Total newb looking for the right radios to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic_Man

Hi my name is Rob. The wife and I are currently studying to get our technicians licenses. We are taking the test in September. I currently don't own any Ham radios. I am trying to decide what kind to buy. I could use a little help. My primary interest is not so much making contact with strangers around the world but to provide communication between my wife at a base station and me out hunting or fishing or hiking in areas where there is no cell service. Some people have suggested a radio in the 2 meter band 1 base station at the house or camp while I would have a handheld. The distances I would like to cover our from zero 20 miles or so away at the most. I live in the Rolling Hills of southwestern Pennsylvania near Laurel Ridge. It's my understanding that a 2-meter radio would probably need to hit a repeater in order to reach the base from my handheld anywhere basically Beyond line-of-sight. My brilliant idea was to get a 10-meter handheld and base unit. From what I've been able to figure out you can bounce a signal off of the ionosphere hand make long-distance point-to-point communication. My biggest question is if I am 10 or 20 miles away is this to close together to use this type of communication? The 10 meter attracted my attention because of the long distance point-to-point potential. Which I think would be useful in some sort of disaster situation where repeaters might not be working. I am interested in hearing anyone's opinion on my 10 meter Theory for any suggestions as to what type of radios would fit the bill for my scenario.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I sincerely doubt 10m would prove practical for your needs. Consider that 10m isn't all that different in propagation than 11m (CB). The biggest difference is that 10m is licensed by test whereas 11m is licensed by rule (meaning no controls whatsoever!).

Were I in your place, I'd seek to make contact with a local amateur club and discuss your needs with them as they'd be most likely to provide more useful suggestions.

https://www.google.com/#q=ham+clubs+in+pittsburgh+pa

Last edited:

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Relic_Man

If you are planning on a base, get the antenna up as high as feasible. If you and your wife are using 2 meters and your base antenna is up high enough, you should be OK. the next issue would be the fact that a handheld radio's antenna is usually a compromise between effective range and usability-the standard 'rubber duck' type antenna is not a great performer range wise-it is durable and small enough not to be a pain.
I would also look into a mobile. If you shop for a mobile that can do crossband repeat, and get a dual band handheld, you can set the unit in the mobile to 'relay' to the base. This gives you the higher power and better antenna of the mobile from the handheld and would make either 2 meters or &0 cm work fine.

I would look for equipment that you and the wife can use for talking to others as well-once you have them they will get used.

TheSpaceMann

Hills could block your signal on 10 or 2 meters, especially if you are using handhelds. If communications need to be 100% reliable in a remote area (as would be in an emergency), I would opt for a satellite phone.

Relic_Man

Thanks for the input and ideas everyone. I really like the idea of having a mobile unit in my truck with more power to relay back to the base station. We had discussed satellite phone I also discovered an emergency satellite communicator so that has the typical push button to be rescued thing. But it also have the option to send text messages to someone's phone through the satellite system somehow. I thought that would be great for emergencies. But I am also simply interested in getting into ham radio in the event of some sort of cataclysm. Well anyway I have plenty of time to do some research. I think we're going to get a couple of 2 meter / 70 centimeter handhelds whenever we get our licenses just as beginner radios and then figure it out from there. Still want to make a pay station at some point though. A friend of ours belongs to the local clubs and volunteers for the safety thing at fairs and events and air shows xcetera. If we do get the handheld versions he already said we really need to get upgraded antennas on them. He just bought a new mobile dual band with a upgraded antenna so I will get to see how well it works before I make a purchase. My main thing is to get my wife up to speed so she can pass the test. It has come more naturally to me because I am a journeyman industrial electrician. So I know the components and all the basics of frequency and amplitude excetera.

