Kenwood: TH-D74A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
With the release of what purports to be the FCC testing report on Kenwood's new D-STAR HT, referred to in the report as the TH-D74A, I've created a Yahoo! group for anyone interested:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TH-D74A/info

The report is posted in the Files section.

...R

Last edited by a moderator:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A few items gleaned from the test report:

1. It has a micro SD slot.
2. It has Bluetooth.
3. The "B" band has three IFs. Looks like band B has the shortwave reception capability while band A is just 2m and 440 MHz.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
That is all consistent with the previously-announced specs. See, e.g.,:

Kenwood TH-D74A D-Star HT

BTW, Yahoo! is slow to the point of not moving, so be patient as it dribbles me membership requests. Messages are likewise currently taking something like 12 hours to post.

osros

Feed Provider
Yeah keeping an eye out on this one.. I like the display I need stuff easier to read I use a VX8R now just cant take the display anymore to small, that and have to carry the manual around cant remember all the programming options Ha.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I first laid eyes on this HT at Hamvention. Definitely watching and interested in one.
Found this video the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRH7r_XFlM0

I've never tried D-Star. IMHO, ICOM's pricing is wayyyy too high.
Messed around with P25 and DMR a lot though.

Also owned the previous Kenwood APRS radios.

220 is also definitely a feature I'd use around here as we have a good
wide coverage 220 repeater.

Last edited:

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I first laid eyes on this HT at Hamvention. Definitely watching and interested in one.
Found this video the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRH7r_XFlM0

I've never tried D-Star. IMHO, ICOM's pricing is wayyyy too high.
Messed around with P25 and DMR a lot though.

Also owned the previous Kenwood APRS radios.

220 is also definitely a feature I'd use around here as we have a good
wide coverage 220 repeater.

In reference to ICOM's pricing, did you see the price of the Kenwood? $650.....I don't think Icom's are too far off from there. Both too high for me.

Jeff.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
In reference to ICOM's pricing, did you see the price of the Kenwood? $650.....I don't think Icom's are too far off from there. Both too high for me.

Isn't it crazy though? Almost 700 bucks MSRP! Yet those that want to be the first on the air with one will gladly pay up. The pricing will come down once there is a surplus in the market. Happens with all new gear. I don't need one that bad. I can wait.

Comparing 'apples to oranges'...
Which one of the ICOM D-STAR HT's are Tri-Band with 220?
Which ones have a color TFT screen?
Bluetooth? The Kenwood has it, if you need it...

Only the newer ICOM ID-xx series have a built in GPS. The IC-80 & IC-92 didn't even have a GPS.
You had to buy the GPS/Speaker MIC separately. Total out the door was almost $900!!!

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/dstar/dstar/D-STAR_HT_comparison_415.pdf

Last edited:

wrath

What interests me is many comments I have read have said it will not recieve satellite, yet if you look closely at screens shots of the main Radio UI it has APRS , DSTAR, DV , and a picture of a satelitte so it just might still be a sat hunter, it also does SSB & CW so I can't see how that could get left out! Yes the price for the unit is huge , the feature package is impressive and allows some of us to dump the multiple rigs we tote around - the other mystery is Icom is putting out a new IC 91 , one of the features on this brick is the ability to connect to the net and access a central sight using your radio whee you will have international coverage of Dstar and DV modes and simplified command over reflectors and linking and stuff , will that be available to be accessed by other rigs like the Kenwood jnm time , or is this another Icom exclusive feature set , I bought and am now selling my IC 92 because Dstar has not come to my city, however the addition of 220 on he 74 is another probably unused feature set for me because our 1 and only 220 machine and owner have been SK for about 10 years, even though the F.C.C and all the hooks claim the owner and machine at alive and well. If I could get a event antenna in the air I might just start a machine, not like getting coordinated on 2/70 cm where almost every pair is taken, 220 is the wild west around here. And I fully concur with HT coming out with garbage screens , I bought a 72a because of that and loved it same thing with the 710g awesome display and the menu programming could be done by a three year old in about 5 minutes, I had the thing beaconing and doing my weather station before I ever blew CQ . Very easy and intuitive.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What interests me is many comments I have read have said it will not recieve satellite...
Really surprised that anyone would say that. The radio has a GPS receiver in it. What satellite reception are they expecting?

