What was the first radio or scanner you ever owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

Craig 8 channel crystal base scanner, then a 20 channel programmable portable from Cellphone Shack

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
My first radio was a General Electric AM clock radio my Parental Units gave me for my eighth birthday. Not long after I got it, I was AM DXing without realizing that is what I was doing. I was hooked!

My first radio to monitor public safety was a Radio Shack Patrolman Mini. It was a AM broadcast/VHF high handheld receiver.

First proper scanner was a Regency HX-1500 hand held. First SWL receiver a Hallicrafters S-120A.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And old RCA Victor tube radio with SW AM only from the 1940s era. Listened to hams on AM. So long ago I do not even know what frequencies. First 2 way radio was a pair of Channel Master hand helds. Could change the frequencies on Crappy Band by changing crystals. First hand held scanner was a Radio Shack tap top [sorry can't remember the model number] that was good for Air, VHF and UHF before trunking.

mrweather

First radio was a Radio Shack shortwave (can't remember the model) with analog tuning.

First scanner was a Bearcat 175XLT. Faux woodgrain finish and 16 channels of conventional scanning goodness.

RodStrong

Scanner, maybe a RS Pro 32 (still works today) and tranceiver, maybe a Motorola M216 VHF.

I've owned a few CBs over the years before that, and some toy walkie talkies as a kid, but long forgot what models they were.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
First scanner was a Uniden Bearcat 100XL 16 channel handheld.

First amateur radio was a Yaesu FT-23R 2m handheld.

elk2370bruce

First scanner was an EF Johnson eight channel with red minubulbs. First receiving radio was a Lafayette rocket-shaped crystal radio that I hooked up to the aluminum screen in my room. First ham rig was a Healthkit AT-1 and a Hallacrafters S-38 into a folded dipole. I remember tuning it with a light bulb soldered to a short hunk of coax with a PL259. Later traded up to a National 300 receiver that was a real room warmer and a hernia hazard. Damned thing weight more than I did..

Marv_Ellis

My first Public Safety / Shortwave band radio was some non-descript multi-band portable I found stashed away in our basement circa 1978. It had no antenna, so I used a coat-hangar and picked up WWV and some other two-way chatter on one of the bands. Took me awhile to get into it, but I've been fascinated with radio communications ever since.

My first "real" scanner was a Realistic PRO-23 VHF-Hi/Air 4 ch crystal portable I bought in 1984. I later traded it to some dude for a Trio (Kenwood) 9R-59D tube communications receiver.

I've owned probably 40 or 50 different radios since then...including a Regency Turboscan INFO-5 preprogrammed scanner from around 1985. It still works perfectly, although most of the programmed agencies are long gone.

KR4BD

1955 - My VERY FIRST radio: A Remco Crystal Radio (received just ONE station...WABJ in Adrian, MI) using a 50 ft long wire antenna in the backyard.

1956 - First REAL radio.... An RCA AM tabletop model using the "All-American Five" tube combination. This radio hooked me to AM DXing. As an 8 year-old living in SE Michigan at the time, I was amazed I could regularly hear Boston, Denver, Salt Lake City, New Orleans San Antonio, etc., EVERY night on this radio.... The AM band was much less crowded in those days!

1962 - FIRST General Coverage Receiver...an RCA Model ACR-111, 16 tube monster built in 1937. I acquired this from a local ham operator. This radio could hear EVERYTHING! All the Class 1-A Clear Channels could be heard nightly in Riverside, CA where I was living at the time. I also got my first taste of ham and shortwave listening during this time.

1971 - First Scanner. I was living in Indianapolis by now and bought a Regency 8-channel VHF crystal scanner. Indy Police at the time used ONLY TWO frequencies: 155.01 (East Channel) and 158.85 (West Channel). Fire was on 154.07 or 154.19 if my memory is right. I STILL HAVE THIS SCANNER in FULL WORKING order.

1975 - FIRST Ham Rigs.... I got my Novice License in early 1975 and built a Heathkit Ham station. The Receiver was an HR10B. The transmitter was a DX-60B using an HG10 VFO. After assembly, I amazed myself...Everything worked (!) and I have been an active ham ever since.

Radio has been a fascinating, lifetime journey for me. GREAT MEMORIES !!!

N5TWB

Regency ACT-8 VHF Lo/Hi and a Pace 23-channel CB, later upgraded to a 10-channel Regency crystal scanner and a Pace 23-channel SSB CB rig.

Entered the "modern" scanning age with a Radio Shack Pro95 programmable scanner. First ham rig was Kenwood TH-215 2 meter handheld and a 30-watt amplifier.

Sccafire

My first scanner was a Realistic PRO 4, 4A or 6. I know thats what it looked like but I do not remember exactly what modeI I had. I do remember it was a 4 channel crystal scanner. I had received it from my grandfather when I was 14 or 15 in 1984 or 85. My First radio was Yaesu FT-2500M.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Well, I cant remember back that far. it had to be something with crystal in it. I have been doing this from the early 60's, back then it was short wave radio in Japan to hear what was going on back in the States, my Dad was in the Navy and we where at war. In the last forty years things sure have changed, I still own most of my Dads old radio stuff as well as my own, I have his old Sears 23 channel crystal C.B. SSB that we talked skip from Puerto Rico back in the 70's, I remember the day we got that thing some where around a grand at that time, "Top of the line" at that time.. we talked all around the world on that thing with our D-104 lollypop mic, moon racker 4 and stardust antennas and a home built.

bkantor

First Shortwave - Zenith TransOceanic vintage 1940's - my grandfather got it as a prize for safe driving (He was a driver for Wonderbread)
First Scanner - Silver Pro-38. 10 glorious channels without the need for crystals! I still have that radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.