VoIP and HAM what? (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheels47130

Premium Subscriber
Ok I'm thinking of starting into HAM. I've read post about going through the net to connect to people. What does this have to do with HAM? I can do that now without anything. Just a newbie trying to learn ?

n5ims

One thing where the two are related is linking two (or more) distant stations so folks in one area can talk to others in the other area where their radios would normally not be able to reach.

EchoLink (Introducing EchoLink) and IRLP (IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project) are two major players in this field. Since Ham Radio is used on one or both ends, a valid license is necessary to use them. It may also be a way for a new ham to start being active without them yet having equipment.

W2IBC

echolink (in which we have on my repeater) IRLP,eqso are some of the voip programs..

some people have even got teamspeak to work with ham radio.

LtDoc

EchoLink and IRLP are only two means of extending the capabilities of radio communications. They typically open up possibilities for using a particular type of radio that isn't all that "range" friendly (VHF and UHF) and for making up for a lack of 'antenna'. One, EchoLink, doesn't require a radio at all, only a computer and internet connection (it does require that you have a license). IRLP does require that at least two people have radios (or cell phones) to establish that internet connection.
Neither should be used to 'define' ham radio, they are just another means of making 'connections'. If you are more with computers and their capabilities then either can be a 'bridge' or reason to get into this hobby. Wanna broaden your horizons, open up lots of possibilities, then give it a shot...
- 'Doc

rapidcharger

I can do that now without anything.

Ah... but can you do it to talk with lots of people who eagerly want to talk with you too?

radioReferenceRL.gif

Wheels47130

Premium Subscriber
Understanding more now, thanks

Thanks for the replies. It does make more sense of the differences.
I think I am going to try to save and go the traditional way, not using the net. I like the idea of being able to communicate even if the net is down.

Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Ok I'm thinking of starting into HAM. I've read post about going through the net to connect to people. What does this have to do with HAM? I can do that now without anything. Just a newbie trying to learn ?

One place to start is with the name of the hobby. It's not actually just "HAM". It's ham radio. Not capitalized, and not just "HAM". It's not an acronym, and it doesn't "stand" for anything.

Ok, now that I got that pedantic bit of nitpicking out of my skin, a comment about IRLP and echolink.

Used as a way of linking distant repeaters that are too far apart for RF linking, it's a useful tool, and can add to the fun of the hobby. Used instead of one's one personal station, a lot of people (myself included) feel that it's getting too far removed from the spirit of the hobby. When internet linking is incorporated into any sort of emergency service plans, then that removal from the spirit of the hobby is complete.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"It's not an acronym, and it doesn't "stand" for anything."
Well >I< haven't gotten the nit picking out of my system. (;->) Half right, not an acronym but it does stand for something. Referring to theatrical ham actors; way back when dirt was invented commercial ops called us hams. Wearing an insult as a badge of pride, now there's another kind of ham, us.

Back to the OP with a simple explanation, VoIP is an acronym standing for Voice over Internet Protocol allowing computer to computer voice communications and has evolved allowing "internet telephones". Since it has nothing to do with radio hams don't use it directly over the air but rather set up internet data links between voice repeaters and to access repeaters from home computers.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
Let me give you a more personal overview of Echolink (and by extension IRLP) or VoIP.

Keeping in mind that VHF/UHF doesn't really go very far (300 miles maybe at best?) you can use Echolink (from here on out I'm going to use "echolink" but this applies to any internet linking standard as it applies to ham radio) to contact other hams in far more areas than you could with just your rig on the same frequencies. For example a local repeater is going to allow you to talk to local people, and certainly there's nothing wrong with that you'll meet fine folks in your own area. However if that node happens to be echolink enabled it allows your local repeater to participate globally. Every day on just one conference server (echolink term) you'll find all sorts of formal and semi-formal nets going on that are national or even international. Echolink allows, you to use your rig to converse with others irrespective of geographical location.

Further, echolink allows you to experience ham radio even without the radio. It may seem at first glance to be less than ham, but I get the same feeling using my Android smartphone to participate in a number of nets over echolink. That without the multi platform nature of echolink (radios, phones, computers) I would otherwise miss. Echolink really just extends the global reach of ham radio and opens up a lot of opportunities you might otherwise miss out on (even with the global nature of HF). Also any echolink enabled repeaters are open to you (generally speaking). For me this is fantastic! If I'm in Florida I can stay in touch with my ham buddies in Massachusetts and visa versa.

I don't think it defeats the nature of ham radio anymore than using PSK31 does. They are both digital modes, and both things have extended the viability of ham radio and opened up new opportunities for making contacts and really.. That's what ham radio is all about, reaching out and making contacts.

LtDoc

rapidcharger,
I'm not limited to voice communications, sorry. There are quite a few forums that use voice via VOIP so while you are correct, no voice on this forum, this isn't the only kind of forum available. To some people anyway.
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
His avatar is a dead giveaway as to what the sign on his cage reads so why feed him? Oh I know, next he'll complain about his handler. By now the OP has headed for the hills and I'm not wondering why.

Last edited:

AC2OY

Wheels I just got into Ham Radio less than six months ago....I joined a local radio club and the ARRL.....and went to a local ham radio shop.....what I learned was to research everything!! The fact that your here is a great start!! I got my technician ticket and a HT radio and currently having a blast!! Sunday before football we had a rag chew (conversation) going on with at four operators!! This hobby is sooooo coooool!! I'm going to continue my education process so I can get more frequency and band privileges!! But for now I'm having more fun then should be legal...LOL. It doesn't have to be expensive either. You can operate within your budget as well. This weekend I talked to a ham operator who lives in New York City in a condo or a apartment building, he has a antenna he can work four or five bands of the high frequency(HF) Bands with a Super Antenna that costs $100.00!!! How cool is that?! Good luck and have fun!! If we can help fire away with questions!!!

N1XDS

ÆS Ø

IRLP, ECHOLINK, WINLINK, DSTAR/GATEWAY & Mototrbo all has to do with internet linking or voice over internet provider. You can link up to anyone around the states if repeater owner or owners have the internet service turned on or activated.

AA1QT

In your search bar Type in "DODROPIN" when the site comes up read. Or just search my call wich will bring up over six hundred and fifty thousand hits in the past year. When you become drawn into amateur radio you probably start with listening. Then when you get an xcvr and your antenna things start branching off. Better antennas,better transmitters and recievers. Ham fests,rag chews,then the gotta haves. That means your hooked. You have become a devoted amateur radio operator. Then it becomes normal to try every mode,every new discovery that the years of being an amateur radio brings into your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.