that mount for 20 years. Whenever I park in a "questionable area" I simply pop the trunk and fold the entire antenna and mount into the trunk, and hook the antenna to a little bracket. When the trunk is closed you'd never know there was any radio equipment in the car...

...or at least that was true until I added a 5/8th wave UHF antenna and mount to the right side.

I can still quickly slide the CS800 and TH-7800 control heads off and lock 'em in the glove box though.

Last edited:

Voyager

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Easy. I use 1/4 wave antennas for the two radios in my truck. One VHF and one 800MHz.
First of all, they are of little value.
Second, they are on top of a full size truck and not easy to get to.
Third, they're worth about $10.

I've parked in many "questionable" areas and never had an issue. Never had my AM/FM antenna stolen either.
I understand about expensive HF antennas, but VHF/UHF? You guys are paying way too much for your antennas.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I also have VHF and UHF 1/4 wave antennas on my car. 3 cars and 12 years later, they work fine and have never been disturbed. I live and work in Southern California, and leave my car in all sorts of sketchy areas, including airports for extended times. Never lost one.

They're only "eye catching" to someone who knows what it might be attached to, and it's a pretty good bet your local bad guys aren't interested (or smart) enough to explore.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thank for asking this question because I've been wondering the same thing about the antennas and the radio, and what about having your ham radio license number on your license plates? Not only are you giving out your home address, but you're also advertising, "expensive gear inside,"

Not all of us are that gullible. Many "smarter" hams take steps NOT to list their true address on their ham license or online for just such reasons. :wink: 73, n9zas

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I have an IC-7000 in one car. It has a removable front plate that's mounted on the dash. The radio body is in the trunk.

When parking in a dicey location, I unscrew my hf and vhf antennas and store them in the trunk along with the radio's head unit.

I have my ham plates on on a newer car. I don't have anything permanently mounted in it. (It's too new to drill holes in) :)

I live in the country and don't have a street address. I just have a box number so it wouldn't be easy to track me down by looking up my call at qrz.com.

Clubguy

So I can change my info at qrz,com?

K7MEM

So I can change my info at qrz,com?

Yes and no. The FCC only requires a valid address that they can send renewal notices to. So if you change your address with the FCC, QRZ will get the update. But it must be valid.

I live in the country with no paved roads. If you try to follow directions to my street address, you wind up on a creepy dead end street with no houses. But that is the county's doing. I have my address painted on a rock there, so you know you made it to the right place. Then you have to call me.

When sending something to me through the mail, the only thing that really matters is the 4-digit number that is after the zip code. The rest of the address could say almost anything. If the 4-digit number isn't there, a letter/package doesn't make it to my PO box.

You could go rent a PO box and change your address to that box. But a PO box usually cost about $60 - $80 a year, depending on the size. Plus, the cost of gas to get your mail every day. I get my PO box for free, because I reside outside of the US Mail delivery area.

I do have vanity plates, with my call sign on them. Mostly I have found that the only ones that understand the plate are other hams. My plate starts with "K7" which totally confuses people. They always want to know why it doesn't say "K9", and what does the "MEM" mean. I have even had the police ask me what it suppose to say.

Martin - K7MEM

Yes and no. The FCC only requires a valid address that they can send renewal notices to. So if you change your address with the FCC, QRZ will get the update. But it must be valid.

I live in the country with no paved roads. If you try to follow directions to my street address, you wind up on a creepy dead end street with no houses. But that is the county's doing. I have my address painted on a rock there, so you know you made it to the right place. Then you have to call me.

When sending something to me through the mail, the only thing that really matters is the 4-digit number that is after the zip code. The rest of the address could say almost anything. If the 4-digit number isn't there, a letter/package doesn't make it to my PO box.

You could go rent a PO box and change your address to that box. But a PO box usually cost about $60 - $80 a year, depending on the size. Plus, the cost of gas to get your mail every day. I get my PO box for free, because I reside outside of the US Mail delivery area.

I do have vanity plates, with my call sign on them. Mostly I have found that the only ones that understand the plate are other hams. My plate starts with "K7" which totally confuses people. They always want to know why it doesn't say "K9", and what does the "MEM" mean. I have even had the police ask me what it suppose to say.

Martin - K7MEM

Hi Martin, just got my Vanity call that is also confusing.. Am from K5 but my call now is W1.. :)

I had two cars stolen. The racketeers who stole them sold the vehicles on Craig's List hours later with authentic-looking, but fraudulent titles (hence, my view that it's a "racket" vs. common car thieves). Point is, they left all the equipment that was bolted into the car in the car. They took all of the personal stuff, like GPS and radar detectors, but left the radios and antennas. From talking to the victims who bought the vehicles for about $1,200 cash (if it looks too good...) and tried to register them after I reported them stolen, the racketeers explained them off as CBs or "work radios."

I'm not saying any of you would have the same experience, but I don't think ham or LMR equipment would be marketable to the people who steal cars in my neighborhood.

(PROTIP: Hidden APRS trackers!)

k6cpo

I had my truck broken into in a hotel parking lot and it was obvious from video surveillance that my truck was not specifically targeted. They went around trying doors on all the vehicles in the lot. They were able to get into mine because they got the tailgate open past the shell and got into the cab through the back window.

It was also obvious they had no idea what they were stealing. They took the body of my mobile radio but left the control head which was in plain sight on the dash. They also left the antenna and all the cables...

While I now take some precautions when I park, like taking down the antenna and putting the control head out of sight, I have call sign plates on the truck and a license plate frame that says "Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator." I've had no further problems beyond that one incident and I think that one was due more to location than anything.

Sometimes or if possible have some hidden tracker.. Microtrak plug n play.. Though a bit expensive investment but worth it.

TheSpaceMann

I had two cars stolen. The racketeers who stole them sold the vehicles on Craig's List hours later with authentic-looking, but fraudulent titles (hence, my view that it's a "racket" vs. common car thieves). Point is, they left all the equipment that was bolted into the car in the car. They took all of the personal stuff, like GPS and radar detectors, but left the radios and antennas. From talking to the victims who bought the vehicles for about $1,200 cash (if it looks too good...) and tried to register them after I reported them stolen, the racketeers explained them off as CBs or "work radios."

I'm not saying any of you would have the same experience, but I don't think ham or LMR equipment would be marketable to the people who steal cars in my neighborhood.

(PROTIP: Hidden APRS trackers!)
I had a very expensive sports car stolen with ham equipment inside. The car was found almost 2 years later in China! I'm still looking for the radios.

TheSpaceMann

That's absolutely amazing! how did you retrieve the car? did insurance pay for the ride back here?
I needed to have it shipped, and had to work things out with the insurance company since they had already paid on the claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.