Hello and help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvershadow

I posted this message in the scanning part of this forum but think it was the wrong pace so am putting it here in the hope that I may get what I need.

I have always been interested in shortwave/ham radio but have never really got round to doing anything about it, so I think the time has come to bite the bullet. So I am asking what is the easiest way to do this, I mean what sort of radio should I buy, aerial etc. I suppose this is like asking how long is a piece of string from what I have read so far. I have bought one of the dummies guide books of ham radio, my wife got this for me for Christmas. Unfortunately due to work commitments I have yet to start reading it :-( so any advice would be very welcome, I am in the process of searching for a local group that may also be able to help. home space is limited so would a mobile unit be better?

Thanks in anticipation.

TheSpaceMan

I posted this message in the scanning part of this forum but think it was the wrong pace so am putting it here in the hope that I may get what I need.

I have always been interested in shortwave/ham radio but have never really got round to doing anything about it, so I think the time has come to bite the bullet. So I am asking what is the easiest way to do this, I mean what sort of radio should I buy, aerial etc. I suppose this is like asking how long is a piece of string from what I have read so far. I have bought one of the dummies guide books of ham radio, my wife got this for me for Christmas. Unfortunately due to work commitments I have yet to start reading it :-( so any advice would be very welcome, I am in the process of searching for a local group that may also be able to help. home space is limited so would a mobile unit be better?

Thanks in anticipation.
Are you interested in ham radio? If so, you will need to get a license. A local radio group can help you. You can start with inexpensive equipment, and from there they sky is the limit!

LtDoc

Considering how much I don't know about licensing requirements and privileges in the UK, I think your best bet is to find a local group/club and go from there. I'm sure you will find lots of equipment suggestions, what to look for and look out for. I also think that the used market in the UK (and surrounding countries) is at least as 'good' as it is here in the USA. It's a fun hobby, check into it and see for your self.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.