Can license be "shared"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Maybe i didnt word the thread title properly, but i was wondering, when i get my ham license in march, will that be enough for me and my girlfriend to use HAM frequencies (70 cm) to communicate back and forth, or will she also need to get a license? Under any circumstance, (besides the obvious "life threatening") would that be legal?

Ive tried searching and searching the internet, and ive found both yes, and no answers. Most of those answers are from several years ago too. And none of them really went into the specifics. So i was wondering, for all the Part 97 experts, is this ok?

sloop

Simply put..NO. The only time that a non licensed person can operate amateur frequencies is with you or another licensed operator present (at that radio). As far as in emergencies...very gray area....as it stands now that concept would apply only if there is NO other form of communications available (i.e. cell phone). If there are other forms of communications available they (FCC) would prefer that you use them. It would be like me getting into a police car to call for help when I had a cell phone in my hand. They (the police) might be very happy, but then they might be very upset. I personally would not want to chance it. Good question to ask your instructor if you are taking a ham prep. class. Good luck on your license endeavor. Side note...GMRS would be a good way to talk to your girlfriend (if she is not too far away).

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
As others above have said, no. However a GMRS license would allow both of you to transmit as long as she lives in the same household. :wink:
Many hams prefer to hold both licenses for this reason.

n9zas

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
you cannot hand your radio to another person and walk away, nor can you authorize third party traffic unless you are in direct control of the station at all times.

From the FCC:
"Q: Is it correct that a third party cannot operate my amateur station?
Yes, only the control operator can "operate" the station. Section 97.3 defines the term "control operator" as an amateur operator designated by the licensee of the station as responsible for the transmissions from that station to ensure compliance with the Rules."

See here:

FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: About Amateur: Communications & Operations Party Communications

n5ims

Maybe i didnt word the thread title properly, but i was wondering, when i get my ham license in march, will that be enough for me and my girlfriend to use HAM frequencies (70 cm) to communicate back and forth, or will she also need to get a license? Under any circumstance, (besides the obvious "life threatening") would that be legal?

Ive tried searching and searching the internet, and ive found both yes, and no answers. Most of those answers are from several years ago too. And none of them really went into the specifics. So i was wondering, for all the Part 97 experts, is this ok?

As others have said, she'll need her own license to be able to talk on her own with you. She could operate under your license if you're physically there with her "controlling" the radio and making sure she's operating legally (it'll be your license on the line if she fails to ID, changes to a frequency you're not licensed to operate on - say moved to a section of a band reserved for higher class licensed hams, etc.). What's not allowed is for her to operate under your license when you're not physically there to control your station.

bill4long

Nope

The answer is: absolutely not. The good news is, any idiot can get a Tech class ham license. Just have your GF get a Tech license.

SquierStrat

The answer is: absolutely not. The good news is, any idiot can get a Tech class ham license. Just have your GF get a Tech license.

yeah, thats kinda what i figured. Thank you for all of the input guys. And i LOLed at that comment. A week or 2 ago, i practiced online for the tech license and pretty much had it mastered in 3 days. It wasnt very challenging at all. Since the next test in my area isnt until the end of march, im studying for the general, which actually seems somewhat challenging..

N5TWB

yeah, thats kinda what i figured. Thank you for all of the input guys. And i LOLed at that comment. A week or 2 ago, i practiced online for the tech license and pretty much had it mastered in 3 days. It wasnt very challenging at all. Since the next test in my area isnt until the end of march, im studying for the general, which actually seems somewhat challenging..

You can sit for both tests in the same session. First, pass the Tech then the VE can offer you the opportunity to test for General. I know of people who have entered the session unlicensed and left as Extra Class licensees.

The answers you received above are based on the Part 97 Rules you are to be licensed under and responsible for when operating. I'd recommend increased familiarity with those Rules beyond the test requirements.

Good luck to you and try to encourage the GF in getting a license...makes it easier to get new gear when/if she becomes your wife.

SquierStrat

(long sigh)

HEY GREAT INPUT!!

Sorry i dont know a single person who holds a ham license. Sorry ive never even met a licensed ham in my life. I have a strong interest in this hobby, and no one to teach me, but myself. And like several other instances, i like to ask people with experience. I dont learn the best by reading and taking tests, i learn the best with the "hands on" experience, which this hobby doesnt really allow. It makes it a bit challenging with absolutely ZERO knowledge or experience in this field. So i have to start somewhere. Im studying online right now. I plan on taking the test on march 26th. In regards to my original question, yeah, ill admit, i could have spent some time and looked it up, but i figured it would be easier just to ask here. Sorry. Lesson learned. it wont happen again! (especially after that other thread i think i played a role in triggering)

Last edited:

WB4CS

In regards to my original question, yeah, ill admit, i could have spent some time and looked it up, but i figured it would be easier just to ask here. Sorry. Lesson learned. it wont happen again! (especially after that other thread i think i played a role in triggering)

Hi SquierStrat, I am guessing you are referring to my post Has Ham Radio become too easy? Just to clear the air, no your post did not have any role in triggering my post. In the beginning of my post I stated that it was only referring to already licensed amateur radio operators, those people who should already know this stuff. Your OP stated that you have not received your license yet, so your question is a valid question. Also in my post I said that I appreciate when new people getting into the hobby ask questions and learn. So I encourage you to continue to study, ask questions, and learn. And wish you (and possibly your GF?) good luck when you go take that license exam!

