146.520!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing a lot of chatter on this simplex frequency in my area, not just bits and pieces full conversations between people. First time I have heard people talking on ham radio, rather exciting. Hearing people loud and clear with stock antenna on my UV5R!

Just thought I'd share!

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Congrats...146.52 is the national calling frequency for 2 meters and 446.000 is the other one.

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
Congrats...146.52 is the national calling frequency for 2 meters and 446.000 is the other one.

I'm quite aware of this, I have monitored it for months and not heard a bit of chatter. This is the first time I have heard chatter in quite sometime.

LtDoc

That 146.520 Mhz isn't too active locally. Maybe because there are several repeaters around too. It takes 'spells', you know? I don't bother monitoring it, I'm probably the one missing out on things...
- 'Doc

rapidcharger

It's worth pointing out that it's meant to be a calling frequency. Not a chit-chat frequency.
A lot of people don't seem to grasp that concept.
It's sort of like channel 16 on marine VHF. You make contact with someone then you move to another channel.
If people stay parked on .52 like they would if they were on a repeater then it can be very difficult or impossible for other stations to make contact. So it's really not the best practice to carry on a conversation there.

n8zcc

It's worth pointing out that it's meant to be a calling frequency. Not a chit-chat frequency.
A lot of people don't seem to grasp that concept.
It's sort of like channel 16 on marine VHF. You make contact with someone then you move to another channel.
If people stay parked on .52 like they would if they were on a repeater then it can be very difficult or impossible for other stations to make contact. So it's really not the best practice to carry on a conversation there.

Ya we do, I move if I am stationary. I chat on simplex when traveling by car, well, Tahoe in my case. Depending on who you are having a QSO with, your time is limited. My wife and I drive out to South Dakota once a year to visit relatives and I chat all the way out on simplex, sometimes pass from station to station and sometimes another mobile.

Before you ask, it is a nightmare to fly out to Sioux City, South Dakota and very expensive. That is why we drive.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
A lot of people don't seem to grasp that concept...

The ARRL bandplan refers to it as the national simplex calling frequency, but actual use is more of a local tradition. There are lots of local areas where it's used as a calling and working frequency, and in that case, local custom trumps the ARRL's bandplan. There are a lot of regions in the U.S. that don't follow the ARRL VHF/UHF bandplans at all, but have created their own.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there's anything wrong whatever conversation on .52. If people don't use it, nobody knows it's there. Never, in 15 years, has anyone ever said to me, can you take this conversation somewhere else because I want to call another station on .52

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry for any spelling errors.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Keep it locked out in all my radios unless I'm traveling. It's become a ragchew frequency around here.. And lately the 146.55 "ARES" simplex has become home to an Echolink node. (Yes, he is doing it out of spite).

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

n7lxi said:
I don't think there's anything wrong whatever conversation on .52. If people don't use it, nobody knows it's there. Never, in 15 years, has anyone ever said to me, can you take this conversation somewhere else because I want to call another station on .52

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry for any spelling errors.

Well put. Most of the people I chat with on simplex use our ARES UHF simplex channel, mostly because nobody around here really uses UHF, never mind simplex. Never in my 20 years have I ever heard anyone ask to make a call on 52 if there is a conversation already on going. The other 'hiding spot' is our VHF ARES simplex. It is not in the traditional simplex band and there for not really included in most. People's scan lists.

stevelton

There is no FCC rule stating that 146.52 must be used as a calling, then move frequency. Older hams will cry tradition, but they dont realize that old traditions die with old hams, then new hams get to start their own new traditions.
Every area will do something different. There is no universal right or wrong. The basic rule applies, be respectful and courteous, and never willfully interfere with someone.
With all that being said, in my home area, 146.52 is used by the more tradition hams. So I steer clear of there if possible, but sometimes I monitor from my base in case an out of town ham happens to pass through.
The group I run with is switching over to NXDN UHF, and with that we are only running Icom commercial UHF mobiles and HTs. Me and a friend talk on 446.000 analog on the drive to work, as we're only 10 miles apart during the drive. There are a bunch of 2m repeaters around, but none of them are ever used.
When I travel, I follow the wilderness protocol. My VHF scans 52, my UHF scans UHF call, and my 6m sits on 52.525, then I have the scanner for public safety.
Steven KC9GMX

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
CB here we come

That is exactly what happened with CB. Everyone wanted to do their own thing, then we ended up with chaos.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That is exactly what happened with CB. Everyone wanted to do their own thing, then we ended up with chaos.

Not the same thing. See, 146.520 simplex has always been a regional thing. Some areas like to think of it as a calling channel. Other areas like to think of it as just a simplex channel for whatever... Then along comes the ARRL and their bandplan declares that it's a calling channel, and all of a sudden the rest of the nation is wrong?

Not so fast. The guys in Newington aren't always in tune with what the rest of the country is doing. I'm sure they mean well, but they're in an insular little community there in Connecticut. And if you don't like their point of view, they're reachable by e-mail at arrl@eastofthehudson.org.

But I think their bandplans are best left alone, and prefer to see what the local communities have to say about it. I'm not worried about it going the way of cb. The .52 dilemma has been going on for 40 years that I know of. Just use it the way the locals in your area use it, and you'll be fine.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Keep it locked out in all my radios unless I'm traveling. It's become a ragchew frequency around here.. And lately the 146.55 "ARES" simplex has become home to an Echolink node. (Yes, he is doing it out of spite).

Really? The next time I make it up north again, I'll give .550 a listen. :wink:

n9zas

gewecke

Banned

There is a big difference between .520 simplex and cb, the license only being one. :wink:
I actually prefer simplex instead of repeaters most of the time anyway.

n9zas

RodStrong

There is a big difference between .520 simplex and cb, the license only being one. :wink:

I actually prefer simplex instead of repeaters most of the time anyway.

n9zas

+1. I have monitored .52 and UHF calling when in my work rig and personal rig (and when traveling) for years. Rarely hear much, but once in a while, I catch someone and chat for a min. or two. Wish I would hear more. I could care less if people chat it up on those freqs. or not. It's great to hear traffic on simplex.

gewecke

Banned
I'll PM ya his call, you can connect and listen to 550 from there hehe...

I doubt I know him, but hopefully he gets corrected. :wink:
Btw, what is the node number?

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.