RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

AC, Both the Diamond X-510 and the Comet G-9 have high DB gain. I do know that they both will hit repeaters over 100 miles away from Baltimore with 50 watts. But remember they 17' tall and not 5' like an X-50. And the Diamond X-700 was even higher. at 9.3 db.at 24' tall.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just wondering how t0xPro-197's thread got hijacked to an antenna debate?
Larry
Old 09-19-2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman21218 View Post
AC, Both the Diamond X-510 and the Comet G-9 have high DB gain. I do know that they both will hit repeaters over 100 miles away from Baltimore with 50 watts. But remember they 17' tall and not 5' like an X-50. And the Diamond X-700 was even higher. at 9.3 db.at 24' tall.
I know that they have "high" gain, but I question the truth behind Diamond's claims of 9db. I understand that it's fairly tall, but even so, 9 just seems very excessive to me. I'd need third party proof to believe that claim.
Old 09-21-2013, 2:51 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

sorry haddent been on family problem.Anywho i need too hit the the books id like too get the ham radio lic. soon so i can test out agood ant im gonna need one for inside as well as out side.Ive thought of going too a beam on inside any suggjestion will be reaily help ful nov not far away
thanks again
Old 09-21-2013, 2:52 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCOPP1 View Post
I know that they have "high" gain, but I question the truth behind Diamond's claims of 9db. I understand that it's fairly tall, but even so, 9 just seems very excessive to me. I'd need third party proof to believe that claim.
im new on that but wouldnt that distort the your voice or no just so i know best too ask anyhow
Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0xPro-197 View Post
im new on that but wouldnt that distort the your voice or no just so i know best too ask anyhow
No, it doesn't distort your voice. It just means that the antenna is better able to concentrate/radiate the signal into an omnidirectional form. Antenna gain is basically just how good the antenna is at spitting out RF in a certain direction.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCOPP1 View Post
No, it doesn't distort your voice. It just means that the antenna is better able to concentrate/radiate the signal into an omnidirectional form. Antenna gain is basically just how good the antenna is at spitting out RF in a certain direction.
ahh ok just didnt know thanks for the info
Old 09-22-2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
sorry haddent been on family problem.Anywho i need too hit the the books id like too get the ham radio lic. soon so i can test out agood ant im gonna need one for inside as well as out side.Ive thought of going too a beam on inside any suggjestion will be reaily help ful nov not far away
thanks again
The ham-fest is in Rome Ga is October ,if you want to test then let me know and if it makes you feel better I plan on coming and since we talk a good bit I will give you the test if you like to make you feel more comfortable to keep your anxiety levels down but if you can't let me know I am willing to help you in any way my friend,just thought you might like to have someone who has talk to you awhile to administer the test to you.

Here is the time and date of the ham-fest.
2012 HamFest
Old 09-23-2013, 3:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd640 View Post
The ham-fest is in Rome Ga is October ,if you want to test then let me know and if it makes you feel better I plan on coming and since we talk a good bit I will give you the test if you like to make you feel more comfortable to keep your anxiety levels down but if you can't let me know I am willing to help you in any way my friend,just thought you might like to have someone who has talk to you awhile to administer the test to you.

Here is the time and date of the ham-fest.
2012 HamFest
when in october so i can be ready i hate too go up there and fail the test id be mad lol.just let me know when cause id like too meet the hams ive been listening too since 1998 just let me know
Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

welp looks like i half too put off getting my ham lic as well as radio car broke down and were gonna have too put out more money welp just gives me more time too study more ;/ not happy at all
Old 09-27-2013, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Just some quick thoughts for you.
Icom radios are overpriced. Period. If you are saving up for a dual band mobile for a base station, I'd go with the Yaesu FT-7900, or the Kenwood V71A. Hams can be opinionated about a lot of things Especially about radios. I started with a handheld radio and soon realized that a mobile was a better choice.
Do you really need a dual band radio to begin with? I would suggest that unless there is a lot of chatter on that band in your area, you can monitor that on the scanner, go with a 2m rig. I'm an going to suggest the Kenwood TM-281 as your starting rig. I'm guessing that you will be putting the antenna in the attic with the rest of your antenna farm. An inexpensive 2m 1/2 wave, or 5/8 wave mobile vertical antenna will serve you better than a dipole.
If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help you using the Private Message mode here on RR.
HTH,
Larry
I agree with this post 100%. Another duel band to look at is the Yaesu FT-7900, it's a great radio and can be found for some pretty decent prices when one looks around. The Icom's are great radio's, but no better than the other top brands and you do pay for the name.

The other reason for a duel bander. Where I live, most people use VHF. The Vhf repeaters outnumber UHF by better than 4 to one.
Thing is, I went to see my parents in Washington State, leaving from Idaho. I quickly discovered that the upper part of Idaho and the Tacoma area of Washington use mostly UHF, so if I just had a VHF radio, I would have been out of luck.

73's John
Old 04-03-2014, 3:15 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

welp ive not study lost my dad in januuray i reaily need too get back too it cause wanna start talking on air sorry been ahawile been arouught 4 years for me.i may just try going too a hamfest hopefully soon and get my lic
Old 04-03-2014, 3:35 PM

Default Re: Just a genral discussion

Quote:
welp ive not study lost my dad in januuray i reaily need too get back too it cause wanna start talking on air sorry been ahawile been arouught 4 years for me.i may just try going too a hamfest hopefully soon and get my lic
I'm not a ham but I want to offer my condolences to you and your family sir. Best of luck on getting your license and getting on the air!

Sent from a rotary phone
Old 04-04-2014, 3:12 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

thanks its still hard too deal with but hed want me too keep going so i am God bless