Handheld Transceiver vs IC-R30 or DV10

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
My current handheld does not have wideband coverage. I'm looking into buying a handheld with wideband coverage and CW and SSB modes, because I want to listen to these modes without having to set up and tune my antenna on my apartment balcony and warm up my table transceiver, as I have to do every time I operate. I'm learning CW now and want to be able to more easily listen to CW on the bands as I learn, as well as having the other benefits of wideband coverage for listening to voice, aircraft, etc.

Here's the big question: is it smarter for my purposes to go with one of the nifty new handhelds from Kenwood or Yeasu, or should I go for a AOR DV-10 or Icom IC-R30, when they are available and the kinks have been worked out of them?

Would the pure receivers have significantly better sensitivity and selectivity in real-life use? I'm not sure, judging just from their advertised components and architecture. They do have wider frequency coverage, too, compared to the new Kenwood handheld, for example. However, the practical side of me thinks I should buy a transceiver, so I can use it to communicate - not just listen. I do enjoy the weekly club 2-meter net, and we have a D-star repeater, too. Then there is the possibility of emergency use - for which a transceiver would be a help.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help, in advance!

Jeff

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Regarding sensitivity, the handheld communications receiver might be the way to go. You won't limit yourself to voices & modes received. I have a Kenwood TH-D74 and once had an Icom IC-R20. Overall the IC-R20 was more receptive on the HF bands for CW & SSB but as you mentioned, the only drawback to these is no TX. I have yet to get my hands on either the R30 or DV10 but hopefully that will change soon. I included a chart comparing the R30 with the DV10 and current-gen scanners with regards to voices received. I was also fortunate enough to snag a gently used DV1 on ebay for a fraction of the MSRP. Solid radio for a base unit but it isn't without its flaws. Worth as much as the $1200 price tag? Probably not.

Good luck with your purchase & 73

Attachments

• AR DV1 Modes.jpg
    AR DV1 Modes.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,243
Last edited:

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
wow - great chart!

Thanks John! That's a great chart! Thanks also for your advice and real-world experience. I suspected that the new receivers will be very sensitive for their size. Advances in technology are leading to some tough choices - although some of the decisions will be dictated by the hefty price tags on these products.

Jeff

AlphaFive

Receivers

Also from me, Great Chart! The four receivers you have listed are the four I am gnashing my teeth over trying to decide which one I am going to INVEST in. The only thing that keeps me from making up my mind is the wider band coverage on the ICOMs. Which is more important, better Mode choices, or,,, wider band coverage. Arghhhhhhhhh

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Also from me, Great Chart! The four receivers you have listed are the four I am gnashing my teeth over trying to decide which one I am going to INVEST in. The only thing that keeps me from making up my mind is the wider band coverage on the ICOMs. Which is more important, better Mode choices, or,,, wider band coverage. Arghhhhhhhhh

Yes, it is a dilemma. We will also probably have to wait for a year or more to get real-world reviews about the performance of the new radios, speaker volume, etc. If these products only cost $100, it wouldn't be such a difficult decision....but the prices are hefty. Some on these boards have said that the IC-R30 should be offered at a lower price than the DV-10, but I don't know if that will be true in reality.

CQ

Maybe Two or Three?

NXDN is now offered on the Unidens. You probably want to contact the creator of that chart and have them add the SDS100 to it.

You're better off getting separate radios, especially for HF since you'll need another antenna for HF where you'll find CW and SSB.

Why don't you get a lower cost HF receiver or transceiver and a scanner that can handle what's out there now like the Unidens (wait until next month for the SDS100). You can then get yourself one of the digital HTs with extended receive and be able to listen and talk simultaneously. One radio just doesn't cut it.

If you only want one of the two listed above, the AOR AR-DV10 is my pick.

Last edited:

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Choice of Radios

NXDN is now offered on the Unidens. You probably want to contact the creator of that chart and have them add the SDS100 to it.

You're better off getting separate radios, especially for HF since you'll need another antenna for HF where you'll find CW and SSB.

Why don't you get a lower cost HF receiver or transceiver and a scanner that can handle what's out there now like the Unidens (wait until next month for the SDS100). You can then get yourself one of the digital HTs with extended receive and be able to listen and talk simultaneously. One radio just doesn't cut it.

If you only want one of the two listed above, the AOR AR-DV10 is my pick.

I think you're right that it is better to get a separate radio for just monitoring ssb on HF, as opposed to doing that and also having the ability to transmit on VHF. But of course, all of that excellence costs money. That's why I'm considering the IC-R30 - while the AOR DV10 would be my pick, if I can afford it, the IC-R30 will reportedly cost significantly less. If that is true, then it becomes a reasonable choice for those of us who don't mind missing out on some modes the DV10 will hear and decode.

I am very tempted by the SDS100, and I've always wanted and never owned a scanner. However, I have passed up the opportunity to buy the Unication G4 or G5 recently at great prices, because I am reluctant to invest substantial sums in a radio that specializes in decoding trunking systems when my local police forces might go all encrypted soon.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I agree with the thought to get a less expensive table-top receiver for HF and a handheld scanner that includes at least the newer modes that are in use near you. Practically speaking, HF listening really requires a long wire antenna to bring in the signals and HF also lends itself more to "armchair" listening. A handheld VHF/UHF scanner is more suitable for on-the-go and event-based listening.
And finally, - this is important - don't make the mistake of thinking that most (any?) wide-band communications receivers (Icom R-whatever, etc.) would also serve as a good scanner - they absolutely don't! While most are capable of some limited scan function, they can't come close to the speed and programming flexibility of a real, purpose-built scanner.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Good Points

I agree with the thought to get a less expensive table-top receiver for HF and a handheld scanner that includes at least the newer modes that are in use near you. Practically speaking, HF listening really requires a long wire antenna to bring in the signals and HF also lends itself more to "armchair" listening. A handheld VHF/UHF scanner is more suitable for on-the-go and event-based listening.
And finally, - this is important - don't make the mistake of thinking that most (any?) wide-band communications receivers (Icom R-whatever, etc.) would also serve as a good scanner - they absolutely don't! While most are capable of some limited scan function, they can't come close to the speed and programming flexibility of a real, purpose-built scanner.

chief21: those are good points, thanks. I really will need to make up my mind about whether to focus on the ham radio skills I want to develop (getting better at reading CW and passing the Extra exam), or whether I can do that as well as buy a receiver that can decode P25 trunking systems and listen to fire and police, also. I have come close to buying a scanner or a Unication pager product, but have backed away because I am afraid my local police systems will go all-encrypted. I don't know if the investment is a wise one for my area.

I have been sorely tempted by the Unication products, due to their performance and quality. If I don't buy one by the end of September, I will probably not buy one at all, because the prices of the G4 and G5 are allegedly going to increase then. I might just focus on ham radio, which will probably mean I end up buying a IC-R30 in the next six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.