RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 3:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans13 View Post
He only wanted me to send it to the manufacturer and it seemed like he was going to really drag his heels on a refund if I returned it. I had the radio in my possession for less than an hour (they could've even checked with the carrier).
That is unfortunate. The last sentence here should have been in your first post. I've never had any problem dealing with HRO myself, but understand that occasionally these things happen.
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2017, 6:09 PM

In CA and many states you have the right to return a defective product to the store you bought it from for replacement or full refund. In CA that is up to 7 days unless they prominently display a no return policy at the door, at the cash register and on the item, etc, so it cannot be missed.

At that point the store has to do all the footwork and return to mfr or whatever it takes and the customer is free from any burden.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans13 View Post
Firsty, I didn't try to muscle anyone. I resent the implication. I was polite and professional. I told him that if it was just a personal radio, I wouldn't care about a little plastic between the shield and would just use. But, that was not the case as I had to convince a group not only of what to purchase but where as well. Also, he seemed really reluctant to just outright just take it back for a refund. We now purchase from our original supplier where such an issue is handled much better.

Many moons ago, I worked in retail and had my own shop. If something was defective out of the gate, returning it was not a problem. We didn't hem and haw.

This was a shipped item, hence, "ship it back" was in my post.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And where I work, every invoice clearly states in triplicate that the minute you walk out of the store, any problems must be dealt with by the mfr, and the customer must sign the invoice that he understands this. Too many people take a brand new radio home, & swap the guts to put in their dead, out of warranty radio, & try to return their "new radio" the next day. Sadly, this ruins it for everybody, & this is why the radio stores have the no return, send the defective radio to the mfr policy. The mfr is able to identify brand new radios with 2 year old circuit boards inside.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
That is unfortunate. The last sentence here should have been in your first post. I've never had any problem dealing with HRO myself, but understand that occasionally these things happen.
My posts are usually too long so I try to cut them down. Sometimes I forget that this is the internet and people do not know me IRL so more detail might be necessary. Those who do know me IRL generally consider me polite and fair.

Then again, it was only one data point... One experience of one person. A lot of people like HRO and that tells me that my experience likely wasn't the norm. i don't purchase radios often so I tend to avoid places with which I've had a bad experience. Genuine politeness and a willingness to try to help make all of the difference IMHO, even if my problem doesn't get solved. I figure, at least they tried and that's usually all I can ask for.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:35 PM

BTW: I still use that radio as my everyday dual-bander. It works fine. I never ended up using that specific radio for the group presentation though. Eventually, I might open up the display and remove the plastic. Then again, I rarely notice it... but that's just me.
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2017, 6:47 PM

I would not do business with your store on those terms and you would soon be out of business around here. Too many other retailers will take care of the customer and swap out a defective radio or whatever and the customer (me) leaves very happy. Our state is run by a bunch of kooks, but they do pass laws that protect their fellow kooks and that trickles down to me, the happy customer who is never waiting weeks for the mfr to repair an out of the box defect that the store won't take back.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
And where I work, every invoice clearly states in triplicate that the minute you walk out of the store, any problems must be dealt with by the mfr, and the customer must sign the invoice that he understands this. Too many people take a brand new radio home, & swap the guts to put in their dead, out of warranty radio, & try to return their "new radio" the next day. Sadly, this ruins it for everybody, & this is why the radio stores have the no return, send the defective radio to the mfr policy. The mfr is able to identify brand new radios with 2 year old circuit boards inside.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well that's sad, because we are a chain of 8 stores, & the largest in the SE USA. We have more inventory than any other vendor in 1000 miles. Because we buy in such huge quantity, our prices are 10-20% lower than the competition. The boss has been conducting business for 38 years keeping to his policies, & he owns many exotic cars, so he must be doing something right. To repeat myself, if our customer has a problem with an item purchased yesterday, the store tech will try to make it right if he can do it in 5 minutes. And many times he is successful. But if he can not, the customer must send the item to the mfr.

Last edited by N4KVE; 12-06-2017 at 7:03 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 5:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Return

If you purchased the radio in June, you will be lucky if Yaesu repairs it at no charge.