Dual Band Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a dual band ham mobile. I see the Alinco 735 multi color display, also the Icom 2730A, and the Yaesu FTM-100. If these were the only choices you had how would you rank them? If anyone has better idea please post. Trying to stay under $400.

Clubguy

FTM-100 Fusion is hot right now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Go to a local ham store and try each one out for yourself. Or, find a local ham who has a radio you are interested in and ask to check it out.

Gotta see it with your own eyes to be sure.

Clubguy

I have the FTM-100 and it has been excellent

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Alinco DR-735T is a new radio, so not much is known about it.

The Icom IC-2730 is probably a good radio. Just be aware that typical accessories, such as a mounting bracket, are not included with the radio and will cost extra.

The Yaesu FTM-100D would be at the bottom of my list because it can only operate one band at a time.

At the top of my list would be the Kenwood TM-V71A. The price is in your ball park, the reviews are good, and it has lots of features.

KE0GXN

Kenwood TM-V71A owner here and I can attest it is a great rig. The ability to listen to two seperate frequencies at the same time via two external speakers is awesome. It allows me to park one side of the radio on my club repeater, while I scan the rest of my local repeaters and simplex frequencies on the other side!

Now, if Fusion was more prevalent in my area then I would have seriously considered the FTM-100 instead or maybe saved my pennies for the FTM-400. So I guess in your situation I would ses if having Fusion capabilities would be a priority.....if not, then I would go with the TM-V71A hands down.

k6cpo

I'm looking for a dual band ham mobile. I see the Alinco 735 multi color display, also the Icom 2730A, and the Yaesu FTM-100. If these were the only choices you had how would you rank them? If anyone has better idea please post. Trying to stay under $400.

Of the three you list, my choice (I already have one, actually) would be the FTM-100. There are several reasons:

1. System Fusion® digital. My club has two of the System Fusion repeaters and more and more members are acquiring Fusion handhelds and mobiles.
  2. APRS. The FTM-100 has a built-in GPS and APRS. While it can't beacon and transmit voice at the same time, it's still a useful feature.
If digital and APRS are a factor in your purchase, there are a number of other dual-band mobiles out there that would come in under your price point.

I've use the Yaesu FT-7900R for several years and have been very happy with it. It doesn't have the dual receive or the dual screen,but that hasn't affected its usefulness for me. Another good Yaesu mobile that does have dual screen and dual receive is the FT-8800.

Now if you want ALL the bells and whistles, the Yaesu FTM-400 Fusion Digital is the way to go. It has GPS, APRS, digital, dual screen and receive, a color touch screen and an appropriate price...

Clubguy

Not to mention you can only talk on one channel at a time, so having one tuner nstead of two is not a big deal, and most clubs have repeaters on both 2m and 70cm, so the FTM-100 works just fine when scanning either frequncy. You can also store both 2m and 70cm channels in the same memory bank so you are essentially listening to 2 bands. That's how I use my FTM-100.

Weaksignal

You may want to check how the two rate on eHam reviews... A bit early for the yet to be released Alinco 735T

Icom IC-2730a Product Reviews
Yaesu FTM-100D Product Reviews

Clubguy

I was going to purchase the Yaesu FT-8900R when I went to the candy store in my area, but the guy at the store told me that there are not any 6 meter repeaters in my state and 10 meter on FM is not very active. When I asked him about the FTM-100DR he got very excited and said that Fusion repeaters are going up all over town, so it was a better choice for me. Remember, there is no perfect radio so jump in and get started. This probably won't be your last radio. I have an HT, and a mobile rig, now I'm looking at putting one in the house where a multiband radio makes more sense than in my car.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If you NEVER want to experience 6M or 10M FM DX via band openings, E-layer skip, etc. then stick with a dual bander and the local repeaters.

Clubguy

10 meter on AM works better than on FM and it won't work all year long. Whatever your primary use is going to be for the radio should be your deciding factor.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Here's why I have a quad-band FM mobile rig. A lot of this may not apply to anyone, but to a ham who is interested in any of these.... well, here ya' go -
- My quad-band radio is mobile, and I travel with it into areas where there are 6 and 10M FM repeaters in addition to 2M & 70cm. If you never travel with a mobile rig, ignore this.
- I have several 6M and 10M FM repeaters local to me, in addition to the usual 2M & 70cm
- I enjoy working FM as a Rover during the 3 yearly ARRL VHF Contests. If you never have or never want to try working as a Rover on VHF FM, then ignore this.
- My quad-band mobile transceiver has two full-time receivers and a duplexer, so it works as a crossband repeater from any band to any other (10M, 6M, 2M, 70cm)
- I put 10M and 6M FM repeater freqs in my channels that I normally scan, and know immediately when there is an opening on 10 or 6 (if I'm in the car... different method used when at home).
My quad bander is my, "Yeah, I can do that mobile" rig. Now if I was really serious I'd mount an Icom-7100 in the car and add SSB and HF. But that's a major jump in investment from the $220 quad-band FM radio to the $900 IC-7100 + antenna(s) and tuner.

Clubguy

Now, that, right there, is an explanation that makes sense for his use case scenario.

KE0GXN

OP stated dual-band which leads me to believe he is only interested in 2m/70cm....

Icom 2730A would be pricey because of needed "expensive" mounts/faceplates kits. You may still be able to get it "all" for under 4 bills if you shop around I guess. Unless you fabricate your own or you are content with laying the faceplate in front of the radio. Icom requires you to purchase a faceplate kit to just attach the face of the radio to the main body.

Not familiar enough with the Alinco to even comment on it.

FTM-100 seems like a great mobile rig, but not so much for a base, so it depends on how you want to use the radio. If used as a base you will be short changing yourself of a few useful features, i.e. APRS/GPS etc...

Like I stated earlier I would take a look at the TM-V71A, but good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:

bharvey2

I can't speak to the other radios mentioned above but I own two Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders and find them very capable and reliable radios. I've never had trouble with them. I'd buy another if I needed one and would highly recommend them.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Be sure to look around at the same question asked by others, which seems to be about once a month. Many of us, myself included, like the TM-V71.

Sent via Tapatalk

k6cpo

737mech wrote: "If anyone has better idea please post." Not sure if this is definition of "better idea" but it's an idea.... and I've been very happy with mine. Why stop at dual-bander? Why not go quad-band? I'm referring to the TYT TH-9800 -
http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/300740-tyt-th-9800-review.html

I'd be skeptical of a Chinese quad-bander, especially after how the Chinese HTs fared in testing by the ARRL at Dayton.

http://wp.ni4ce.org/wp-content/uploads/qst.pdf

FTM-100 seems like a great mobile rig, but not so much for a base, so it depends on how you want to use the radio. If used as a base you will be short changing yourself of a few useful features, i.e. APRS/GPS etc...

I'd love to have a Fusion radio at home for a base, but you're right. Yaesu came close with the new FTM-3200R, but it's a single-band two meter only. Now if they come out with a Fusion dual-bander that doesn't have APRS/GPS and some of the other bells and whistles, I'll buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.