Crossing the Canada/United States border

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNM

Feed Provider
Good day all,

I'm new to amateur radio and have my car equipped with a Yaesu FT-7800R radio. I like travelling to the USA by car since I live close to the border, but I'm just wondering what to expect with this kind of equipment in my car since I haven't crossed since I installed it.

Should I bring anything extra, like documentation or anything? Should I also expect more questions about the equipment in my car?

This is just more curiosity of what to expect when crossing. I have NEXUS pre-clearance if that helps or makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for all your insight.

kilowa22

Just have your ham radio license with you when you cross the border. It shouldn't be a problem, just have it turned off when at the checkpoint and your less likely to get any questions.

KR4BD

The U.S. and Canada have a reciprocal agreement for ham radio operation. In short, U.S. hams can operate in Canada and vica-versa so long as they properly identify themselves. If I were to operate in Ontario, I believe the correct way for me to ID would be VE3/KR4BD, etc. I have driven in Canada with my ham rigs and antennas and not had any problems at the border. However, I would definitely have my license with me....just in case there is a problem.

Duster40

Correct....my concern was for a new Canadian ham knowing
how to identify himself correctly on the radio when in the States...
I have heard snowbirds passing through my area identifying
as "VExxxx operating W5"........and 'VExxxxx stroke W5'

PeterGV

K1PGV
I can never remember these rules, so I took the opportunity to look this up.

From FCC rules, part 97.119(g) (emphasis added):

(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of §97.107 of this part, an indicator consisting of the appropriate letter-numeral designating the station location must be included before the call sign that was issued to the station by the country granting the license. For an amateur service license granted by the Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included after the call sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the identification announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state, commonwealth or possession.

It always pays to look it up: Part 97 - Amateur Radio

So, indeed "VE3ABC stroke W1" (adding something like "in Manchester New Hampshire", if that was your location, at least once per QSO) would be correct.

Peter
K1PGV

Not a Problem!

I live in the states and own property in Nova Scotia. My vehicle has a clearly-visible full console of two-way equipment (ham and commercial), and no Border Patrol officer of either country has even so much as mentioned my radios. 73...

steveh552

I live in the states and own property in Nova Scotia. My vehicle has a clearly-visible full console of two-way equipment (ham and commercial), and no Border Patrol officer of either country has even so much as mentioned my radios. 73...

Please tell me you placed a pic of this in the Shack Photos section.

That goes for everyone who has mentioned mobile rigs, some of us enjoy looking at these photos.

Thread Jack Over.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
If your radio equipment is Legal, and you have the documents to proove your an authorized HAM, they can't give you too much greif...they might do a vehicle search, but if they do, its only to ensure your not bringing explosives and other illegal crap like that...and thats their job, dont be offended or mad about it.

I always Vacuum my car, and clean it out before I hit the border, so there isnt anything I dont know about in there, for them to find... and I always shave my face, and try to look respectable too..sounds weird, but I bet it makes a bit of a difference..

Its pretty much a known fact that they check out a % of people who are crossing the borders, and I think thats a good thing, cause who knows what some crazy people are thinking these days...just be prepaired for the situation, as it may arise, and dont take it personal, and get mad at the dudes, cause that wont get you anywhere :)

D

DaveNF2G

put some donuts in another big clear bag.

j/k

Seriously, have your ham license and your U.S. Passport with you and you should have no problems about radios in either direction.

In place of the passport, you can get the Enhanced NYS Driver License. You should be aware, though, that it is not as useful as a passport in some situations. It is only good for crossing the Canadian and Mexican borders on the ground. You can't fly in or out with the Enhanced license. For that you need a real passport.

Status
Not open for further replies.