Did not surrender it

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I see that my original thread was closed... I agree that I should not surrender my license simply because I have felt at odds with the political statements I have heard from some hams. Wow I came across very negative with that post. I think that I was having a remarkably bad day that day. In any case it is best that I keep my license and contribute the best that I can to the hobby. And if the topic of politics comes around, say "uh huh", politely listen, then change the subject. We all have the constitutional right to share our opinions and that is what is terrific about our country. 73's

KF5YOF

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
We all have the constitutional right to share our opinions and that is what is terrific about our country.
Read carefully what the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
"Congress shall make no law...". Entities that are separate from the federal government are not necessarily bound by the 1st Amendment. In other words, Congress may not abridge your right to free speech in a public place, but the owner of a tavern or the owner of this forum may limit what you say in their places of business.

I'm not saying you've crossed any line here; you haven't. Just don't start believing that you have a right to free speech in this forum.

mancow

Database Admin
Good to hear you decided to keep it. Tune around some more and you are bound to find a place to hang out or just have fun seeing what contacts you can make. There are all different aspects to it that can be entertaining beyond the content of conversations.

wbswetnam

Read carefully what the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says:

"Congress shall make no law...". Entities that are separate from the federal government are not necessarily bound by the 1st Amendment. In other words, Congress may not abridge your right to free speech in a public place, but the owner of a tavern or the owner of this forum may limit what you say in their places of business.

I'm not saying you've crossed any line here; you haven't. Just don't start believing that you have a right to free speech in this forum.

Agreed, I used to be a public school teacher, and students / teachers / administrators could not say just anything they wished and get away with it. For example, students could not use profanities in the classroom, and teachers could not discuss religion except as a part of a history lesson. You cannot shout "Fire!" in a movie theater, similarly, the use of profane or defamatory speech is not protected under the 1st amendment. Your point is well taken and adhered to.

N0IU

You cannot shout "Fire!" in a movie theater...

I know this is waaaaaaay off topic, but...

For those of you who remember vinyl LP records, there is a space between the end of the last track and the label called the runout groove that is usually left blank except for some manufacturing-related code inscriptions. The Eagles (both together and separately) often used this area to display humorous messages or dedications. My favorite is on the Eagle's Live double album where on one side they wrote, "Is It Illegal to Yell "Movie" in a Firehouse?"

rapidcharger

You'd really love our QSO's here. We talk politics all day long on some of the local repeaters that allow such conversation. (repeaters are private property just like forums). The offer still stands to get you linked in somehow or another if you want. It looks like the bunch that said just to keep your opinions to yourself persuaded you just to keep it all bottled in.

LtDoc

Having been there, I can say that yelling 'Movie' in a fire house can be almost as bad as yelling 'fire' in a movie theater. You could still get trampled in the rush for good seats...
- 'Doc

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
OK, guys. :roll:

Let's try to keep the comments related to amateur radio.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Glad you kept your license. When I first got licensed back in 1991, I remember running into hams who point blank referred to me and some others has no brains hams because we came in through no code. Well, instead of getting annoyed, I studied, and I got my 5 WPM. I also reminded them that there were plenty of Extra class operators who operated like morons, and maybe this new blood might help the hobby. Well, after a couple of months, I made some really good friends in that club who took back their statements and realized we were an asset. Just about all of us who took the no code test went on to higher class licenses. My point? Don't let someone ruin your enjoyment.

wbswetnam

Glad you kept your license. When I first got licensed back in 1991, I remember running into hams who point blank referred to me and some others has no brains hams because we came in through no code. Well, instead of getting annoyed, I studied, and I got my 5 WPM. I also reminded them that there were plenty of Extra class operators who operated like morons, and maybe this new blood might help the hobby. Well, after a couple of months, I made some really good friends in that club who took back their statements and realized we were an asset. Just about all of us who took the no code test went on to higher class licenses. My point? Don't let someone ruin your enjoyment.

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually I would probably have become a ham a loooong time ago, were it not because of the code requirement. I felt that the code was a useful asset and skill for those who really wanted to use it, but was outdated technology and simply retained as a "hoop" to make new hams jump through because everyone before had had to jump through the same hoop. I am glad they finally did away with it entirely.

Now my biggest problem with amateur radio has become, "Where am I going to string that dipole???"

AgentCOPP1

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually I would probably have become a ham a loooong time ago, were it not because of the code requirement. I felt that the code was a useful asset and skill for those who really wanted to use it, but was outdated technology and simply retained as a "hoop" to make new hams jump through because everyone before had had to jump through the same hoop. I am glad they finally did away with it entirely.

Now my biggest problem with amateur radio has become, "Where am I going to string that dipole???"

Put it on your roof! Works good for 15 meters and up because it's about the recommended height above the ground (that is if you don't care about an absolutely perfect radiation pattern, but it'll get you on the air).

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Sound decision.
Do not back down from your beliefs, or the intelligent expression of them.

Ham radio IS a great service, and most hams are decent people.

I've encountered a few turds, but then- there are much less on the ham bands than I ever encounter driving around Atlanta.

Your world is what you choose to make of it. See you on the air!

peterwo2e

Certain topics are discourage in ham radio because of the diverse countries, people and believes a ham op will encounter. Religion and politics is a taboo conversation in ham radio. these topics will for sure cause disagreements and outburst.

wtp

opinions

they are like "people" , everybody has one.
like was said, just find or make a group that stays away from politics.

elk2370bruce

Glad to see that you've decided to keep (and use) your license. Your original problem is not all that unusual for newly minted operators, Yes, some hams can be, initially, clanish. It takes some patience with those sometimes cloisterd groups. Eyeball contacts at a ham club often remove that barrier. Most hams (especially those internationally) are willing to help you "earn your wings" through QSO's and making new friends. We all had to start sometime and most hams are nice people. Its a shame that your first exposure was a negative one but it does occur with some people.
Some are uncomfortable with the unknowns of a new guy but that does die away with your own friendly calls and inquiries for improved skills. GOTA (Get On The Air) and make new friends. Above all, relax and be yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.