Ham radio test, was there a test change recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

I've been too lazy to get my ham ticket for over 3 years because I really haven't made the effort. I remember the test was supposed to change in 2011 or 2012, not sure really. Can anyone point me to the right direction in terms of a recent manuals or study guides for exam. Thanks I really appreciate the info.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Technician - Question Pool effective July 1, 2010 and valid through June 30, 2014.

General - Question Pool effective July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2015.

Extra - Question Pool effective July 1, 2012 and valid until June 30, 2016.

I found the Gordon West books easier than the ARRL books - W5YI : Products Catalog

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Gorden West study books are what I used. Their pretty good.

Danny37

Technician - Question Pool effective July 1, 2010 and valid through June 30, 2014.

General - Question Pool effective July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2015.

Extra - Question Pool effective July 1, 2012 and valid until June 30, 2016.

I found the Gordon West books easier than the ARRL books - W5YI : Products Catalog

I have very limited knowledge on ham radio, so do you think it will break everything down for me? Does it have a practice test or study guide section in it?

donnie_ke6don

FWIW, when I studied for my Tech, I used the Gordon West book and several of the online exam sites.
Eham was one. Also went to Ham test online.
After reading his book and taking several of the online exams and getting 70% on them, I went and took the Tech test.
Now I doing the same for General.
What I like about Gordon, is he makes the different subjects simple to understand.
Danny, it does have a study section in it.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

WB4CS

I have very limited knowledge on ham radio, so do you think it will break everything down for me? Does it have a practice test or study guide section in it?

Yes.

Granted it was 1994 when I studied for my ham license, so I'm not sure how much the books have changed, but the Gordon West books were amazing. I used them for all of my written exams and even his Morse Code audio tapes. When I got into ham radio I knew nothing about how radio and RF works. The Gordon West books gave each test question with a detailed explaniation of why each answer was correct. I learned a lot from those books.

Good luck on the studying and hope to see you post on here soon that you passed your exam!

Danny37

Thank you guys so much.

I know one of you said I should go ahead and take the exam when I'm 70% ready but how long is the average study time before you take the test. I'm thinking that it can take me 2 weeks if I put the effort and study a couple hours a day. What do you think?

NW7OR

I've been too lazy to get my ham ticket for over 3 years because I really haven't made the effort. I remember the test was supposed to change in 2011 or 2012, not sure really. Can anyone point me to the right direction in terms of a recent manuals or study guides for exam. Thanks I really appreciate the info.

You can give this a try:

https://hamstudy.org/

However, I strongly suggest that you always click on "Explain it" at the top of each question and actually learn about it.

Good luck and 73,

Richard, NW7OR

N2AL

I used hamelmer.com , but most importantly, I used The Ham Whisperer. You can find him at www.hamwhisperer.com , and YouTube his videos by searching ham whisperer. His videos are very instructional, and if you don't like reading all that much, just listen. I spent four days watching the videos and taking practice tests and axed the tech exam.

His videos go over each of the thirty something question banks. Example : Reads question one then reads the answer. Then practice test at the end of each bank (usually ten questions in a bank).

I hope this is useful.

73's

Andrew L.
KK4IFN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Spankymedic7

Each Person Is Different

I know one of you said I should go ahead and take the exam when I'm 70% ready but how long is the average study time before you take the test. I'm thinking that it can take me 2 weeks if I put the effort and study a couple hours a day. What do you think?

Hi Danny,

I took the Tech exam when there were still (2) elements to it, totaling 50 questions (mid 90s). I studied regularly for 2 weeks, and I think I may have purchased the "Now You're Talking" text book. I missed only 2 questions. From what I've learned from other HAMs with whom I've spoken, this seems to be about the average. However, each person is different. Do you really want to know when you'll be ready? Only you will know that.

A quick anecdote about my Tech exam... I completed the exam and walked it up to the VEs. I looked on in horror as the one VE made one red mark after another, after another, after another. Upon the VE's completion of grading my exam, he told me that "Today just wasn't my day..." I stood there in disbelief, and looked at another VE with a look of desperation. He took the exam, looked over at the answer sheet that the VE used to grade my exam...and discovered that the wrong answer sheet was used. After re-grading my exam, I was told that I had missed only 2 questions.

I just had to share that...talk about exam day anxiety.

Take care, Danny, and let us know how you do on the exam.

Cory-

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

Only you can answer this question. Everyone has different learning abilities. I took 2 weeks for the tech and 3 weeks for the general. I used the online practice until I was getting most of the answers correct. I would say 70 percent is low as this is the minimum requirement. I think 98 percent is more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.