RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 9:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Ham radio proves itself again - Examiner.com

Ham radio's response to Hurricane Sandy is reviewed and praised - Hartford Hobby Radio | Examiner.com
Sponsored links

Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Seems they have their act together in CT but no such luck in hard hit NJ where communication with the public was in shambles. Evacuation and Red Cross shelter worked like a well oiled machine but that's where it fell apart. News media concentrated on ratings as always and provided no useful information, then politicians made the rounds and appeared on TV spouting the usual BS, empty promises and such, just PR. There was NO plan to return us to our homes, I had to be a royal pest as liaison for my group wading through layered bureaucracy and miles of red tape. Days later Social Services managed to communicate across county lines and we went home in a van. Bottom line, you should know by now not to listen to mercury mouth politicians, they're so full of poop their breath stinks!

In case you're wondering why hams did such a good job in CT, the ARRL is in Newington. (;->)
Old 11-12-2012, 7:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Actually, a strong ARES on the state level depends on having a strong field organization.
In Connecticut, we are fortunate to have Betsy, K1EIC as SM and Wayne, N1CLV as SEC plus a really dedicated group of local ARES operators.
Headquarters works on national policy and oversees ARES for the entire country.
Sorry about the NJ situation...hope everything gets restored very soon.

W1AMJ
Old 11-12-2012, 8:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Good article.
Old 11-12-2012, 9:24 AM

WARNING: There is an obnoxiously loud video ad on that site that automatically plays.
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 AM

I agree in part to everything that has been posted. With that being said...The greatest problem that I see in an emergency is that the local authorities don't realize how useful amateur radio can be until we are needed. Our state organization is great and the state EM understands and endorses our capabilities, however, many local agencies don't. In my situation our local EM director thinks that they don't need ARES because of the VIPER system that they have access too. "We have access to more frequencies than we could ever use." Education prior to an emergency is essential, but is difficult when those needing the education don't have the desire to learn.

p.s. even though ARES is 'not needed' we do appear on every state and federal report/grant that the EM office fills out.
Old 11-12-2012, 1:38 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"The greatest problem that I see in an emergency is that the local authorities don't realize how useful amateur radio can be until we are needed."

The greatest problem that I see in an emergency is that the local authorities don't know Amateur Radio exists. There, fixed it for ya.