Heathkit 2036A Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamradiook

HI Hope we might have someone that can troubleshoot this trans ceiver. Receive works fine. On the transmit side, key the mic and it KICKS out in one second. No movement of the SWR meter. Take of antenna and put dummy load on and works fine will say in transmit mode till you let of the MIC, and swr meter reads.
Cant seam to fine the problem????????

John

fineshot1

HI Hope we might have someone that can troubleshoot this trans ceiver. Receive works fine. On the transmit side, key the mic and it KICKS out in one second. No movement of the SWR meter. Take of antenna and put dummy load on and works fine will say in transmit mode till you let of the MIC, and swr meter reads.
Cant seam to fine the problem????????

John

A dummy load simulates a perfect antenna load which is typically 50 ohms.

What were you using as an antenna prior to hooking up the dummy load as
that sounds like it was your problem?

hamradiook

antenna

Im not doing the work one of the guys in our Ham club is, BUT he has the same radio that he bought ne in the day and his works fine with same antenna. I think its a home made J pole??

John

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I think he meant to type "take off" the antenna and put on a "dummy load" and all is well. Sounds like the antenna, antenna feed line or one of the connectors is the problem?

hamradiook

heath 2036A

OK my ham buddy that is actually doing the work is at churc rigtht now. Will forward all this. I think ,but will recheck with him that he has checked all that. Like i said before he has one of the 2036s that he bought new in the day. Its in his truck and he has been using it all these years. I think he has had mine in there and that didnt fix it. ill get back to everyone later in the day. have a great holiday week end.
John KN5UPS

k8tmk

Having written the manual for the HW-2036A, I have three of them here in use all the time. Never a problem with any of them.

I agree that the external antenna must be the problem. A high VSWR is obviously causing the radio to "go out of lock."

Randy

gcgrotz

Try aligning the synthesizer. An out of lock condition will cause it to unkey. I have a vague memory of that happening to mine way back. I just sold that thing a couple years ago, still worked great, 9.5 watts.

hamradiook

heathkit 2036 wont stay locked on transmit

I just got a note today from Earl who is in our ham club here, and is doing the work.
He has been out of town and not worked on the radio. He did say he thinks he found it. Couple diodes bad in the synthesizer circuit. Close to the back of the board near the finals and the antenna jack. he will replace them tonight and well see if that does it.

John KN5UPS

SAR923

John, make sure you recheck that antenna before you transmit again. A high SWR can fry diodes in the final, so that may be the cause of your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.