RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 8:04 PM

Post Repeater Trolls

Repeaters are DEAD and you go on them and try and call someone and you don't even finish and someone
out of nowhere says something stupid or that you didn't ID,but they wont ID,I call these people repeater trolls.
Heres my response to them :I'll tell you what Go take your radio and run over it with your car.You obviously hate yourself or have nothing better to do,I didn't hear you talking to anyone!Unreal,no wonder nobody likes to USE their radio anymore!Sandbagging does not count for ham radio USE.
The other repeater troll doesn't like what you are saying or you in particular and instead of taking it up like a
real man,decides to kerchunk or make noises or comments,I say take your radio,sell it and buy a Pacifier.
You know who you are out there,we are all the same PEOPLE ,no wonder we can't establish world peace,its due to nonsense.
Signed a ham that actually uses the radio.
Hopefully the people that do this change for the new year!
2013 lets all be better to each other,I am not holding my breathe though.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2012, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Most of what you describe happens on the 2 meter band, since those are the cheaper radios to get. My suggestion would be to try hanging out on 220 or the 440 mhz. bands for awhile, because you usually will have more seasoned hams there.

n9zas
Old 12-30-2012, 9:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wink 2 way street/mirro

Ham radio is a 2 way street. It generally takes 2 to tangle. Or just look into a mirror!
Old 12-30-2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2radio View Post
Repeaters are DEAD and you go on them and try and call someone and you don't even finish and someone
out of nowhere says something stupid or that you didn't ID,but they wont ID,I call these people repeater trolls.
Heres my response to them :I'll tell you what Go take your radio and run over it with your car.You obviously hate yourself or have nothing better to do,I didn't hear you talking to anyone!Unreal,no wonder nobody likes to USE their radio anymore!Sandbagging does not count for ham radio USE.
The other repeater troll doesn't like what you are saying or you in particular and instead of taking it up like a
real man,decides to kerchunk or make noises or comments,I say take your radio,sell it and buy a Pacifier.
You know who you are out there,we are all the same PEOPLE ,no wonder we can't establish world peace,its due to nonsense.
On what repeaters are you experiencing this? I know the ones in Los Angeles on 435 and 450 constantly have that issue.
Old 12-30-2012, 9:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

If you're a lover of peace and quiet like me, than hang out on a simplex 220 & 440 mhz. simplex freq.

n9zas
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Even better are the ones who break into your QSO and add absolutely nothing of value to the conversation and interrupt the exchange. As if we give a crap that they are there, I mean, DUH- it's kind of understood that when you're on the air people are listening.

A good ham will not interrupt an active exchange unless he/she has something to add to the conversation relevant to the topic being discussed.
Old 12-31-2012, 2:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
A good ham will not interrupt an active exchange unless he/she has something to add to the conversation relevant to the topic being discussed.

That's just having decent manners period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2012, 5:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just started using 2 Meter (and a little 1.25 + 70CM) in Virginia and haven't experienced this yet. I hope I don't. It is really sad that people can be this way. We see this a lot on the internet. When I bought my radio and studied for my license I was hoping this would not be the case.

--
Eric
KK4MWM
Old 12-31-2012, 6:02 AM

Default yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
Ham radio is a 2 way street. It generally takes 2 to tangle. Or just look into a mirror!
Sorry Robert,all my mirrors are broken.
Tango not tangle.
Anyway,I am good natured to all hams,even the non licensed wannabees.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2012, 8:47 AM

The eight club repeaters in our area do not experience this problem on any band - including 2M. There is considerable activity on these repeaters. Perhaps this problem is localized to the OP's region. Here is just one exception that indicates that a sweeping indictment may not fit the profile as described. While any repeater has the occasional curmudgeon from time to time, this can be and is controlled by the other users.
Other data that nobody cares about.

Last edited by elk2370bruce; 12-31-2012 at 8:49 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

One of the local repeaters on the linked system experiencing a known or people who came from a different repeater system that was turned off cause of known issues from people. Now you hear few times a day music, cussing, name calling and etc and yes, the repeater owner and etc know about it but they can not find the guy or who ever is causing the problems.

Since 2006 of becoming a Amateur Radio operator I've been in some places people got along with no problems or hassles. This other place in Nashville, Tennessee a 220mhz group that is well known in the Nashville area and the owner is a well known person to the FCC since he got a hefty letter warning him about his way of doing things since owning a 220 linked repeater system around Tennessee and I think in Georgia to. The guy would let his friends cause problems to anyone on that frequency or have it link to the HF system he has and let it stay linked for long periods of times or his friends would come to a different repeater owner and cause problems there.

I truly think it's the area and the type of people who talk everyday on the repeaters.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thankfully this hasn't been an issue in our local area near Erie, PA. All those on the air are polite and courteous to others, and if someone like this were to get on the air our regulars would not stand for it. I am pleased to be part of such a responsible and polite group of hams.
www.scanningeriepa.wordpress.com
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Stay off the offending repeater. Simple as that. Lock it out of your scan, or delete it from the radio. I stick to my clubs repeater, and won't be caught dead on any repeater in the neighboring county to the west.

It's all a choice, feed the trolls, or not. Internet, radio, life...no different.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've done 2 meter in Michigan all over and now I am in Texas. Haven't seen it here either yet but that doesn't mean it's not there. The key to a good transmission is making friends and getting involved in things locally. It makes the AR experience that much better.
Old 12-31-2012, 6:18 PM

Default yep

Shouldn't matter though,people should ID and act normally on any repeater or frequency.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2012, 6:24 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is a VERY simple solution to your problem, write a Post It note and stick it to your radio where you can see it plainly.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS
Old 12-31-2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't matter though,people should ID and act normally on any repeater or frequency.
People should be many things. But many of them aren't.
Old 12-31-2012, 7:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS
We have that problem here in the Kansas City area. We have a "troll" who often comes on to the local repeaters. He often is cussing, causing other "problems", but for the most part he lets off in a long stream of curse words just for the "shock" value. He of course never ID's. He has been around for awhile, so during a club meeting, we where told simply not to engage. A few months ago he showed up on a local 440 repeater, and was causing problems there. Then a local message went out to all local hams "Do not engage" but to try and find him on reverse. We have still yet to find him, he now hits and runs, not giving anyone the chance to find him on the input. The best advise is the above "Do Not Feed The Trolls". Just ignore them, and do not engage.
Old 12-31-2012, 9:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is not a new problem. It has been around on various watering holes on the air for decades. The solution is to find somewhere else to hang out. There is nothing you can do about these trolls. I've seen people attempt to mess with them, but the trolls live for this crap. Occasionally, they get so egregious that the FCC finally takes an interest. However, that's indeed rare and it takes so much hate and discontent to make that happen that most of the time it isn't worth the effort to bring it about.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
If you ignore this stink eye he will get bored and leave you alone.

K3CFC
This message is hidden because n9mxq is on your ignore list.