If you weren't a ham already, would you get into it today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have the pleasure of getting together with a childhood friend every year. We go back over 30 years together and used to talk to each other on the local 2 meter repeater as we rode the bus to high school, except we were separated by a river and were in two different states. Fast forward to last Saturday. He has a condo not far from me and spends his vacation down here. So, when we get together, we go through the usual list of what happened to who, who's a silent key, etc. This year, he said something like, "this isn't the ham radio you and I grew up with." My son (a general class licensee) is a high school senior and wants to start a ham radio club in his high school. He has fought for ham radio's relevance there, and loses to other, more popular interests. So, my friend wasn't very confident that it would happen.

I wanted to argue the point, but when I went back to a college I attended, the ham radio tower that had the HF and 2 meter beam that I helped put up during the summer of 1981 were gone. Sawed down. A bicycle rack is there now. The club callsign on a yellowing framed membership certificate I have has long gone silent. Another university club near my hometown still has its callsign, but the station lies fallow. The station was a tradition that is now silent during contests and special events. He's right. It's not the ham radio we grew up with.

So, we seem to be a solution looking for a problem. A lot of people talk about "public service" and emergency operations, but that may be a struggle for relevance, too. "Security" and labor issues usually push away volunteers. Heavy training requirements, too. Many C-level individuals who came up through computer systems don't even know about RF, let alone amateur radio, except that it's often the last mile or the module that interfaces with an accesspoint. All we need to do to see this in action is to look at the other boards here and see how infrastructure-dependent broadband systems will satisfy all needs for everyone. And, here I am, on the computer instead of upstairs calling CQ.

My son tells me that only one teacher he knows in the high school has ever heard of amateur radio, and that's because his grandfather was one - complete with a lot of boat anchor stuff. The teacher has never turned it on, and it never crossed his mind to mess with the "junk in the basement."

So, here's the question: if you weren't already a ham, and you didn't know anything about this, is ham radio something that would attract you today? Would you naturally be interested?

Try not to look at the question through the lens of an experienced ham. My interest, for the most part, is how we can maintain relevance and promote science, technology, and math to our children (and their teachers... but that's an entirely different story). I'm also looking at this from a selfish perspective. This hobby defines a good deal of "me," to the point that if I didn't have it, I'm not sure what I'd be doing. We've had some wonderful discussions about how we all got into the hobby. Maybe this can expand that conversation a bit.

AC2OY

I say yes considering I got my Technician license last year. Radio has always fascinated me. I just wish I was better in math and sciences to understand more of the extra exam book is talking about. I think I did more research on this topic in the last few years then I ever did in my entire life including college.

MK

Having received my first license 40 years ago, I would have to answer "No" to your question. When I became interested as a young person in ham radio there was no cable TV, Internet, and other activites that are very engaging. My goal in becoming a ham was not to use radio for public service; it was to learn about radio and communicate with others. I can do that now through forums and cell phones very easily.

Digital technology has enhanced so many activities that hobbies I became interested in many years ago, such as photography, are more interesting now than they were when I started in them. Therefore, I could not imagine becoming interested in a hobby today that would require spending thousands of dollars just to talk with someone that I do not know. Also, years ago it was easier to put up an antenna than it is now. Most HOA's would never allow placement of a tower and antenna.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In my case, the answer is "yes". I got into amateur radio for two reasons: severe weather spotting and public service. I'm still doing both. Central Indiana isn't the hot bed for severe weather activity that other parts of the country are, but we still get enough severe weather to keep my interest. On the public service front, I volunteer for about a dozen public service events each year and I'm always on the lookout for new events to try.

Recently, I've started dabbling in low-key contesting and that's opening up a whole new world to me.

WB4CS

My answer varies depending on how I would come to discover the hobby.

