RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 11:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Repeater Database

I have done some searching on the forum. I have found some links. I feel the links were not that good. Does anybody know of a known good repeater database (free or paid) that gets updated on a regular basis? I do know about TravelPlus for Repeaters. I don't have a smart phone so phone apps won't work.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This maybe of some help to you. I have used it for repeaters in my area and have had some luck with it here in SW Ohio. If not I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

Hope this helps.
ICOM 3230A 2m/440 Kenwood TH-F6 Wouxon KG-UV3D 2m/440 President HR2510 10 meter
Old 06-29-2013, 1:14 PM

There are NO good on-line repeater directories that cover the entire nation. Virtually all of them are full of errors and omissions. Your best bet is the ARRL repeater directory (full of errors and omissions but better than anything online), or if you're only interested in a specific area, go to the frequency coordinator's website for the area of interest and see if they publish a directory.

As an example, you're in Northern California, so go here:

NARCC - Northern Amateur Relay Council of California

That's about as good as it's going to get. Interested in a different area? Do a Google search for the repeater frequency coordinator that covers the area of interest.
Old 06-29-2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_eugene1 View Post
This maybe of some help to you. I have used it for repeaters in my area and have had some luck with it here in SW Ohio. If not I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

Hope this helps.
The artsci website is the absolutely worst one there is and is so full of errors it should be taken down
as there no hope for all the errors.

Normally i would recommend the ARRL NFCC website but most of the links are broke so you have to
go through the list. This is as good as it gets online and has the most up to date info but is not
perfect either. It will not include uncoordinated repeaters.

NFCC.US - NFCC Coordinators
Old 06-29-2013, 1:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is a list of online repeater databases at the bottom of this page
Amateur Radio - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 06-29-2013, 4:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for all the links! How often do you all update your own radios?
Old 06-29-2013, 5:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I update my radio if something changes with a repeater that I might want to use. That does not happen very often.
Old 06-29-2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
Thanks for all the links! How often do you all update your own radios?
Only when something changes that I care about.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 PM

My favorite database is Repeaterbook.com. The information on there is 99% of the time very accurate.
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2013, 7:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: Repeater Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCOPP1 View Post
My favorite database is Repeaterbook.com. The information on there is 99% of the time very accurate.
I use the RepeaterBook app for Android. It uses the RepeaterBook.com database and will give you the information for all the reporters near your current position.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-30-2013, 4:41 PM

I have found repeaterbook to be a great site but nowhere near 99% accurate.
The only reason it's maybe 46% percent accurate is because of the many submissions I have made and even then unfortunately they change them but they mess up and put the wrong info.

There's so many repeaters out there nowadays and practically anyone can put up a repeater. No restrictions for those guides on whethere they are in someone's back yard or not with a coverage area of 3 blocks. I think the hurdle to overcome with establishing a repeater directory that is worth anything is to pre-screen the repeaters and only include those with a certain level of funding and support behind them.

Last edited by rapidcharger; 06-30-2013 at 4:44 PM..
Old 07-02-2013, 3:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I like k5ehx.net

Seems to be up to date for my area and for the most part, matches the ARRL repeater directory for my area.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Without a doubt, K5EHX Amateur Radio Repeater Mapping.
Old 07-04-2013, 4:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

the problem with ALL repeater databases, is they are only as reliable as the submissions, and the data base administrators.

Lots of "paper" repeaters exist in my town, especially on UHF. There has been one listed in my home city since the late 1980s that has NEVER existed and NEVER been put on the air, the coordination is even out of the local coordinator's database, but it still shows up in listings on artscipub, the ARRL repeater directory, among other places.

Many repeater owner's don't have the interest, or time, to contact EVERY single DBA and update them with a "status" report of their system. For example, my repeater is currently offline due to a needed feedline replacement and structure upgrade- it's not gone for good- but it's been down for about 9 months. Do you think I have the time (or motivation) to contact EVERY single repeater directory and report this? Do I expect them to "update" their databases in realtime? Some of the sites don't make it particularly easy for us repeater owners to even provide updates on our systems, and it's not like they are "mission critical". Repeaters are not public utilities.

The databases are what they are intended to be, a general guide. Your mileage may very proves very true with these databases.
Old 07-04-2013, 7:07 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
There has been one listed in my home city since the late 1980s that has NEVER existed and NEVER been put on the air, the coordination is even out of the local coordinator's database, but it still shows up in listings on artscipub, the ARRL repeater directory, among other places.
What I don't understand about this is that the ARRL Repeater Directory is generated from the coordinators' databases. Every year, around December, the ARRL solicits the various repeater coordinators around the country to send a dump of their database to the ARRL for publishing in the ARRL Repeater Directory. If this repeater has been deleted from your local coordinator's database, but it still appears in the ARRL Repeater Directory, there's a disconnect between your coordinator and the ARRL.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Sponsored links

Old 07-04-2013, 8:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If the ARRL was concerned about putting out an accurate repeater listing rather than selling as many copies as possible, then they would omit a lot of information that is in the Directory just because coordinators have not bothered to report in.

For those areas where they get no responses, there are still listings. An accurate directory would omit those areas.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What I wish for is a list of *actively used* repeaters. If I'm traveling to an unfamiliar area, I'd like to have a list of the most active repeaters in that area. I don't care there are 40 2 meter repeaters *on the air* in that city, but 35 of them nobody uses or monitors.
Sometimes the RACES/ARES/SKYWARN repeaters are the more active ones, so I tend to gravitate to those lists.
Old 07-04-2013, 1:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
If the ARRL was concerned about putting out an accurate repeater listing rather than selling as many copies as possible, then they would omit a lot of information that is in the Directory just because coordinators have not bothered to report in.

For those areas where they get no responses, there are still listings. An accurate directory would omit those areas.
Why? If there haven't been any changes, the information from the previous year (or years) is still valid, or is as valid as is likely to be found. It's unfortunate that this method only displays the coordinated repeaters, since those may or may not actually be on the air (aka "paper repeaters") but it's what we get sometimes.
Old 07-04-2013, 8:04 PM

One trick I use while traveling is running my scanner on the band i'm interested in. The scanner is a PSR-500, which shows the PL if any, which makes it easy to program into my mobile. If all else fails, 520 simplex sometimes gets a response. I also have the Repeaterbook app on my phone, and the Travelplus app in my GPS. 100% accurate? No, but it gives you a place to start.

Another thing I've had extremely good luck with is contacting a local club or two in the specific area i'm traveling to, and getting repeater info that way.
Old 07-04-2013, 8:07 PM

The most accurate data base I have found is the SERA Repeater Journal. It contains an eight state repeater index (southeastern US). The next most accurate is individual club/association web sites such as ARES or Skywarn. As far as to what to program into your radio...I programmed every receive/transmit frequency pairs into my radio, I then went back and organized those pairs with their pl's into memory banks based on areas that I travel too. It is simply a matter of accessing the proper bank when I am in a certain area or general scan memory and search for pl on a new rept. then storing it into a bank.