Rred

Relic-
As N4 said, 10m is basically CB. Unless you carry a fairly big set and battery and antenna, it won't be suitable at all. Your goal is nothing new, the alternatives have been gone over many times before.
With a 2M typical 5W portable handheld ham radio, yes, you can work a repeater 20 miles away. I've done that, but the repeater was line of sight--on the Empire State Building. You need a LOT of height for line of sight at 20 mile ranges.
With a directional antenna, you still need line of sight for a reliable weak connection, so that's not going to help unless you only hunt on hilltops and there's an equally high repeater to hit.
You may find that the most reliable connection is a low power morse code contact over an HF frequency. Which would mean both of you would need to learn Morse. But, that's the "most powerful" way to get a signal out of the boondocks and into another station, no repeater needed.
No easy solution on that one, except perhaps to carry a SPOT messenger or DeLorme InReach and restrict yourself to short text messages or distress messages, via the satellite networks. That's the only reliable and very portable way to accomplish this goal, IMO. Just a bit costly if you plan to have extended chats with it.(G)

Relic_Man

Morris code definitely interests me I want to learn it. Hopefully my wife will take an interest even if not I can at least teach her her call sign and mine and SOS in Morris code. We could actually probably afford a satellite phone but I just guess I have an interest in keeping the old ways alive, growing up I knew a bunch of older people who were into ham radio too bad I did not have an interest back then, oh what I could have learned from them.

Relic_Man

Hi Rob,
There are some free study sites on line.
How's the ham radio plan going?

A friend who already has his technician license lent to me a book I read the entire book skipping over electrical Theory symbols and basics because I am a journeyman level industrial electrician. Everything else I read made sense took the sample test online and have passed it 3 times in a row. I also did further study into the legal aspects and typical things people get in trouble for. This is always something I do when I start a new hobby to stay out of trouble.

TheSpaceMann

Try a 2 meter beam. They are small and have lots of gain. I talk to my friend who is mobile 70 miles away with no repeater.
Good point! I have a small Elk 2m/440 beam that I use both at the base and portable. I am amazed at how much it can actually extend my range!! :)

TheSpaceMann

Morris code definitely interests me I want to learn it. Hopefully my wife will take an interest even if not I can at least teach her her call sign and mine and SOS in Morris code. We could actually probably afford a satellite phone but I just guess I have an interest in keeping the old ways alive, growing up I knew a bunch of older people who were into ham radio too bad I did not have an interest back then, oh what I could have learned from them.
It's Morse code! I once new a guy named Morris Codinsky!! :)

Rred

SPOT and InReach are not satellite phones. And they are much less expensive to purchase and keep in service. As they can also function as distress beacons, they can be very sensible alternatives.

mitbr

Hi my name is Rob. The wife and I are currently studying to get our technicians licenses. We are taking the test in September. I currently don't own any Ham radios. I am trying to decide what kind to buy. I could use a little help. My primary interest is not so much making contact with strangers around the world but to provide communication between my wife at a base station and me out hunting or fishing or hiking in areas where there is no cell service. Some people have suggested a radio in the 2 meter band 1 base station at the house or camp while I would have a handheld. The distances I would like to cover our from zero 20 miles or so away at the most. I live in the Rolling Hills of southwestern Pennsylvania near Laurel Ridge. It's my understanding that a 2-meter radio would probably need to hit a repeater in order to reach the base from my handheld anywhere basically Beyond line-of-sight. My brilliant idea was to get a 10-meter handheld and base unit. From what I've been able to figure out you can bounce a signal off of the ionosphere hand make long-distance point-to-point communication. My biggest question is if I am 10 or 20 miles away is this to close together to use this type of communication? The 10 meter attracted my attention because of the long distance point-to-point potential. Which I think would be useful in some sort of disaster situation where repeaters might not be working. I am interested in hearing anyone's opinion on my 10 meter Theory for any suggestions as to what type of radios would fit the bill for my scenario.

I would recommend the Yaesu ft 60r handheld....a solid reliable inexpensive handheld.

If your looking for a mobile the Icom Ic 2300h is also a good reliable radio.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.