If I were to discover it from the internet, it’s possible I wouldn’t have any interest at all. We’re lucky here at RR, the forums are rather tame and very welcoming to new people that wish to learn. If I were to discover Amateur Radio here, I might be convinced to try it out. However, there’s another popular radio forum – I won’t name any names – that turns my stomach as an almost 20 year ham right now. Had I discovered Amateur Radio from “that” forum, it’s very doubtful I would have any interest in joining, considering that particular forum is full of grouchy old men complaining about how no one is a “real” ham operator unless they passed 20 WPM code exam and use 50 year old radios that they built out of spare military parts. That group on the “other popular” forum is not helping new people get into radio, they are only help speed up the death of this hobby by running off everyone that’s under 60 years old.

I should make my point about the above paragraph very clear: Since a newbie will get a lot of exposure to the hobby from the internet, it’s imperative that we show a good online persona. Especially when promoting it to others to get into the hobby.

On the other hand, had I been introduced to the hobby in person from another Amateur, it’s very likely I would be interested. Someone like me that is a technology geek would be intrigued by the various methods of communication that we have in Amateur Radio. Digital modes, satellite contacts, and Echolink/IRLP would probably catch my attention today. I also have a curiosity about older technology, so the more “primitive” modes of two-way communication such as voice and Morse Code that got me interested 20 years ago would make me want to learn more about the hobby today. I imagine after doing the research and discovering how easy it is to (now) get an Amateur Radio license, I would probably take the Technician exam.

The real question is, would I as a new ham be as active in the hobby as I am now, after 19 years? I’m not so sure I would be, considering the price of new HF gear and the lack of activity on VHF/UHF in my area. I’m sure I would have found the same great small group of locals on my favorite 2 meter repeater that I talk to today, but the cost of upgrading into the HF bands would probably detour me from wanting to upgrade beyond Technician.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Having received my first license 40 years ago, I would have to answer "No" to your question. When I became interested as a young person in ham radio there was no cable TV, Internet, and other activites that are very engaging. My goal in becoming a ham was not to use radio for public service; it was to learn about radio and communicate with others. I can do that now through forums and cell phones very easily.

Digital technology has enhanced so many activities that hobbies I became interested in many years ago, such as photography, are more interesting now than they were when I started in them. Therefore, I could not imagine becoming interested in a hobby today that would require spending thousands of dollars just to talk with someone that I do not know. Also, years ago it was easier to put up an antenna than it is now. Most HOA's would never allow placement of a tower and antenna.

Had an interest in radio since the 50's. My dad had a commercial license, he wanted to work at a radio station, or tv. Used to put all kinds of radio kits together. Had a neighbor that was a ham operator and was a boy scout leader in the troop I was a member. Attempted my novice license back in the late 50's. Didn't pass. Thirty years later, a close friend introduced me to ham radio again. Got licensed and loved being on HF. Upgraded to Tech/General and found a different part of the service. Did skywarn as a spotter and net control. Got introduced to Packet. My favorite was 2m SSB.
Fast forward to present day. Moved from Ohio to Georgia. When I lived in Ohio, no problems putting up antennas and towers. Moved to Georgia and all kinds of restrictions for outside antennas and towers. Tried HF mobile, too much hassle in the traffic. Belonged to a local club and ARES (lots of weather in GA:)) Then came the same people saying the same things on the repeaters everyday. Sold all ham gear except for an HT. Scanning was more fun. Little over a year ago, tried digital by going with D-Star. Interesting for about eight months, lots of new people to talk with around the world and local. My new HF and all I needed was a radio and a computer. Only problem, it started to be just like the old analog repeaters, same people at the same time each day, talking about the same things. Bummer. The digital radio sits idle.
Would I do it again? Probably not. TV, the internet and all that I can monitor on my scanners just is way more interesting.
ARES got infiltrated by the federal government with massive amounts of paper work just to interact with the local PD/SO and FD.
For me, the fun is gone.
Larry

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Mine would be yes. My radio interests started at age 8-9 when I built a toy radio that ran on a flashlight battery a few diodes in a plastic case and a 9 foot piece of wire for the antenna. Receive only. Listen to stations in Europe!!! Used rtadios in the military all the time. Went into CB's in the early 70's. Cane back from overseas where it was banned to have a CB. UK.. Got interested in Amatuer radio when a friend came to work on a radar site I was working at with a 2 meter HT and hit a repeater about 15 miles away and talked to a guy in Enterprise , Al. Got my novice in 1985 and got the extra in 95.

