RF Squelch vs Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
I just received my Yaesu VX-6R yesterday, but was trying to find out what is the difference between the RF Squelch and then just squelch? They have two settings for squelch and I'm not sure what the difference really is.

Thx

John

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
RF Squelch allows you to set the radio to not pass audio unless the received signal is above a certain "S meter" value. It is useful if you are monitoring and want to block out signals that are too weak to come in clearly. I guess you could use it to block out a far off station on the same frequency.
I tried it once, but found I was missing things I wanted to hear. Just moving around with the radio, or having the other person moving around caused enough signal level variation to cause some traffic to not come through. I shut mine off and never used it again.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm... okay. I get a lot of bogus signals while driving and constantly have to nudge it to continue scanning. Part of the issue is I don't have an antennae on my vehicle, but I'm sure this would continue even with a stronger antennae as it would just find weaker signals. Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hmmm... okay. I get a lot of bogus signals while driving and constantly have to nudge it to continue scanning. Part of the issue is I don't have an antennae on my vehicle, but I'm sure this would continue even with a stronger antennae as it would just find weaker signals. Thanks for the explanation.

Unless you are receiving noise from inside your vehicle. It would not be out of the ordinary for noisy electronics in a vehicle to be picked up by your scanner. An easy way to test this would be to find a place where your squelch opened, and park there. Try shutting the engine off, all the way, pull the key out, open the door and close it again to shut off all accessories and see if the noise remains. You could also try getting out of the vehicle and see if the noise gets stronger. If the noise/interference is coming from your vehicle, then an outside antenna would likely help. If not, one could still help as it would reduce the sudden changes in signal level.

Or, like you suggesting, just setting the RF squelch to hide this stuff would work, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.