ALL BEWARE!!! Ernie Rice, KC8YOQ BEWARE!!! DAK X PURCHASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

ALL BEWARE!!! Ernie Rice, KC8YOQ BEWARE!!! DAK X PURCHASE

I was contacted by Ernie Rice, KC8YOQ about him selling a Dak X CB Radio. I was told he only takes Cash or MO. I sent the MO for his purchase price + 50.00 shipping that he already checked on with UPS Packing. The next day he said he had a amp that worked good with this radio for $50.00 more if I wanted it send another MO for 50.00 which I did. The money order took 7 days to get there using priority mail, which seemed long. Once he got them he started to delay shipping. First day he lost track of time. Second day he had to work overtime. Third day his back hurt. I asked for him to return the money but he said he would ship the next day after the weekend Monday for sure. He than put it up for sale on face book mud ducks and sold it for more money and emailed me that I was a loser and he is sending the money back. NO MONEY YET! Two weeks later he is saying he ripped out the money orders and sent them back. Never received! I am out 400.00 dollars. He is the worst of the worst. To make an extra 50 bucks. Emails saved on complete transaction! BEWARE!!!!!!!

darticus

Your right I was blind. In the days before the purchase an extra power mic was added along with a great deal on a linear at a reasonable price. When the 30 warranty was added I guess I was sold as I was told I could have it fixed here if anything happened to it and he would pay. Very convincing, I was dumb. He did sell it to a person here or on mudducks on face book. Hope the new owner has good luck. If he sold it to make an extra buck why not just return the money and say he got a better deal. Thanks Ron

This whole deal sounded like a scam from the get-go. Cash/MO transaction for something you've not seen or inspected? Red flag every time.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Another red flag is buying stuff from radio guys. I've been burned a few times buying and selling stuff to / from hams. The last time I sold a bunch of test equipment, all of it was marked AS IS NOT TESTED. It wasn't my stuff I was selling it for a guy I did some work for and he owed me money. One of the items went to a ham in Winnipeg. He said it wasn't working and that I should have known. What part of "AS IS NOT TESTED" didn't he get??? :mad:

One time I bought a R7100 the guy claimed it was MINT shape yet it was covered in scratches. His excuse was it was on the shelf and he never looked at it. At least on that one, I got 100 bucks back.

From that point, I'm NEVER buying stuff from people I don't know, don't trust or can't see it right in front of my eyes.

For 400 bucks, I'd be going on a road trip. :twisted:

Oh, and one more tip. ALWAYS do a google search...

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?64243-KC8YOQ This is from 2005.

Guy sounds like a real winner.

Last edited:

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I've done quite a bit of Ham to Ham transactions in the past few months getting various bits of gear and sundries. Haven't had a problem thus far and the items I've gotten have been in the exact condition advertised. Of course I only use Paypal for these transactions so that if I get boned on them I can get my money back. I flatly refuse to use PO Money Order or anything *but* Paypal and it looks like that's a good idea from reading this (and the linked forum posts). But with that said, I've not had a problem so far. I even traded a scanner on Craigslist for an Icom IC-735 with 25A PSU this week and that too went without a hitch (of course that was a face to face trade locally).

Actually I had one "hiccup". I got an MFJ manual tuner used at a very reasonable price when it arrived it smelled very strongly of smoke; which wasn't mentioned. I sent an email to the seller and they refunded me $15 and apologized for not mentioning that. I took some cleaner to it and it no longer smells like smoke either. I wouldn't call that a "hiccup" so much as human error and a minor misunderstanding. Other than that the tuner arrived in the condition I expected.

Maybe I've been lucky.. Sorry to hear your bad news though, it always sucks getting taken advantage of.

darticus

You are right. I told my friend that if I wasn't old I'd be on the road trip. My brother the cop is think about taking me to Ohio to a ham fest. Could be interesting. This jerk works in home depot. Maybe I'll go shopping there. I'm old and retired but again so is Ernie. Ron

Another red flag is buying stuff from radio guys. I've been burned a few times buying and selling stuff to / from hams. The last time I sold a bunch of test equipment, all of it was marked AS IS NOT TESTED. It wasn't my stuff I was selling it for a guy I did some work for and he owed me money. One of the items went to a ham in Winnipeg. He said it wasn't working and that I should have known. What part of "AS IS NOT TESTED" didn't he get??? :mad:

One time I bought a R7100 the guy claimed it was MINT shape yet it was covered in scratches. His excuse was it was on the shelf and he never looked at it. At least on that one, I got 100 bucks back.

From that point, I'm NEVER buying stuff from people I don't know, don't trust or can't see it right in front of my eyes.

