RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I hooked it directly to the battery. both positive and negative with an inline fuse
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear837 View Post
I hooked it directly to the battery. both positive and negative with an inline fuse
That is usually the preferred way to wire it. You can often incur a voltage drop and insufficient current problems when wiring to other parts of the vehicle. Unwanted noise should be less of a problem too. Glad you got it resolved.

Just an FYI: You should make sure you have inline fuses very close to the battery. If you rely only on fuses close to the radio, you end up with a good length of unprotected wire that has the potential to be shorted out. If that happens, at the very least you'll have melted wires. A vehicle fire or worse on the other end of the spectrum. Given the amount of current a car battery can deliver, this isn't an area the you want to take short cuts.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have a TM271A and if the swr get to high it will cause the same problem. If you change the power setting to low and test that way also.

Old 01-13-2017, 2:31 PM

It is always the best policy to run the radio power conductors directly to the battery through a breaker.
DO NOT cut the fuses out of the ground wire as it is a safety device in case something else goes poof and tries to use the radio power positive line as a return line back to the ground. This will save your radio.
Trust me! As a young ham in a far distant past I have made this mistake and learned exspensively from it
Old 01-13-2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear837 View Post
Thanks for posting the update.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2017, 1:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Still hasn't identified the frequency or if he has a license.