RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 2:32 PM

Default Hello and help please

I posted this message in the scanning part of this forum but think it was the wrong pace so am putting it here in the hope that I may get what I need.

I have always been interested in shortwave/ham radio but have never really got round to doing anything about it, so I think the time has come to bite the bullet. So I am asking what is the easiest way to do this, I mean what sort of radio should I buy, aerial etc. I suppose this is like asking how long is a piece of string from what I have read so far. I have bought one of the dummies guide books of ham radio, my wife got this for me for Christmas. Unfortunately due to work commitments I have yet to start reading it :-( so any advice would be very welcome, I am in the process of searching for a local group that may also be able to help. home space is limited so would a mobile unit be better?

Thanks in anticipation.
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
I posted this message in the scanning part of this forum but think it was the wrong pace so am putting it here in the hope that I may get what I need.

I have always been interested in shortwave/ham radio but have never really got round to doing anything about it, so I think the time has come to bite the bullet. So I am asking what is the easiest way to do this, I mean what sort of radio should I buy, aerial etc. I suppose this is like asking how long is a piece of string from what I have read so far. I have bought one of the dummies guide books of ham radio, my wife got this for me for Christmas. Unfortunately due to work commitments I have yet to start reading it :-( so any advice would be very welcome, I am in the process of searching for a local group that may also be able to help. home space is limited so would a mobile unit be better?

Thanks in anticipation.
Are you interested in ham radio? If so, you will need to get a license. A local radio group can help you. You can start with inexpensive equipment, and from there they sky is the limit!
Old 02-04-2013, 6:44 PM

Considering how much I don't know about licensing requirements and privileges in the UK, I think your best bet is to find a local group/club and go from there. I'm sure you will find lots of equipment suggestions, what to look for and look out for. I also think that the used market in the UK (and surrounding countries) is at least as 'good' as it is here in the USA. It's a fun hobby, check into it and see for your self.
- 'Doc