For 400 bucks, I'd be going on a road trip. :twisted:

Oh, and one more tip. ALWAYS do a google search...

KC8YOQ This is from 2005.

Guy sounds like a real winner.

darticus

PayPal is the way to go but do you miss a great deal? From now on yes! I don't know if I have one more road trip in me.THANKS Ron

I've done quite a bit of Ham to Ham transactions in the past few months getting various bits of gear and sundries. Haven't had a problem thus far and the items I've gotten have been in the exact condition advertised. Of course I only use Paypal for these transactions so that if I get boned on them I can get my money back. I flatly refuse to use PO Money Order or anything *but* Paypal and it looks like that's a good idea from reading this (and the linked forum posts). But with that said, I've not had a problem so far. I even traded a scanner on Craigslist for an Icom IC-735 with 25A PSU this week and that too went without a hitch (of course that was a face to face trade locally).

Actually I had one "hiccup". I got an MFJ manual tuner used at a very reasonable price when it arrived it smelled very strongly of smoke; which wasn't mentioned. I sent an email to the seller and they refunded me $15 and apologized for not mentioning that. I took some cleaner to it and it no longer smells like smoke either. I wouldn't call that a "hiccup" so much as human error and a minor misunderstanding. Other than that the tuner arrived in the condition I expected.

Maybe I've been lucky.. Sorry to hear your bad news though, it always sucks getting taken advantage of.

elk2370bruce

Your right I was blind. In the days before the purchase an extra power mic was added along with a great deal on a linear at a reasonable price. When the 30 warranty was added I guess I was sold as I was told I could have it fixed here if anything happened to it and he would pay. Very convincing, I was dumb. He did sell it to a person here or on mudducks on face book. Hope the new owner has good luck. If he sold it to make an extra buck why not just return the money and say he got a better deal. Thanks Ron

You're not alone! Many of us (me included)have gotten burned and learned the hard way. Sometimes its easy to trust another ham - even when you don't know them. I got royally burned by a dealer when I first got into the hobby back in my naive past.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I have missed one really great deal because I don't send PO Money Orders. There was an Icom IC-706MKIIG for sale for $600 in good to excellent condition. Unfortunately the seller didn't take PayPal and I didn't send the money even though it was a great deal. About a week later I found a 2 month old IC-7000 for about $1200 with tuner for my Ranger Rover. Arrived all safe and sound looking as good as the one I use as my 2m/440 base rig.

PayPal is the way to go but do you miss a great deal? From now on yes! I don't know if I have one more road trip in me.THANKS Ron

Confuzzled

In the days before the purchase an extra power mic was added along with a great deal on a linear at a reasonable price. When the 30 warranty was added I guess I was sold as I was told I could have it fixed here if anything happened to it and he would pay.
More Red Flags. Sweetening the pot to reel you in.

He did sell it to a person here or on mudducks on face book.
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe there was never anything to sell at all.

Sounds a lot like some of those special tractor ads on Craigslist.

darticus

Ernie told me he sold it to a local in Hamilton Ohio for more money to piss me off before he said he ripped up my MO. Wish we had a good CB PD detective in the Ohio area to make a local call. Thanks Ron

How do you know the other guy he "sold" it to didn't get ripped off as well?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You have your fault and your share of the blame too. Surely you know if it sounds too good to be true it is but you chose to ignore the $350 for a 1978 vintage radio warning. (That's $300 too much!) Then when you snapped at the $50 for an amp he knew he had you hooked. Scam artists prey on naivete and greed, shame on you.

Consider the $400 to be your tuition paid to the School of Hard Knocks, I hope you learned your lesson well so it wasn't money wasted.

rocklandman

Darticus, I found this thread that was forwarded by a member of another Forum that I belong to, ARF, this guy has been doing the same thing on there as well, scammed 1 member out of $400.00. I don't know how to Private message you on here, but I have been in contact w/ Fellow L.E. in this guys city. If you contact me I can give you the info and how to report this guy and hopefully put an end to his "Scamming Ways"!! He has been doing this since 2005!!!
Rock

ridgescan

Darticus, I found this thread that was forwarded by a member of another Forum that I belong to, ARF, this guy has been doing the same thing on there as well, scammed 1 member out of $400.00. I don't know how to Private message you on here, but I have been in contact w/ Fellow L.E. in this guys city. If you contact me I can give you the info and how to report this guy and hopefully put an end to his "Scamming Ways"!! He has been doing this since 2005!!!
Rock
I already left that in darticus' private mail this am but he hasn't acknowledged receiving it yet even tho he's been in/out of RR since-I guess he doesn't pay attention to PM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.