Just a genral discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
Was listenig too 220.160 listened too the stuff they talked about also on 146.940.They was talking about dual ant.The guy was saying haven a dual mode ant. is not allways agood thing based on the fact its not tuned too the certain freq.2 meters and 70 centmeters seem too be awhole differnet wave link.It was helpful too me cause when i do go take the test and get my licc. Ill know what too do.I just thought about asking all you hams out there.What do you think about dual band ant is it agood thing or no.Just something that helps me understand more.Thanks for the time youall take.God Bless

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've always been disappointed with the performance of dual band antennas on 2m and 70cm. They seem to tune up ok, but I think they can have problems with the vertical pattern, so when they radiate, it either goes up to the sky, or into the ground.

I've NEVER used a dual band antenna I was happy with. So, if I need two band coverage, I drill two holes in the roof.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
yeah one of the hams on 146.940 said the same thing saying your not gonna get the best with a dual band ant.One reason ill listenen too the hams for server weather of course but also for the knowledge they have very smart people are hams in my option anyhow

AgentCOPP1

For my purposes, dual band has worked wonderfully for me. I've been able to hit my repeater from 50 miles away, and if that isn't great performance, then I don't know what is. I think hams freak out too much about making sure their rig is absolutely 100% the best that it can possibly be, but all that extra effort might yield just a few more miles distance on 2m/440. I see no reason why I need a single band antenna because mine works great.

LtDoc

I use a dual-band antenna and have for several years (same antenna on 3 - 4 vehicles). It doesn't have the highest advertised gain numbers, but it does just fine for me and not just 'locally'. The 70 cm band doesn't have the lowest SWR but it's not terrible. It's not resonant exactly on the frequencies I use and it just doesn't matter that much, it works fine. Would I make changes in it if I were designing it? Yes, I think so, but nothing super important. And while it isn't the simplest thing to do, it can definitely be tuned for where you want to use it. Maybe I'm just easy to please... or don't expect miracles.
- 'Doc

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
well the radio i order is a handheld its dual mode 2cm 440 so i wounder if it will get out far i wont know til i got get my lic.Ill montor til i go take the test >I guess its all in what your main HT is.it seems most have the 440 and 2cm ive listend too the 220 seems its pretty storng repeater.But i guess if i want too just tx on 2cm i enjoy listening too em all.I do ask for yall options cause its how i learn.I just wounder ona dual band will they both be talking or just one.Im just asking so i can learn if yall dont mind

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
im talking about the radio just in case i wasnt clear i do that at time.I did hear you can take the test at the ham fest but id have too see when one is and how close it is too me .

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, i use a dual-band antenna on my ICOM IC-92AD and i get really good coverage with that, i also have a DVAP which also has a dual-band antenna on it, and i have really good range between the two, i can go almost a quarter mile and still make it back to the DVAP in my pad five floors above the street (that range gets even better at my folks` up north out in the sticks :)), so i personally like a dul-band antenna, i just like the better range i get with that. N9NRA

I've had no problem with multi-band radios. A couple of multi-band antennas have been disappointing.

At present, I use a Diamond NR770HB. It's half wave at 2m, and 5/8 over 5/8 on 70cm. VSWR 1:1 at center freq on both bands. It's not pretty, but It's a damn fine performer.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
im thank ful for the inoput it shows me what too look for and too know that dual band ant arent as bad as i thought but i guess its also were you live or am i wrong on that.when i finally get my ham lic. im gonna save up for eather an icom or akentwood dunno yet still compareing the 2 radios..I do need too ask witch do yall pefer talking on 2meters or 440 or 220 ect.Just trying too grasp whats what

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've owned, and still own several dual band mobiles, and handhelds.. And only 2 dual band antennas. The Larsen 2/70 and the Diamond SG-7900A

I've never had a problem with either antenna and I've had them on everything from Jeeps to Freightliners, and even a Shenke 150cc scooter..

