CQ Magazine Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR4BD

I have been a subscriber to CQ magazine for nearly 40 years. Lately, the magazine has been showing up very late or, not at all, despite having several years left on my subscription. I have heard that others are having a similar problem with the delivery of the magazine. I recently contacted CQ and was told that they are having problems with their printer.... In my case, I never got the June issue. The July issue showed up the first week of August. The August issue is still MIA despite CQ telling me they should be mailed around Aug 21. In the past, I always received these magazines two or three weeks before the cover date month. They do have a digital version which is "on schedule". On another radio board, it is being reported that CQ is still showing up on newsstands in a timely manner. CQ's sister publication POPULAR COMMUNICATIONS is also affected by this postal delivery problem... I am still waiting for the August issue. The June and July issues arrived well into the months AFTER their cover dates.

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the delivery of CQ and/or Popular Communications in recent months? I know they are printing them, but wonder if they are having difficulty paying the postage to mail them out? Maybe, they are planning to put everyone on "digital" subscriptions ????

Just curious.

mrscanner2008

Premium Subscriber
hi

I have been a subscriber to CQ magazine for 3 years and had the same problem, the last issue I received was April. In may they sent me the digital version and told me that they had problem with distributor in Canada. Never received June and July issue (both printed or digital) I contact them many times by email but never response. Finally after several email, I ask for a refund and received it.

I will never subscribe to CQ anymore.

KR4BD

Yes, they don't seem to respond to email, but they did respond to a written letter I sent via snail mail. They sent me the June issue of CQ via First Class mail in an envelope. I am still waiting for the August and September issues of BOTH CQ and Popular Communications. Early this summer I re-upped Pop-Comm for two more years, too. I know they got the payment (check was cashed). If they can't deliver the magazines via the mail, they should say so... I still prefer hard-copy magazines, especially radio-related ones.

k8krh

My issue is arriving 2 to 3 weeks late, also a friend subscription is the same, and he has to make a few phone calls to get his missed monthly issue.
DOCTOR/795

VE3JSO

i have heard from a few people in my radio club in sarnia saying that they were getting cq late or not at all but i have got my magazines from the local corner store before they got theres

mgolden2

Mine always comes about 2 weeks into the current month. Example, my October issue came halfway into October, and the same with November.

N0ZOJ Matt in Kansas City

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cabletech

This has been an on going problem for over 1.5 yrs. Unlike other pubs that arrive any where from 5 to 15 days BEFORE the month (Nov 15 for Dec), CQ and Popcomm have always been arriving any where from the 20th to 29th of the CURRENT month, (oct 28th for Oct).

I have been sending e-mails and snail mail to every staff member of the CQ group just about every month and over the course of this time I have had two returns on them, one saying "THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS, WE TAKE YOUR REMARKS SERIOUSLY" and the other was in June.

In June of the year, I recieved an email from one staffer that said that they had changed printers and that the pubs. would be going out "ON TIME" starting in Sept 2013.

This is now the end of Nov and I am still waiting on this months editions.

My thoughts at this point in time is that these two pubs should be the ones going out of businse instead of Moniting Times.

I do not think any one at CQ Pubs really cares.

WINNSBORO1

CQ magazine

I have also had late delivery problems with the digital bissues of CQ and Pop Comm. They responded quickly to my emails. It kept happening and I emailed the publisher and got a quick response. They have been having major problems with their distributor and changed distributors. Hope that takes care of the problem.

Last edited:

peterwo2e

I was a subscriber of CQ and 73, last but not least QST. A few others that I can’t remember at the moment. I hope is not the sign of the times for CQ.

KR4BD

The problem continues.... Never got the August issue of CQ. I had to write them to get the June issue. The July, September, October and November issues arrived a month late. Their other magazine, Popular Communications is also AWOL. I have not received the November issue as of today. And...Both magazines' December-dated issues have not arrived as of today.

k8krh

LATE

I never got the NOVEMBER POP COMM, CQ came a month late. A friend of mine calls monthly for his , they either send it or he gets an issue months behind....bet they are going all digital soon, I gave up.
DOCTOR

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I never got the NOVEMBER POP COMM, CQ came a month late. A friend of mine calls monthly for his , they either send it or he gets an issue months behind....bet they are going all digital soon, I gave up.
DOCTOR

I'm lucky a local grocery store carries Popular Communications every month.

bear780ks

The place I get my Radio stuff has: pop comm and I've see CQ as well but as for the issues I haven't closely to see what month they are.. the Magazine that took over MT's should be coming soon the PDF version of it, I got my DVD copy of Anthology 99 -- 2013 and it looks really great.. but i hope CQ doesn't go away like Scanning USA did that would be sad..

frankdrebbin

I did a search and came across a message on the ARRL site that CQ is going to merge Pop Comm and 2 other print mags into digital only format called CQ Plus and phase out print editions altogether beginning in Feb. 2014. Guess I'll cancel my remaining subscription to Pop Comm even though I haven't been receiving them.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The problem continues.... Never got the August issue of CQ. ... And...Both magazines' December-dated issues have not arrived as of today.
I went back through my stack of CQ magazine. I never got an August issue, either, and still haven't received the December issue. I tried calling their office yesterday and got a recording that they are closed for the holidays. :confused: :(

I did a search and came across a message on the ARRL site that CQ is going to merge Pop Comm and 2 other print mags into digital only format called CQ Plus and phase out print editions altogether beginning in Feb. 2014.

There's an on-going discussion of this announcement in this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...q-magazine-realignment-coming-feb-2014-a.html

AK9R

Super Moderator
Follow-up.

I called CQ Magazine's office this morning. Asked about the December issue. Was told it was just now going into the mail. Was given access to the digital version. Asked about the August issue I never received. Was told all their back issues were gone and was given access to the digital version. Asked about the Fall 2013 issue of CQ VHF that I haven't received. Was told it had been mailed and was given access to the digital version.

I think there's more here than meets the eye.

k8krh

CQ, POP COMM, VHF are digital as of February 1st, no more, I believe QST still prints, I bet that will not last much longer.
I receive 3 other magazines and have received notice, in fact today they are all going digital as of next month.

The printing costs and rising and publication companies can no longer handle the increase<sad>.
I myself do not care for the digital, hard to read screen after screen and to print , one would have to have a printer cartridge company<just imagine how many cartridges one would use>.

Sad facts on all of this.
DOCTOR

AK9R

Super Moderator
CQ, POP COMM, VHF are digital as of February 1st, no more...
I really wish that this misrepresentation of the facts would stop.

CQ magazine will remain a print publication. At least, for the time being. Go read the announcement from CQ yourself:

CQ Newsroom: CQ to Realign Publications, Launch New "CQ Plus" Digital Supplement

There is no mention that CQ magazine will no longer be printed.

There is more discussion here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...q-magazine-realignment-coming-feb-2014-a.html

k6cpo

The problems still persist. I haven't received my December issue yet and they are not responding to e-mails. My subscription expires in February and I, like a lot of others, am not going to renew. Unless they can get these problems resolved soon, they will cease to exist in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.