What would be a cheap but working computer controlled radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

I'm looking for a UHF radio that I can control completely with my computer. While some tricks with audio cables allows me to broadcast and receive over a handheld using my PC with the help of Vox, if I stop making noise, the transmission stops. I'm looking for a radio and software where not only does it support two-way audio, but i can use a form of push to talk controlled by my computer, say if I hit a keyboard combination it starts transmitting, my mic, and stops once I release those keys.

I'm new but I've heard of setups like this before, we even have this at our firehouse (but the FD setup is about $4,500). Any suggestions to what I should get, or where I could start looking?

Thank you

K7MEM

It is not that difficult to do what you want, as long as your rig supports it.

What kind of handheld are you trying to use?

Does the rig have rig control capabilities?

Does it have external access to PTT?

We just need to know more about what you are trying to use.

Transceivers, hand held or otherwise, that are capable of rig control, usually have an accessory connector that provides access to the rig's command structure, audio in/out, and PTT. With these kind of rigs, you can can control the band, frequency, mode, etc... directly from the computer.

For example, I have a Icom IC-735 that has rig control capabilities through the C-IV port. I use a home brew interface and can operate it through a serial port on my PC. I also have a old IC-255A. It also has rig control capabilities, but the interface is more complicated. On rigs without rig control, I can usually access the audio In/Out and PTT directly through the microphone connector.

Martin - K7MEM

Kb2Jpd

I'm looking for a UHF radio that I can control completely with my computer. While some tricks with audio cables allows me to broadcast and receive over a handheld using my PC with the help of Vox, if I stop making noise, the transmission stops. I'm looking for a radio and software where not only does it support two-way audio, but i can use a form of push to talk controlled by my computer, say if I hit a keyboard combination it starts transmitting, my mic, and stops once I release those keys.

I'm new but I've heard of setups like this before, we even have this at our firehouse (but the FD setup is about $4,500). Any suggestions to what I should get, or where I could start looking?

Thank you

If you are comfortable with tinkering , get a VOX unit and find the circuit that controls the PTT line. It will probably use either steering diodes or open loop opamps that will swing to positive power rail or ground when it's sees low level audio. Instead of audio, you use a usb, serial or printer port to control the radio.

You still have to run the audio lines to modulate the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.