newly acquired 2m amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2BRI

6f769e199deb0395994b135741cab58f.jpg

I can only tested on .5 watt in 50 out do to my SWR/power meter limit of 60 watt and it was getting almost 55 watts

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

prcguy

I have the exact same amp, bought from GigaParts a few years ago on sale for $209. I use it with an Elecraft KX3 with 2m option for SSB where the KX3 puts out 3w and the Mirage B-310-G does well over 100w. Or at least it did for awhile then burned up the PA transistor right out of warranty. I never abused the amplifier and it was always run into a near perfect match.

Fortunately I had a more rugged replacement transistor laying around and after installing it I carefully tuned the amp for max power and least amount of current draw. I tested the amp with 5w input keyed down for very long periods of time plus ran it without an antenna to make sure it was going to last and so far its holding up fine. If this happens to you and you don't have the skills and parts to repair the amp it will become an expensive paper weight.
prcguy

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
They are handy.. I have an old RF Concepts dual band amp with the GasFET preamp. It's not as powerful. I only get about 30 watts out on 2M and 20 on 440.

They are VERY handy. I have four vehicles. One is dressed up with all my antennas and radio equipment and the others I just use handhelds and a mag mount antenna. I switch them from car to car.

The amp and external antenna make a handheld pretty well equal to a full blown mobile rig.

N2BRI

I have the exact same amp, bought from GigaParts a few years ago on sale for $209. I use it with an Elecraft KX3 with 2m option for SSB where the KX3 puts out 3w and the Mirage B-310-G does well over 100w. Or at least it did for awhile then burned up the PA transistor right out of warranty. I never abused the amplifier and it was always run into a near perfect match.

Fortunately I had a more rugged replacement transistor laying around and after installing it I carefully tuned the amp for max power and least amount of current draw. I tested the amp with 5w input keyed down for very long periods of time plus ran it without an antenna to make sure it was going to last and so far its holding up fine. If this happens to you and you don't have the skills and parts to repair the amp it will become an expensive paper weight.
prcguy
I have a few friends that have the skill to replace the parts if they go.. Is there something that is known to go bad in this amplifier?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.