There is some interest in the hobby but unfortunatly it is waining kind of fast.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Absolutely. I love all things RADIO.
If it generates, receives, uses or runs on RF, I am there.
RF is just plain MAGIC

I first got my novice in 1986. I was 9.
I've been fascinated with all things radio from broadcasting (grew up with a GE AM-FM table radio by my side since I could remember) and became interested in two-way communications at around age 7.

I am glad I was around for some of those "golden" years when ham radio was at the forefront of wireless technology.

rapidcharger

So, here's the question: if you weren't already a ham, and you didn't know anything about this, is ham radio something that would attract you today? Would you naturally be interested?

Try not to look at the question through the lens of an experienced ham.

That's a good question.

"Today" being post economic recession, and having a whole new set of priorities, and seeing radio and hearing radio used so very little, I would have to say that I would most likely not be attracted to the hobby.

That said, I've long theorized that ham radio is genetic, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when, once you are exposed to it. I just don't see the same kind opportunities for exposure that I used to have.

I definitely get my moneys worth out of my license though! I'm on the air every day. Several hours per week.

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming! Lots of things to think about here.

The genetics of ham radio - you know, that could be like the fire service or law enforcement, and now even EMS. The people who are most satisfied in those fields seem to have had it in their blood. Same with the military. I knew entire families whose house would clear out when the pager went off. My children and my wife are all hams. I don't think my wife would have voluntarily done this. We used GMRS and a VHF business channel for a while until she finally bit the bullet. The kids more or less traded for things they wanted. Want X? Go get your technician! Only one of the four actually took to it, and he's on the radio a few times a week now that school's out. They all do get on (I have a tone remote in the kitchen that goes to the repeater upstairs), but my older son and I would be the ones to stray off the reservation and make contacts with people. In my RR bio, I wrote about the magic I had growing up with radio. I don't know what I would have been without it and can't imagine myself not having been interested in one way or another.

Other places - I know exactly where you're talking about, Brandon. I've had to be thick-skinned in most of the situations I've been in, but I wouldn't want to be there. I like these forums we have here because we can look at these kinds of things, in addition to other aspects of the hobby. I listen much more than I talk, so if we go by that, I've got a receiver on and close-by for most of my waking hours. I rarely talk, though, unless there's a full moon and the wolf's bane is in bloom.

State of the art - One of the biggest motivators I had was talking to my friends, all of whom eventually caved in to my incessant prodding and got their licenses. When I moved, the best thing was arranging the planets to call another childhood friend on 15 meters or even 6 meters (we actually got to speak to each other through the NJ Garden State Parkway 6 meter amateur repeater system! Yes, there was such a thing!). And now, with this being instantaneous, it's not even fun anymore. A good deal of what I liked was putting the stuff together to make it happen. Now that it's done for me, well... It also doesn't help that he passed on a while ago and that talking to strangers about the weather, etc... not really my speed, either. At least not most of the time.

My kids (even the adult one) are distracted by the Internet and "apps." I don't see what the big deal is, but they're probably as enthused about it as I was about ham radio. So, like my friend says, as the WWII guys are going away every day, and the Korea radiomen, too, it's on us to define the relevance of ham radio. Give it that magic for the people who have it after us. It's almost like this has to be done from the ground up.

peterwo2e

I have to say a big NO. Back in the70s no internet, no cell phones, no pagers; some of us didn’t even own a house phone. Ham was very exciting and mysterious. Every other block either had a cb station or ham station here in New York City. We had so much radio activity the FCC was very busy. Today that charisma and exiting far offshore dx station is no longer an exciting catch anymore. I’m surprise the ARRL is still active.