..it also does SSB & CW...
It receives SSB and CW on the HF bands just like the TH-F6A. It does not transmit anything except FM and D-Star.

...the other mystery is Icom is putting out a new IC 91...
I think you are referring to the ID-51 Plus2 which apparently has built-in Wi-Fi so you can use the radio as a D-Star hot spot with Internet connectivity.

mrweather

Jeff.
My local candy store is listing the new Kenwood at $900 (CDN).

Yowza!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
My local candy store is listing the new Kenwood at $900 (CDN).

Yowza!

Well after the Canadian dollar tanked we are throwing away $35 out of $100. So if $650 US, that puts it close to the $900 Canadian. Either way both are way out of my price range!

wrath

Yeah the 74 "debut price" is $650, I have talked to several people in the business who are pretty sure that there will be a significant price increase shortly after they launch them, either way mine is paid for with the important accesories ! Drop in charger ( they should be standard on HT'S) case, and two of the 7.4 v 18,000 mha batteries , because something tells me the smaller 7.4 1100's are gonna be the stock battery? . My wish is that they make a new flagship Mobile version of the 74a to replace the 710g , one Radio to do both APRS and DSTAR is a nice thought, although none of my current mobile antennas have 220 capability, but tribander with digital is something I would invest in . Especially if someone came out with an affordable working model of the Avmap to tie it all together, so far that's entirely lacking in the mobile world , someone like Garmin could have a field day with that , the Avmap was overpriced in every way from hardware through software , never entirely worked right on the best of days , so some new blood into the space by somebody who is already a major player in GPS could work well.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind this radio also has a built in TNC. It just might justify the price tag with everything built into it

wrath

Well from what I read last night it was just a matter of time before this radio was made Kenwood & Icom each own 5 percent of Dstar JARA has the rest , an agreement of some kind was made many many years ago that left the responsibility of making dstar a viable thing was left to Icom well Kenwood was free to do what it wanted ,now that it's real , viable and has a following Kenwood is entering the market, reports say that the 74a is a 72a smashed together with a 51a , the APRS is all Kenwood mending and if you have worked a 72a you allready know hoe to work this , the Dstar side is pure icom UI and with a few tweaks it is a 51a , combining memories was interesting there are 1000 regular memories and 1500 Dstar memories like the never Icom rigs it will listen from spark to space with very sweet reciver and easy mars/cap molding, unlike the 72a it's not true duplex , you can be working APRS on one side and doing Dstar on the other or voice on one and digital on the other just not voice simultaneously and whatever your doing if the rig is beaconing you will lose audio for a split second , I think despite its price it's going to be a hot seller for the holidays ( I would not expect any coupons or deals to be in place) me thinks the stuff that's gonna really be moving is the 74a and the SDR HF rig ) Although I don't have any local dstar action , I think for the holiday I am gonna get one of the latest $129 dongles that decode all 3 of the big players stuff, gives you a wifi dstar Hotspot and a 440 transceiver built in to use , and this Dongle will work win or Linux, plus it does the PSB with APCO25 reception , that Radio and donglengor will make my family think I died because I'll be playing alot of radio, I also can't wait to find out what goodies are stashed in this radio with the special security code , what will that reveal ,the big three have been coming out with stuff to keep us busy and not guessing , so they could have schemed up one he'll of an "Easter egg" that nobody was looking for or expecting , there is alot of talk of another hugely expensive Radio that " I'll buy in a few years when it's a hundred bucks" somehow I think a bunch of those neah sayers are going to clamoring to get there paws on it, it's the first really special rig in many years and somehow I think the ground floor is where you want to get on , kinda like the promises that uniden has yet to fulfil and the claims of whistler "giving" away NXDN decoding on the TRX 1 & 2 someone is on the edge of some really great rigs , who pulls it off who knows .

KD8DVR

D-STAR is just a trade name of ICOMs implementation if the JARA protocol. Any manufacturer could make such a radio, but they'd have to call it something other than d star.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Really surprised that anyone would say that. The radio has a GPS receiver in it. What satellite reception are they expecting?

They're talking about the D72's ability to do full duplex, which makes it great for AMSAT work. Early reports are that the D74 lacks full duplex, and so is much less useful as a satellite rig.

...R

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
It's kenwoods aprs/Dstar radio. That's the European version. Go to HRO and look it up.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

Status
Not open for further replies.