MARS MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

I was looking at the Icom 7300 on GigiParts website and the offer a mod service. GigaParts MARS Mod Level 5. Looks like it opens up more channels.

What are these channels? Why arent the available without mod?

----------------------

To make an amateur radio capable of transmitting just outside of the amateur radio bands, this service usually involves the removal of a surface mount component inside of an amateur radio (along with some additional steps).

By having GigaParts perform this modification, you will retain the manufacturer warranty backed by GigaParts (should a problem arise from the modification we perform). Damage caused to the radio by transmitting too far out of its intended frequency range is not covered under warranty.

This service is usually performed for licensed operators from the Military Auxiliary Radio Service (MARS) or Civil Air Patrol (CAP), but we do not require proof of license to order this service. It is the responsibilty of each radio operator to make sure they are in compliance with FCC regulations regarding frequency usage, power output, and accepted equipment.

Icom 7300

RiverCity45

I was looking at the Icom 7300 on GigiParts website and the offer a mod service. GigaParts MARS Mod Level 5. Looks like it opens up more channels.

What are these channels? Why arent the available without mod?

----------------------

To make an amateur radio capable of transmitting just outside of the amateur radio bands, this service usually involves the removal of a surface mount component inside of an amateur radio (along with some additional steps).

By having GigaParts perform this modification, you will retain the manufacturer warranty backed by GigaParts (should a problem arise from the modification we perform). Damage caused to the radio by transmitting too far out of its intended frequency range is not covered under warranty.

This service is usually performed for licensed operators from the Military Auxiliary Radio Service (MARS) or Civil Air Patrol (CAP), but we do not require proof of license to order this service. It is the responsibilty of each radio operator to make sure they are in compliance with FCC regulations regarding frequency usage, power output, and accepted equipment.

Icom 7300
Not legal for hams to use, because outside the US ham bands. For people who are trained and authorized to provide communications for the Military Auxiliary Radio System, the mod is required to transmit on those frequencies. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Auxiliary_Radio_System

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Registered MARS operators are authorized to transmit on specific frequencies outside the amateur radio bands for a specific purpose. If you are a member of MARS or plan to be in the future, then the mod might be worth it.

At one time, CAP also had operators who were authorized to transmit on specific non-amateur frequencies, but I think that has pretty much gone by the wayside.

Unless you really need to transmit in MARS, or CAP, I would avoid having the modification done. Icom manufacturers the radio and guarantees its performance in the amateur bands only.

Voyager

Correct me if I'm wrong, but about 10 years ago CAP eliminated the authorization to use modified ham rigs.

They now have rules which prohibit any radio that displays actual frequencies, too.

prcguy

The MARS mod on the Icom 7300 opens up continuous transmit from about 1MHz to 74.8Mhz. Its real handy for bench testing stuff but you have to be careful when plugged into an antenna. There are still some US Govt organizations that allow modified amateur transceivers on NTIA frequencies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but about 10 years ago CAP eliminated the authorization to use modified ham rigs.

They now have rules which prohibit any radio that displays actual frequencies, too.

MSS-Dave

----------------------

Icom 7300

Is this a quote from Gigaparts directly? I'm just curious as it says they'll do the MARS or CAP mod but they don't require proof of license. Seems odd that a dealer of this size would modify a ham radio without some form of an authorization for CAP or MARS. It definitely is the operator's responsibility to transmit only where they're authorized but there's also some legality about providing a radio new in a box that will transmit on like 27 megahertz for instance with a VFO and more than 4 watts AM / 12 watts PEP.

I know, there are high powered CB radios all over the place that aren't type accepted but my question goes towards a dealer modifying without authorization proof and selling as new......

prcguy

A responsible mfr or dealer would ask for a license but its not illegal to simply posses a radio capable of transmitting on frequencies you are not licensed for. Radio dealers make quick $$ modifying radios, so they do it all the time. I have piles and piles of HF/VHF and UHF radios around here and you would be hard pressed to find one that only covers amateur bands. Although I do have licenses issued through the NITA that would cover many of the opened up radios if needed.

Is this a quote from Gigaparts directly? I'm just curious as it says they'll do the MARS or CAP mod but they don't require proof of license. Seems odd that a dealer of this size would modify a ham radio without some form of an authorization for CAP or MARS. It definitely is the operator's responsibility to transmit only where they're authorized but there's also some legality about providing a radio new in a box that will transmit on like 27 megahertz for instance with a VFO and more than 4 watts AM / 12 watts PEP.

I know, there are high powered CB radios all over the place that aren't type accepted but my question goes towards a dealer modifying without authorization proof and selling as new......

