IRLP for Windows???

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

I have been searching the world over, well the internet that is, but it seems there is nobody taking on the project of putting IRLP on Windows. At least not that i can find?

Seems they are only supporting Linux and use of their proprietary interface. I say proprietary because you can't do anything unless you purchase their interface, if i am wrong correct me as i couldn't find any answers online.

Also, the folks running the IRLP.net website are rather rude at best, i sent them an email questioning them on a few things and got a reply so rude that i won't post it here, but needless to say it left a very bitter taste for IRLP in general if these are the kind of people supporting the project.

Here are the biggest problems i have with IRLP though.

1. Linux - I despise Linux. I'm sorry if you like it, thats fine i'm happy for you, really i am, i'm not going to push Windows on you, and i don't want you to push Linux on me. I deal with computers on a daily basis, fix them to support my family, all i do is eat, sleep, and live, computers. I'm the bonafide computer geek, but i HATE Linux. Its cryptic installation and setup of software and hardware is enough to drive a person to insanity. What takes me seconds on Windows takes me an hour on Linux.

2. Cost - $188 for an interface and software, along with a MANDATORY donation of $40 when you purchase it. Excuse me?? Let me try it and see if i feel its worth the $40 first. I am a strong believer that those who want to donate will, you can't force a donation, unless your also giving some kind of guarantee. I know, i will pay the donation up front ONLY if i have the option for a full refund within 30 days of purchase or some such. But to force me to pay another $40 on top of an already overpriced interface?

3. Support - If your going to be proud of something thats one thing, but to reply to emails in a manner in which you bash, HAMS, SOFTWARE, COMPUTERS, and OTHER VOIP SOFTWARE, while still claiming to be the best thing that ever happened to Amateur Radio is a bit too much for me to stomach. Literally in one email these guys bashed everything i could think of, some sales pitch! I hate to think what they would be like if i actually had a problem? What is my mandatory donation paying for? This guy actually said i was just being, and i quote "an idiot for being stuck using Microsoft products that are no good for anyone, and a cheap (expletive deleted) ham for asking about the donation"

Ok, i said i wasnt going to bash Linux... But i have to make one comment on the quote. Microsoft rules the roost when it comes to productivity and business based software. Most of the homes in America, and the world, have Windows based computers. Some are Mac, some are PC's with Linux, but lets face it Microsoft dominates. To shut out most of the world with a comment like that is just showing me how little you care about your customers anyway. They are basically saying its our way or no way. He went on to mention that they do sell a complete package ready to run for $699... What really? Ouch... Almost $700 for a turd in a box in my opinion. Well you know what i mean, its not worth that when you look at what it cost to produce, they are making like 75% profit or more.

So at this point its looking like eQSO is the way to go for what i am trying to accomplish, linking two repeaters together via the internet, too far apart for an RF link. And eQSO is free, requires a simple registration, and the hardware interface is something i can breadboard in less than a hour with great results.

But again, if anyone knows of someone buildng a competing interface for IRLP use and it works with Windows please chime in!

(FLAME RESISTANT UNDIES ARE NOW IN PLACE)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
kb0nly;

Sorry to hear that you had such a negitive experience with the guys at IRLP.net. When Dave first developed IRLP he tried to use Windows but could not get the functionality that he was looking for. As a result of the very early development Dave decided to use Linux. I used to live in one of the first areas that had a functional node after Vancouver BC, it seems like such a long time ago. IRLP is a great system, it wirks so well that it has been used in a public safety application in Alberta werre RF/Sat links were either not possible or cost prohibitive. Sorry to hear that one email turned you off the system.

rfguygg

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Check out the new Allstar system to link your repeaters. But be warned, it's Linux as well.

Regarding Linux and IRLP. The install is incredibly easy. There is a script that does all the work. Once it's installed there are a couple text files to edit, you make a backup and forget about the machine till it dies.

K

kb0nly

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Check out the new Allstar system to link your repeaters. But be warned, it's Linux as well.

Regarding Linux and IRLP. The install is incredibly easy. There is a script that does all the work. Once it's installed there are a couple text files to edit, you make a backup and forget about the machine till it dies.

Provided Allstar doesnt need proprietary hardware i will look into that as well. The biggest turnoff of IRLP is having to buy their interface and pay out of the butt for it.

tekshogun

I would disagree that you are "paying out the butt" for the IRLP interface. Especially considering that Yaesu's WIRES is similar in cost and works pretty much the same.

EchoLink and eQSO were both developed primarily as software for end users. Being able to link repeaters was a benefit in that all you needed to do was create an interface that switches between TX/RX and could pass the audio both ways.

