Amateur License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

Awhile back, we had a thread here about Amateur License Plates. Well, today I (finally) got my Amateur Plates today (I have been waiting for about three months). I was just wondering who all has their call on their license plates? Granted, here in Missouri they are just the "flat" printed on plate. Here they charged me $15 for the application and making the plate, and I had to pay a "whopping" $3.50 today for the paperwork to change it over (I just so happened to renew them on 7/9, because I did not know when they where going to come).

I was reading online (I think it was a Wiki article) that some states actually let you have your call on more than one vehicle, with sometimes with a -2 (or more). But I am happy now -- I have my Icom in the truck, my amateur plates, and all I have to do now is program my radio. (Then again it has been hotter than all get out here, and it took me almost three years just to "program" my Yaesu 2800M that I use as my base at home).

KC0KM

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

The province of Alberta allows the use of ham call signs on their license plates, but I don't have one.

jhooten

I got to spend some quantity time with the auto theft task force guys because of having plates on two different vehicles. The officers was running plates in the parking lot and the plate on my Neon came back to my 3500 Chevrolet. He was in the process of writing the citation when the dispatcher came on and asked him if the plate was on a Neon. This started a thirty minute you can't do that session which finally required a supervisor to call DMV to get it cleared up. I don't like being left standing in the Texas summer heat and humidity in an asphalt parking lot because Barney didn't know the law.

I don't do call sign plates anymore.

W2NJS

My local government, DC, does not issue callsign plates, only vanity ones, so I could if I were really nuts get a -1 or -2 plate with my callsign, but why bother? As it is it costs $230 for a two-year registration with the vanity plate on just one car, which is pretty steep I think. Fortunately we don't also have a property tax on cars like Virginia does. I'm wondering how many other jurisdictions don't offer callsign plates.

DotNM

Feed Provider
I've got call sign plates on my car. Here in Ontario, Canada, they're available for $31.50 ($30 + $1.50 in taxes). You cannot order them online like regular personalized plates, you have to go into a ServiceOntario location with your licenses (both drivers and amateur radio) to place the order. Not too much of an inconvenience considering Ontario charges $251.65 for personalized plates without a graphic and $336.40 for personalized plates with graphics. There are no costs other than the plates themselves. Once you receive the plates in the mail, you just go back into ServiceOntario with the old & new plates, they'll transfer over the validation sticker ("ValTag") and registration paperwork for free! Total cost: $31.50 for the plates.

My plate is just my call sign without any graphics, but I have seen some that have the RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada - Canadian equivalent of ARRL) logo but don't know how much they cost.

canav844

in wi ive never seen an amateur plate without a call sign on it
I've a few WI friends with them

I've got them on my car,only $8.50 here over the base registration fees, all other special plates or vanity plates start at $15 and go up from there. Just the call, otherwise it look like a normal plate, which I like as it helps keep me a little more low profile.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I will not put a "ham tag" on my vehicle! Low profile is safer for a number of reasons! :wink:

n9zas

NYG

I will not put a "ham tag" on my vehicle! Low profile is safer for a number of reasons! :wink:

n9zas

I won't get call sign plates either. I may be a bit more paranoid than most but I'm not going to make it that easy for people to find my home.

gewecke

Banned
I won't get call sign plates either. I may be a bit more paranoid than most but I'm not going to make it that easy for people to find my home.

True. Granted, people here will say there's tons of ways to be tracked down, but then why make it easier for it to happen? There are people out there which will google your call for reasons not beneficial to you!
I keep my antennas " lo pro" for the same reasons.

n9zas

CommJunkie

In PA it costs $20 for the plate, then $36 every year for renewal, which is the same price as a regular tag.

If you have more than one vehicle and want your call on all of them, you will get -2 on the second plate, -3 on the third, and so on.

If you don't drive like an @$$, then you should have no worry about someone knowing where you live. If it bothers you that much, get a PO Box, and have your call sign point there.

gewecke

Banned
In PA it costs $20 for the plate, then $36 every year for renewal, which is the same price as a regular tag.

If you have more than one vehicle and want your call on all of them, you will get -2 on the second plate, -3 on the third, and so on.

If you don't drive like an @$$, then you should have no worry about someone knowing where you live. If it bothers you that much, get a PO Box, and have your call sign point there.

Or have your call sign go to a vacant address. :wink:

n9zas

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Had em since shortly after I got my ticket.. Plan on keeping them until I can't drive...And on whatever vehicle.. Illinois ham plates work on Pickups, vans or cars.. I've had mine on each at one time or another..

990adv

Before selling my car I applied for them. Plates arrived, they have never been on a vehicle. I have military plates on my truck and both motorcycles. Ham plates are on display only.

gewecke

Banned
Before selling my car I applied for them. Plates arrived, they have never been on a vehicle. I have military plates on my truck and both motorcycles. Ham plates are on display only.

Now that you mention it, I would be more inclined to order veteran status plates rather than ham plates.
I worked a lot harder for those! :wink:

n9zas

kb2vxa

Banned
"I was just wondering who all has their call on their license plates?"

(Jumping up and down with hand in air.) I DO I DO! OOO OOO! I DO I DO! (;->)

Last edited:

KC0UTE

I have a set for my truck..I bought a new Truck a few months ago and it had plates on it so I need to get to the DMV and see what I have to do to switch to my Amateur radio Plates again.

73's
KC0UTE

Status
Not open for further replies.