Kenwood: Kenwood digital mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

Now that Kenwood is bringing a DSTAR handheld to the mix, (why DSTAR I have no idea) how long do you think it will be before they have a mobile version? The radio is cool looking though.

N2AL

Now that Kenwood is bringing a DSTAR handheld to the mix, (why DSTAR I have no idea) how long do you think it will be before they have a mobile version? The radio is cool looking though.

I would believe that if they are planning to roll out a Kenwood portable radio with DSTAR capabilities, they should roll a mobile radio out around the same time.

Generally they do not roll out one without the other.

Side note, it would be nice if Kenwood rolled out a DSTAR/CFM (Yaesu Digital)/DMR radio. I doubt they will but a ham can dream! I am a huge Kenwood fan.

Andrew | N2AL
N2AL - Amateur Extra Class Operator

KK4ELO

Yeah I would have definitely been more in line for one if it had DMR. Or maybe even C4FM. We currently have 2 local C4FM repeaters that have just went online.

K4APR

Yeah I would have definitely been more in line for one if it had DMR. Or maybe even C4FM. We currently have 2 local C4FM repeaters that have just went online.

Yep, DMR would have made it a winner for me. Instead they pick an off-the-wall mode to implement. No idea why Kenwood went this direction.

Had they went DMR, dual-band, APRS (with internal GPS, color touch and mapping), they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

slapshot0017

I didn't see anything about a dstar radio, but they have mutliple DMR models coming out. The announcements is all on this subforum.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

That's actually the plan. The NX line will be capable of DMR and is already capable of C4FM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toastycookies

My understanding is Multi-digital mode will be featured on the NX line where the TK line will either feature a one digital mode per radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be very right however I never said different.

All I was saying was that the TK line was capable as well.

However Kenwood decides to market it will be interesting to see.

Yep, DMR would have made it a winner for me. Instead they pick an off-the-wall mode to implement. No idea why Kenwood went this direction.

I would say it would have something to do with their relationship with Icom in doing the NXDN digital radios. That thought only makes sense. Of course, going with what others have said, why they wouldn't go with a digital mode that is more commonplace just doesn't make any sense. But, what do we know. We're just operators and don't know what we want.... lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

K4NNW

Had they went DMR, dual-band, APRS (with internal GPS, color touch and mapping), they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

I don't know, either. I agree that the mapping would've made it MUCH more appetising, although Bluetooth opens the door for that. HF SSB/AM receive is a nice bonus.
What I'd really like is a 50W mobile version of this radio, Bluetooth included.

wrath

Kenwood was involved with the creation of dstar , but based on there investment amount agreed to leave dstar exclusive to Icom for a certain period of time , that time has elapsed so they put out the 74 A , if you look at the recent decrease in pricing of there flagship mobile 710 g , I bet within a few months we will have a new dstar mobile by Kenwood , Icom has a new 4100 A coming out in the next couple of months, the difference with it is it incorporates the plus 2 dstar Hotspot in the rig like the ID51A plus 2 ,from pictures I have seen it uses the case and head of the 880 and is an ugly radio to me, I don't see DMR kenwoods in the future because there is no real money it with used mother m gear and the CCRS I think they would be smart to stay away from it from a business point of view , it's kinda hard to compete for the low budget radio market and as far as I know Yaesu wholly owns it's digital mode so it's slim chance they will license it out , even the servers are Yaesus own in Japan, although products like the Sharkrf already transcode DMR & Fusion to each other from one digital radio,there is a company that makes a rig that does all the modes but the companies reputation has been just about totaled with already unhappy hams who bought there dongles that were updated and mostly bricked by the update.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't see DMR kenwoods in the future...
Kenwood has been selling DMR radios in markets outside of North America for a year or so and now has DMR available as an option in their NX-5000 line of land mobile radios in North America.

Given that both Icom and Kenwood are active in the LMR market, I doubt that you will ever see them produce a DMR radio specifically for the amateur radio market. D-Star was developed for amateur radio, DMR was not, so I suspect that Icom and Kenwood will stick with D-Star for their amateur radio digital voice products.

Yaesu wholly owns it's digital mode so it's slim chance they will license it out...
Yaesu released the specification for System Fusion to the public several months ago. There's nothing stopping another radio manufacturer from picking it up, except that Icom and Kenwood seem intent on sticking with D-Star for amateur radio.

N4KVE

I mean hytera is making amateur specific dmr radios...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not really. They are taking existing commercial radios, removing features like encryption, man down, & limiting coverage to amateur freq's, and allowing GigaParts to sell them to hams. They are stripped down commercial radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.