Politics on repeaters. Your take?

What best describes your thought about political discussion on repeaters...

• I'm fine with political discussion on repeaters but probably wouldn't participate.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I'm fine with political discussion on repeaters and would probably join in the discussion.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Politics has no place on repeaters

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Politics has no place on repeaters or ham radio in general

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Whatever you select, do NOT select this option. (Your computer will explode)

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I could careless about politics but if people wanna talk about it then they can do so but I won't say anything each to their own opinion.

mitbr

OK so now you owe me a new computer. I thought you were bluffing . I selected Whatever you select, do NOT select this option. (Your computer will explode)
I had to use my tablet to type this......
Lol
Tim

N4KVE

A week ago after the 1st debate, a longtime friend & I started to have this discussion. It soon became obvious he was for the current leader, & I was not. Just this year he took a cut in pay, & has to pay more for medical ins, & I asked him why he would put the same guy back for another 4 years. We both quickly decided this would get ugly, & to not piss off the repeater owners, & to keep our friendship, we would keep our political views to ourselves, & just drop the subject. I spoke to him on the same repeater a few days ago, & no mention of the political race was mentioned.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I'm fine with it and have joined in on many discussions. Here is the Chicago area, some of the conversations can get testy, but the debate is always spirited, no matter what side of the political aisle they're / I'm on.

:)

AC2OY

This is just for me or my opinion guys...I have noticed that this upcoming election some conversations get quite heated. I try and stay out of them,as for on the air I might in friendly discussions but if it starts to take a turn for the worst I would drop the subject and discuss the weather! It's that I am having so much fun connecting with people I don't want to anger the Gods...LOL

n5ims

This type of discussion is OK on some and not OK on others, depending on the user community associated with that repeater. Like many other topics of discussion that may be a bit sensitive, listen first and perhaps join in if you feel your comments will be appreciated (not necessarily agreed with, but appreciated none the less).

If the repeater's general topic of conversation is the DX stations currently on 20 meters, you'll probably not get a good response to comments about how good (or bad) the current administration or their opponents are doing. They also may not like hearing about the traffic jam on I-95 as well unless you need to request some emergency assistance.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's not politics on repeaters but the politics OF repeaters that causes problems. Out of all the clubs of which I was a member the only one where everybody got along doesn't have a repeater.

N4KVE

It's not politics on repeaters but the politics OF repeaters that causes problems. Out of all the clubs of which I was a member the only one where everybody got along doesn't have a repeater.
Out of all the repeaters I have been on, the only one where everybody got along, was the one that didn't have a club.

elk2370bruce

More wars (whether on the air, by religious sectarianism, or by governments) have been perpetrated due to BS politics - and then there is no one that remains standing. Want a good example? Just take a look at Congress! I've seen amateur repeater clubs self destruct due to these useless and non-productive squabbles.

reedeb

I've listened to and participated in some political chats on repeaters I try to be polite and will allow others to voice their views [if something rankles me I say it off air] If someone starts getting downright ugly I will say Well i gotta go chat with ya later and exit it. No sense having someone complain and get a repeater shut down for it.

N4KVE

But it can get frustrating when talking to a friend who is whining about his recent cut in pay, & increased medical premiums, but yet wants to give our current leader another 4 years. LOL.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
There were a few of us on a Hudson Valley repeater that shall remain nameless. We had some great close to the line conversations. The repeater was full of life when we were on, this being at 0530 Eastern time! Then some of the "elders" complained, one of them even shutting the repeater off on us. So we moved to another machine. They were quite content with the activity we were generating on their machine. The other machine? Dead as a doornail in the AM with one or two sporadic conversations. Ah, those were the days!

W2NJS

My political opinions are no one else's business except mine, and I intend to keep it that way. I see nothing to be gained or learned by discussing politics on the air with people I don't really know. Going back in amateur radio time a bit, it was pretty well understood that on the air one did not discuss politics or religion, and to me that thought is as valid now as it was then.

kb2vxa

Banned
"Out of all the repeaters I have been on, the only one where everybody got along, was the one that didn't have a club."

That's an interesting twist. Thanks for reminding me of several NY/NNJ repeaters I was on just like that.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The only form of politics that really works on a repeater is a benevolent dictatorship.

KD8DVR

I definitely believe ham radio and politics do not mix! Especially those jokers that get all liquored up and go off on some wild tangent!

gewecke

Banned
I can't stand politics on TV, much less amateur radio! :evil:

(Latin definition of politics)

Poli = meaning many

Tics = Blood sucking leeches !!! :mad:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.