LtDoc

Oops! My prior post was dealing with a mobile antenna, not one for an HT. I use a typical 2 meter 1/4 wave on an HT with a 'rat tail' added. 70 cm is a harmonic of 2 meters and it works just fine on 70 cm too. Not the absolute bestest, but it does well enough. (Doesn't harm the HT at all.)
- 'Doc

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
well its in genral area cause i want too get youall advice and learn about whats good aboutem and bad aboutem cause ibve heard on the scanner about the ups and down of usena dual band ant.I thank you for the input it helps me too know what too look for .:)

LtDoc

Just a word about HTs as 'starter' radios.
A typical HT is very limited in ability. It's usually much more difficult to program than a mobile or any 'larger' radio. Being small isn't much good except for convenience and portability.
The most limiting thing about any HT is the antenna. If you plan to use the thing at home and if you don't have at least one repeater near you, count on hot hearing much, and being heard even less.
I've known a number of people who have started with an HT and quickly found that it wasn't a real good idea (for the reasons above). Most of them 'up-graded' to something else as soon as they could.
Having said all that, I do have an HT. I very seldom use it if I don't have to. If there's a mopbile or fixed type radio available that would be my first choice. The primary reason I have one at all is that it's usable for other than amateur service. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have one at all. If you find that you do have a reason for an HT go for it!
- 'Doc

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Just a word about HTs as 'starter' radios.
A typical HT is very limited in ability. It's usually much more difficult to program than a mobile or any 'larger' radio. Being small isn't much good except for convenience and portability.
The most limiting thing about any HT is the antenna. If you plan to use the thing at home and if you don't have at least one repeater near you, count on hot hearing much, and being heard even less.
I've known a number of people who have started with an HT and quickly found that it wasn't a real good idea (for the reasons above). Most of them 'up-graded' to something else as soon as they could.
Having said all that, I do have an HT. I very seldom use it if I don't have to. If there's a mopbile or fixed type radio available that would be my first choice. The primary reason I have one at all is that it's usable for other than amateur service. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have one at all. If you find that you do have a reason for an HT go for it!
- 'Doc

I do agree. I bought an ht as my first item and I quickly realized I needed a base radio. I bought a Kenwood 281-A as my base and it got me on 2 meters much better than the ht. I went from being able to hit 5 repeaters marginally to having about 30 I can hit.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
Well there in lies my problem moneys tight atm.And from what ive seen base radios arent cheap.Pluse if im gonna puut my heart into being a ham witch im gonna i dont wanna buy cheap ive heard that advice over the radio many times when i listen too hams around here>As the saying goes you get what you pay forIf that makes senc.My 1st base station im gonna try saven up for eather an icom or kenwood both radios iver heard reaily good things about then ill get a dipole for the base station.If yall know of anything thats better please let me know.Being i still have too go take the test yet.Id hope i get the right stuff its why im on the forums asken advice and reading thru the forums.Im hopen that im thinking in the right direction if not please let me know Tyhhank you

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
just got the radio i ordered today now just gotta program it.Dont have the cabels juts need too readup on it see how well it receves.I wont transmitt til ive gotten my lic.its a dual band.

Attachments

• Picture 21.jpg
    Picture 21.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 640
  • Picture 22.jpg
    Picture 22.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 679

N8IAA

Well there in lies my problem moneys tight atm.And from what ive seen base radios arent cheap.Pluse if im gonna puut my heart into being a ham witch im gonna i dont wanna buy cheap ive heard that advice over the radio many times when i listen too hams around here>As the saying goes you get what you pay forIf that makes senc.My 1st base station im gonna try saven up for eather an icom or kenwood both radios iver heard reaily good things about then ill get a dipole for the base station.If yall know of anything thats better please let me know.Being i still have too go take the test yet.Id hope i get the right stuff its why im on the forums asken advice and reading thru the forums.Im hopen that im thinking in the right direction if not please let me know Tyhhank you

Just some quick thoughts for you.
Icom radios are overpriced. Period. If you are saving up for a dual band mobile for a base station, I'd go with the Yaesu FT-7900, or the Kenwood V71A. Hams can be opinionated about a lot of things:lol: Especially about radios. I started with a handheld radio and soon realized that a mobile was a better choice.
Do you really need a dual band radio to begin with? I would suggest that unless there is a lot of chatter on that band in your area, you can monitor that on the scanner, go with a 2m rig. I'm an going to suggest the Kenwood TM-281 as your starting rig. I'm guessing that you will be putting the antenna in the attic with the rest of your antenna farm. An inexpensive 2m 1/2 wave, or 5/8 wave mobile vertical antenna will serve you better than a dipole.
If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help you using the Private Message mode here on RR.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.