RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2017, 8:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Will a external JPole overload a HT?

I've been thinking about moving my small 2m mobile radio from my desk and replacing it with a HT on some kind of stand.

I would still like to use my attic mounted JPole. How do you think my HT would like that?
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2017, 8:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A properly tuned antenna shouldn't overload any radio, especially at the power level you want to use. QRP operators use very low output into full size antennas and talk great distances
Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Actually, you might have some issues on receive. It's not unusual for someone to connect a handheld antenna to a mag-mount antenna on their car and find that they have to deal with all kinds of interference that the radio didn't receive before with just the rubber duck.

OTOH, a j-pole in an attic already has some reception challenges, so my guess is that you won't notice any problems. If you were talking about a 6 dB gain antenna at the top of a 75-foot tower, my answer might be different.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 06-09-2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
A properly tuned antenna shouldn't overload any radio, especially at the power level you want to use. QRP operators use very low output into full size antennas and talk great distances
The "tuning" of the antenna has nothing to do if the radio will be overloaded. If the radio has proper front end filtering and is selective it'll be fine. If it it has a weak front end or is a cheap SDR radio, it'll likely be unusable on any external antenna.
Old 06-10-2017, 9:15 PM

Mobile radios tend to have better front ends that can handle signals better

If you look around the forums you will see a lot of people saying their Baofeng or similar it goes deaf with an outside antenna

Hts are designed to use the antenna they come with

Adding bigger antennas usually causes increased interference and desense
Sponsored links