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

...its not illegal to simply posses a radio capable of transmitting on frequencies you are not licensed for. ...

This is a widely accepted myth among many radio hobbyists.

“Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a
transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.”

47 CFR §90.427 subdivision (b)

(Where a rule within a part applies only to licensees under that part, the rule will refer directly to licensees. Where a rule says “no person” it applies to everyone.)

prcguy

Programming a frequency for which a licensee is not authorized is completely different than modifying a radio to be capable of transmitting anywhere. That is perfectly legal for anyone who doesn't even have a license. Programming a specific frequency that you are not authorized is covered by the rules. Two different things, one covered by a rule, the other not.

You can take an all frequency modified Icom 7300 with power supply and antenna into the office of head guy for the FCC, power it up on his desk and he can only tell you to leave his office, there is noting he can do about the modified radio unless you transmit on a frequency you are not licensed for.

I think this question was asked to Riley Hollingsworth in a public forum and his response was the same as mine.

For those who do work with Govt agencies, those frequencies are governed by the NITA and out of the FCC's jurisdiction unless misused.

This is a widely accepted myth among many radio hobbyists.

“Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a
transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.”

47 CFR §90.427 subdivision (b)

(Where a rule within a part applies only to licensees under that part, the rule will refer directly to licensees. Where a rule says “no person” it applies to everyone.)

Will001

Premium Subscriber

Yes, that is correct. Amateur radio equipment isn’t built to the same standards as public safety equipment. It also has to do with NTIA compliance. About the no-display of frequencies, it is a policy not to disclose any CAP-related frequencies EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n5ims

one good thing your tuner will work on SWL

The MARS Mod has no affect on the receiver which already covers the full range of SWL frequencies out of the box without modifications.

From the IC-7300 specs: "RX Frequencies: 0.030-74.800" (although Icom does qualify that a bit "* Some frequency bands are not guaranteed. ** Guaranteed range: 0.500–29.999, 50.000–54.000MHz."). IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER - Specifications - Icom America

prcguy

I think what was meant is with the MARS mod you can hit the tune button in the SW bands and have the internal tuner tweak the match. That is possible but not recommended out of the amateur bands for obvious reasons.

The MARS Mod has no affect on the receiver which already covers the full range of SWL frequencies out of the box without modifications.

From the IC-7300 specs: "RX Frequencies: 0.030-74.800" (although Icom does qualify that a bit "* Some frequency bands are not guaranteed. ** Guaranteed range: 0.500–29.999, 50.000–54.000MHz."). IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER - Specifications - Icom America

n5ims

I think what was meant is with the MARS mod you can hit the tune button in the SW bands and have the internal tuner tweak the match. That is possible but not recommended out of the amateur bands for obvious reasons.

Understand what the comment was now. Thanks! (and I agree about it not being recommended).

Voyager

But does the TUNER work? If used in conjunction with a dummy load, that would be legal.

One basic question which applies to SO many recent rigs: Does the 7300 have 60M opened by default? Many recent radios require the MARS mod to allow access to 60M which is a legal ham band.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
From the IC-7300 brochure and manual:

Frequency coverage (Unit: MHz)

Receiver*1 0.030–74.800*3

Transmitter*1 1.800–1.999, 3.500–3.999, 5.255–5.405*2, 7.000–7.300, 10.100–10.150, 14.000–14.350, 18.068–18.168, 21.000–21.450, 24.890–24.990, 28.000–29.700, 50.000–54.000

*1 USA version. Varies according to version.
*2 Some frequency bands are not guaranteed.
*3 Guaranteed range: 0.500–29.999, 50.000–54.000 MHz.

jhooten

But does the TUNER work? If used in conjunction with a dummy load, that would be legal.

One basic question which applies to SO many recent rigs: Does the 7300 have 60M opened by default? Many recent radios require the MARS mod to allow access to 60M which is a legal ham band.

But defeat the purpose. You would be tuning the dummy load not the antenna.

Voyager

But defeat the purpose. You would be tuning the dummy load not the antenna.

True, it would only be relevant to a 50 ohm load (assuming your load is 50 ohm), but being mis-tuned affects reception. You would still be tuning the radio circuitry to the frequency in question which would be close to what the antenna is presenting.

After all, you can't tune it into the antenna. (well, not legally)

prcguy

If you hit the tune button into a 50 ohm resistive load the radio will usually bypass the tuner.

True, it would only be relevant to a 50 ohm load (assuming your load is 50 ohm), but being mis-tuned affects reception. You would still be tuning the radio circuitry to the frequency in question which would be close to what the antenna is presenting.

After all, you can't tune it into the antenna. (well, not legally)

Status
Not open for further replies.