What connectors to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j73vette

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I am planning to buy a Yaesu FT7900R and Arrow OSJ 146/440 J-POLE antenna and need to know what type connectors to order when I order the coax cable? Thanks for any help, John

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
My 7900 uses a PL-259 style connector. I'm not sure about the Arrow antenna, but it would probably need the same.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You can download the FT-7900 user's manual from the Yaesu web site. The manual indicates (page 15) that the antenna connector is a type M on the USA version of the radio. Type M is what the Japanese electronics industry calls the connector that we refer to as a UHF connector. The male plug for the UHF connector series is the PL-259 and the female jack is typically an SO-239.

The Arrow Antenna web site indicates that the OSJ 146/440 has an SO-239 connector.

So, your cable should have PL-259 connectors on both ends.

j73vette

Premium Subscriber
Thanks a lot, thats what I needed to know, I am new to ham radio and still learning, I assume both are male connecters? Thanks both of you, John

KC9AXZ

Both the antenna and radio have SO-239 UHF Female connector. The coax connector type you need is the standard PL-259 UHF connectors.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.