Distress call

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX2CIB

I have a question regarding a General Class question.

G2B11
What frequency should be used to send a distress call?

Answer:
Whatever frequency has the best chance of communicating the distress message.

My question:
I am an EMT/ham operator with access to both at all times. How would I identify
myself? Using my ham call sign - KD2BMU or my call sign from my ambulance
service - Guilfoyle 473?

Dave
KD2BMU

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Depends on what frequency. If on the 'company' frequency then using your company call sign. If on Amatuer radio then your amateur call sign.

N2AL

Coming from a public servant, this is what I would do.

If I on an amateur frequency, I would use my Callsign.

If I were on a public safety frequency, I would use my badge number or car/truck number. Example : if your car/truck number was 101. "101A to dispatch."

I hope this helps.

Andrew L.
KK4IFN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

n5ims

You should use whatever will cause the least amount of confusion to the other party. As was indicated above, if you're on a ham frequency, they expect a ham call sign so that should be used. On an EMS company frequency, they expect your EMS call sign so that should be used.

On 911, the ham call sign would confuse matters and slow down any response, as would your EMS call sign. That said, telling 911 that you're an EMT could be helpful (they generally understand that) and instead of going through the full script they may accept your evaluation of the situation if explained in terms that they normally would use with their EMS units.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And if out of cell range

Not every place is covered by cells. Lots of times you may need your work radio or ham radio.

SCPD

QRT
Needing Aid

If you have an emergency, you may use any frequency you desire to get help.
If it was my, it would be the most popular repeater I could get into.

If you need help, and you are transmit enabled on it, anyone is permitted to put a call out on any public service channel that would get you help, even if you are not a first responder ... in an emergency.

n5ims

If you have an emergency, you may use any frequency you desire to get help.
If it was my, it would be the most popular repeater I could get into.

If you need help, and you are transmit enabled on it, anyone is permitted to put a call out on any public service channel that would get you help, even if you are not a first responder ... in an emergency.

One thing to add to this, if you transmit where you're not licensed you should be prepared for whatever consequence may come from taking that action. If it's truely a life or death situation then any fine or jail time is probably worth it. If you're simply uncomfortable due to a fall and want help now instead of perhaps an hour or so when somebody most likely will pass by it probably isn't worth it.

JoeyC

And keep in mind that 99% of what people would consider as an emergency do not qualify you to transmit on those freqs anyway.

KC0KM

And keep in mind that 99% of what people would consider as an emergency do not qualify you to transmit on those freqs anyway.

From what I remember from my Tech class, we where told that in case of emergency, we are allows to use any frequency need to make contact, provided there are no other means of communication. In other words if there is a cell phone, or amateur frequencies available then we have to use that first. What constitutes an emergency? Only in a matter of life and death. If a person is dying, and nothing else is available, you are allowed to use any means of contact.

LtDoc

If there is an actual emergency, and if you make a call for help on some normally unauthorized frequency, then there are 'follow up' requirements you will have to do. Those requirements include reporting the fact to the proper authority (FCC) with all the reasons/facts of the incident. If it's a legitimate emergency I seriously doubt if there will be any penalty involved. I'm sure you'd probably get the typical , "Don't do that no more, unless you have to." sort of lecture, but that's honestly about it. Best make sure it's a legitimate emergency though.
- 'Doc

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The test questions for a ham licence are oriented around Part 97 rules, so when you are asked about emergency frequencies the only correct answers are the ones that only include ham frequencies. The correct answer should probably read "Whatever amateur frequency has the best chance..."

I don't expect that the question writers are aware of the strange way RR members interpret the rules.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

zz0468 said:
I don't expect that the question writers are aware of the strange way RR members interpret the rules.

Well put zz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.