Last edited:
GMRS is a licensed Radio Service

Simply put..NO. The only time that a non licensed person can operate amateur frequencies is with you or another licensed operator present (at that radio). As far as in emergencies...very gray area....as it stands now that concept would apply only if there is NO other form of communications available (i.e. cell phone). If there are other forms of communications available they (FCC) would prefer that you use them. It would be like me getting into a police car to call for help when I had a cell phone in my hand. They (the police) might be very happy, but then they might be very upset. I personally would not want to chance it. Good question to ask your instructor if you are taking a ham prep. class. Good luck on your license endeavor. Side note...GMRS would be a good way to talk to your girlfriend (if she is not too far away).

Per Part 95 regulations GMRS is a licensed radio service. The license covers the Spouse and related family member in the same household. The Girlfriend (and the OP) would have to obtain separate GMRS licenses or get married. FRS on the other hand is unlicensed as long as you are not a representative of a foreign government. As are the CB band and MURS.

Bazel

As I understand it a non ham can operate a station as long as a ham licensed person controls the station. It doesn't say you have to be there, meaning if you can control the station remotely it's okay. Isn't that how repeaters work?

Now, I'm not sure what remote operation would entail but I would guess turning the radio on and off and doing station identification from the remote controlled radio.

beischel

I girlfriend cannot use the same GMRS license either. You have to be a related family member. There is no provision for a girlfriend or boyfriend. They do not even need to live in the same household or even the same state, but they do need to be related.

Please try to not argue any of the above, I have a written opinion on this from the FCC. I questioned if my daughter and son-in-law who live in Georgia (I'm in Ohio) could use my GMRS license. The answer was yes. Again, they have to have some legal family connection. A girlfriend is not, marry her and no problem.

Spankymedic7

Before I even begin, I'm not intending this to be the beginning of some flame war, nor am I trying to upset you.

While I think I understand what your intent was, I think you could've worded it a little differently. "Idiot" isn't exactly an inviting word to those who don't hold Amateur Radio licenses, and I'm sure that in some circles, it's just plain offensive. Fortunately the OP didn't think you were trying to relate the word "idiot" to his girlfriend.

I hold a Technician Class license, and I'm by no means an "idiot", and I'm sure that I speak for others who hold the same license.

I really hope I wont be getting any flack for this, but I just felt compelled to say this.

Take care.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Premium Subscriber
HEY GREAT INPUT!!

Sorry i dont know a single person who holds a ham license. Sorry ive never even met a licensed ham in my life. I have a strong interest in this hobby, and no one to teach me, but myself. And like several other instances, i like to ask people with experience. I dont learn the best by reading and taking tests, i learn the best with the "hands on" experience, which this hobby doesnt really allow. It makes it a bit challenging with absolutely ZERO knowledge or experience in this field. So i have to start somewhere. Im studying online right now. I plan on taking the test on march 26th. In regards to my original question, yeah, ill admit, i could have spent some time and looked it up, but i figured it would be easier just to ask here. Sorry. Lesson learned. it wont happen again! (especially after that other thread i think i played a role in triggering)

Good luck with your testing. Please let us know how it goes.

:)

sloop

beischel and Hometownwarrior...you are both correct, GMRS does require a license. When I made the post I was thinking only in terms of 'being tested' (amateur) as opposed to 'filling out an application and enclosing money' (GMRS). I did not say that GMRS did not require a license, I just felt that it would be the easier path for him and his girlfriend to communicate since there was no test required. I should have made myself more clear....sorry. In my area most people I know don't know the difference between FRS, GMRS, and MURS, they buy them at Wal Mart and use them like CB's...no license!

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
HEY GREAT INPUT!!

You have a HAM club right in your backyard... visit this site and see when their meetings are. I bet you would have a blast and find out some great information. Pioneer Amateur Radio Club

SquierStrat

. A girlfriend is not, marry her and no problem.

haha, no. "im marrying you so we can share GMRS privileges" LOL Could you imagine.

Good luck with your testing. Please let us know how it goes.

:)
It went great! Passed the tech with flying colors and did really well on the general too
You have a HAM club right in your backyard... visit this site and see when their meetings are. I bet you would have a blast and find out some great information. Pioneer Amateur Radio Club
yep, ive been listening to those guys for a couple months now. Im sure ill introduce myself to them sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.