RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 7:17 AM

Default HamSphere virtual Ham Radio

Hi Everyone.

I am pleased to see so many Ham Radio operators here at RadioReference.
Currently on holiday and as I was bored beyond anything so I started browing the net and found a cool software I wanted you to know about. It's called HamSphere and it works like a real shortwave rig.

I dunno how they do it, but once you start this software its like having your own Icom-7400 on your desktop. The look and feel is incredibly close the the real thing. I hear phase shift and multipath distortion on the signals. The transmitter is modulated with double sideband which is a bit of a setback as the bandwidth then way exceeds the normal specs. I swirled the knob across some stations and I could hear splatter about +/- 3kHz even with their narrow filter deployed, hence there are some QRMs present.

Nevertheless a pretty impressive design. The software comes with three filters, 3.8, 2.8 and 0.8 kHz in CW and each band is 96 kHz wide with 11 virtual Ham Bands included. They have also included a built in log book as well as the ability to create and send digital QSL cards.

There is a trial version, but if you wanna go for the real thing the price tag is about $37 USD per year which I found affordable.

Here is the link if you wanna check it out HamSphere - Ham Radio Software

Peter
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2012, 9:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I looked nto that..problem is its more of a fantasy world than anything else..what got me to really look at it was all the non-hams that used it and I wondered how that was possible..unlike echolink wich requires you to be an AR operator..hamsphere is open to anyone ..with software it turns the "radio" on the desktop into what is supposed sound like a true radio with all the pauses and static and signal fade..not for me but kind of a cool little toy.

KCĜUTE
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It a good tool to help those who want to get their license, and help those who have "mic fright" I use and and enjoy talking to hams and Non-hams on it

Todd N9OGL
Old 01-22-2013, 8:04 PM

The title, "Virtual ham radio", comes close. Just remember what 'virtual' actually means, as in 'close' but no cigar.
- 'Doc
Old 01-22-2013, 9:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So, this doesn't actually broadcast over airwaves? I'm confused. It seems like it is just an online chat room that is made to look like its a ham radio.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Skype

Is it like Skype? Doesn't use a real radio?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll take a listen to it. . I already making contacts on the 6 meter side of this radio app!

Last edited by Git-R-Done; 01-22-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 AM

Yes, it's internet. A 'chat room' or sorts. That's all EchoLink is, or IRLP. They -may- use a radio to get to the gateway, but from there it's just internet (VOIP if you wanna get 'picky'). But if that serves your needs, have at it!
- 'Doc
Old 01-23-2013, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatStone View Post
Hi Everyone.

I am pleased to see so many Ham Radio operators here at RadioReference.
Currently on holiday and as I was bored beyond anything so I started browing the net and found a cool software I wanted you to know about. It's called HamSphere and it works like a real shortwave rig.

I dunno how they do it, but once you start this software its like having your own Icom-7400 on your desktop. The look and feel is incredibly close the the real thing. I hear phase shift and multipath distortion on the signals. The transmitter is modulated with double sideband which is a bit of a setback as the bandwidth then way exceeds the normal specs. I swirled the knob across some stations and I could hear splatter about +/- 3kHz even with their narrow filter deployed, hence there are some QRMs present.

Nevertheless a pretty impressive design. The software comes with three filters, 3.8, 2.8 and 0.8 kHz in CW and each band is 96 kHz wide with 11 virtual Ham Bands included. They have also included a built in log book as well as the ability to create and send digital QSL cards.

There is a trial version, but if you wanna go for the real thing the price tag is about $37 USD per year which I found affordable.

Here is the link if you wanna check it out HamSphere - Ham Radio Software

Peter
Awesome website!! It enables me to chat all over the world from my hotel room when I am traveling on business. No antennas, cables, or or power supplies needed!
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2013, 5:43 PM

So lemme see if I got this right.
It looks, sounds and works like a radio but it's not actually going out over the air and its not airing live audio. Instead it goes out over the internet and anyone can simulate being a ham.

Ham simulator?

Last edited by rapidcharger; 01-23-2013 at 5:48 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
So lemme see if I got this right.
It looks, sounds and works like a radio but it's not actually going out over the air and its not airing live audio. Instead it goes out over the internet and anyone can simulate being a ham.

Ham simulator?
It operates exactly like amateur radio. You have a transceiver that operates HF through 6 meters in separate bands, audio controls, filters, CW and SSB, variable power output, etc. You have hundreds of stations on that are operating all over the globe, and you can have QSOs with them any time of the night or day.
Old 01-23-2013, 7:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

i got it to and i like it its cool
Old 01-24-2013, 8:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So just to be sure, it does not really use radio signals? Is it like a big connected chat room?
Old 01-24-2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt169Radio View Post
So just to be sure, it does not really use radio signals? Is it like a big connected chat room?
That is correct. There are NO actual radio signals involved. There are no actual radios involved. There are no actual antennas involved. No signals go out on the real air, and no one, who is not on HamSphere, can detect your signals.

It is a voice over IP like chat, with a skin that looks like a radio, and modeled propagation and radio like responses.

With all of that said, it can be a good teaching tool.

I cannot even count the number of times someone has heard a "numbers station" on HamSphere and reported it to a list or forum as a real station (there is often one on a given "freq" in HamSphere 24 hours a day).

T!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM

In other words, it's a ham simulator.... A video game.
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2013, 8:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It works and sounds like radio, in fact the program even simulates propagation. there static and noise on the band and even a Shortwave band for those who want to play broadcaster. No it doesn't go over the radio, instead it's a tool to help people to get interest in ham radio. I know someone from India on there that uses it to teach children how to become ham operators. So yeah, it's a ham simulator. you can do voice, cw, SSTV, PSK31 and all sorts of other modes on it.

Todd N9OGL
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
In other words, it's a ham simulator.... A video game.
Not quite. There are thousands of other hams on the system who actually do have licenses and radios, and use hamsphere when they are traveling or can't put up an antenna. I spoke with a few yesterday who were in Indonesia, Japan, China, Russia, Brazil, and South Africa.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:07 AM

Like it or not, it's a 'simulation' of ham radio. It's not 'real time', it depends on how busy the internet is as to just how 'real time' it is. It sort of makes HF ham radio available to those who don't have those privileges or abilities for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that, just keep in mind what's actually happening.
- 'Doc
Old 01-25-2013, 6:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Its similer to cq100

Its just like or similar to cq100, just a glorified chat room. i do think Cq100 has a option where you can link it to an actual radio.
QsoNet - Virtual Ionosphere For Amateur Radio

kb0vwg
wqoi992
Michael
Old 01-25-2013, 9:37 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile This one is just for listening

WebSDR de W4AX

kb0vwg