PhotoJim

I just got my callsign this year, so there's your answer.

I like all this technology, but while one poster said his interest in photography has gone up thanks to the technology, mine has gone down. Maybe I'm a traditionalist? It might explain why amateur radio is just as interesting to me now as it was when I was a kid.

The Internet doesn't do what we do. Talking to someone across the world via radio is not at all the same as sending a quick IM or text message. Is amateur radio as necessary for the world as it once was? Maybe not (although it's still highly useful) but I don't care. I do it because I enjoy it. That's the best reason to do anything.

prerunner1982

I am taking the tests tomorrow. It is actually the current technology that led me to amateur radio. I grew up with CBs and have had one in every vehicle as a kid to current, however prior to the internet I had never been exposed to amateur radio. It was not until I was on a Jeep Cherokee message board and a member posted info on the Icom 706 MKII G he has in his Cherokee and the capabilities of the radio that got me interested.

I am trying to get more members of my local Jeep club interested in amateur radio as a means of more reliable trail and event communications. A few have shown interest but none have yet to join me in getting licensed. Perhaps once I can install a mobile rig in my Cherokee and demonstrate the capabilities it will peak their interests a bit more.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely YES. Who wants to spend the rest of their lives with their heads down and texting. That really isn't communicating. The current generation will have problems working as all they know is how to text. Doesn't help them get along with society.

RodStrong

There are people out there who think that some of the CB apps out there on smartphones are actually CB radios. Given how you can more or less talk to pretty much anyone, any place in the world live with a button press on your phone, I imagine there's plenty of folks who would find amateur radio not very interesting.

Last edited:

There are people out there who think that some of the CB apps out there on smartphones are actually CB radios. Given how you can more or less talk to pretty much anyone, any place in the world live with a button press on your phone, I imagine there's plenty of folks who would find amateur radio not very interesting.
Are these one-to-one or one-to-many communications modes, or one-to-one, like Nextel Direct Connect?

The one-to-many function, as well as off-network function - the latter being something the cellular industry and 3GPP opposes, as it circumvents revenue production - is one of the holdups for public safety use.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
My answer to this would have to be yes and no, i got intrested in Amateur Radio while listening to a scanner one day and was just hooked, i still love making contacts whenever and wherever i happen to be :). I have had to turn my back on some stuff, like Skywarn (too politisized for it`s own good IMHO), and helping new hams unfortunately (most seem not to want help anyway and would rather take their lumps and bruises). However, i still find the hobby to be enormously fun and intresting for me, and wll stay in it for life, as i`m the ONLY ham in my family, the rest just don`t get off on talking on a radio, they got the cell and IRC, and as far as i`m concerned they`re not gonna be even thinking about gettin` licensed anytime soon, and i`m cool with that too. N9NRA

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in HAM. At 31 years old I've never been licensed and have just recently installed a CB in my Jeep. I have my father in laws old analog scanner that I sometimes listen to local 2 and 6 meter nets and chatter as well. Time and money are the only things holding me back.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in HAM. At 31 years old I've never been licensed and have just recently installed a CB in my Jeep. I have my father in laws old analog scanner that I sometimes listen to local 2 and 6 meter nets and chatter as well. Time and money are the only things holding me back.

Hey there, good luck to you on your intrest in ham radio, as i said in my post above yours, i got intrested the same way, listening to an old analog scanner to the 70 cm band to the local repeater and the chatter on it. And yes, i also had a CB (there folks, i said it :D:) :)), and i just liked what i heard on the ham radio better, the people i heard seemed more welcoming too. Best advice i can give is this, keep listening, keep your intrest up, and above all, STUDY, and do that every chance you have. I spent eneumerable evenings with my nose in a Gordo book (Gordon West`s study book :)) and took classes locally for ten weeks to get licensed. Defenitely worth it. Good luck. 73. N9NRA P.S. the classes were free too...another good benefit :).

Status
Not open for further replies.