Sure, IRLP is proprietary, but when it was created, there wasn't else much like it. The other alternative gateway linking system if far more expensive to get into and more exclusive and that is D-STAR, which is a nice system but like I said, getting a gateway going with repeater and all is EXPENSIVE. Buying a radio that works on D-STAR is EXPENSIVE although groups are adopting it all over the world and many international contacts are being made through it.

All in all, IRLP really isn't that bad and it is exclusively for RF-to-VoIP-to-RF where EchoLink and eQSO can and often is used without any radio.

Different strokes for different people much like Windows and Linux. And just a note about Linux. You can't really generalize Linux. There are hundreds of distributions out there and they're only as easy as the distributor makes them. Some are easier than Windows ever has been to install and get going and some are indeed so cryptic that it makes no sense why any normal person would want to use them, but like IRLP, linux was not made for just anyone. Note how eQSO was made for hams, CB (PMR Radio software), and shortwave.

The more players you add to the game, the more the rules change...

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

I would disagree that you are "paying out the butt" for the IRLP interface. Especially considering that Yaesu's WIRES is similar in cost and works pretty much the same.

EchoLink and eQSO were both developed primarily as software for end users. Being able to link repeaters was a benefit in that all you needed to do was create an interface that switches between TX/RX and could pass the audio both ways.

Sure, IRLP is proprietary, but when it was created, there wasn't else much like it. The other alternative gateway linking system if far more expensive to get into and more exclusive and that is D-STAR, which is a nice system but like I said, getting a gateway going with repeater and all is EXPENSIVE. Buying a radio that works on D-STAR is EXPENSIVE although groups are adopting it all over the world and many international contacts are being made through it.

All in all, IRLP really isn't that bad and it is exclusively for RF-to-VoIP-to-RF where EchoLink and eQSO can and often is used without any radio.

Different strokes for different people much like Windows and Linux. And just a note about Linux. You can't really generalize Linux. There are hundreds of distributions out there and they're only as easy as the distributor makes them. Some are easier than Windows ever has been to install and get going and some are indeed so cryptic that it makes no sense why any normal person would want to use them, but like IRLP, linux was not made for just anyone. Note how eQSO was made for hams, CB (PMR Radio software), and shortwave.

The more players you add to the game, the more the rules change...

Paying $188 for an interface card that could be homebrewed for a lot less and a mandatory donation before even getting to try it is why i give it the insane price award for what it is. Paying out the butt still stands.

eQSO however has a dedicated server and gateway version of its software now. That's the way i am going. Cost me $10 in parts to build another audio/ptt interface to go between the link port on my repeaters controller and the computer. Registration of eQSO took a few days, scanning license and submitting, etc.

The other end will be another ham running the server version, we will password protect it and make it a private server. With a free account from No-IP.org for a redirect we now have all we need for about $10 per user. The goal here is link in a couple repeaters to a more distant one owned by the club. We are trying to increase activity by linking together some smaller area repeaters. I already linked two of the club repeaters together via RF a couple years ago.

Anyway, IRLP doesn't seem very ham friendy to me. eQSO is free, secure, and can be put together with junk box parts. That's the real spirit of this hobby.

In a matter of weeks it should all be done and on the air. Just waiting for a few things to arrive and spare time to finish it all up.

tekshogun

Like I said, different strokes for different people.

All in all, I wish you luck with your linking project and actually would like to see a report of what you've done.

K

kb0nly

Like I said, different strokes for different people.

All in all, I wish you luck with your linking project and actually would like to see a report of what you've done.

Reviving a thread from the dead here...

I got a few PM's asking about this project.

I dumped eQso and went with Echolink, both ends are locked down to only allow stations put in the list, being the stations linked and a select few that wanted access via computer or Android based phones. It has been pretty flawless and going on almost a year now, so nothing i can complain about. The remote access interface of Echolink is nice, i can connect and disconnect all stations through a web page based interface, and i can monitor all connects and disconnects and everything i need to basically using the web browser on my phone from anywhere. IRLP can't do everything i do with it on a daily basis.

But basically Echolink has been serving quite nicely as a VOIP link between the two repeaters, and its been nice having that!

Was having too many reliability problems with eQSO and the options i wanted weren't all there. It did work however, just not that well.

rico47635

Ha! That's great that you discovered Echolink on your own, seeing as how that is what I was going to suggest. Glad it's working out well for you.

travisd

I realize this is a revived thread, but out of curiosity I went over and checked out the IRLP ordering page. At least now, in the drop downs, there's clearly options to forego the donations, and even the Linux CD if you want to install your own flavor. Looks like the cheapest board-only package is US$123 at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.