RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 5:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default VHF/UHF contesting?

Anyone here into all bands of the VHF/UHF and up and contesting? I am starting back up again into radio from a 2 year hiatus. I want to get into 220, 900 and 1.2 and wondering during contest is there much activity in FM mode compared to SSB? Reason I am asking is it is easier to get FM rigs for 220, 900 and 1.2 than getting SSB.
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2013, 5:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here in the north east during contests, most activity especially on the bands you mentioned are SSB. When I contested , I slowly added transverters for bands like 222 and 900. I was using a Kenwood ts2000x which covred 4 bands out of the box.

You may talk some people into trying an fm contact, but it maybe on the weak dignal portion of the band, and their antennas will almost certainly be horizontally polarized.

Whatever your decsion , have fun!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-22-2013, 9:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8OSP View Post
Anyone here into all bands of the VHF/UHF and up and contesting? I am starting back up again into radio from a 2 year hiatus. I want to get into 220, 900 and 1.2 and wondering during contest is there much activity in FM mode compared to SSB? Reason I am asking is it is easier to get FM rigs for 220, 900 and 1.2 than getting SSB.
Most serious VHF/UHF'ers are going to be running transverters for those bands, using an HF rig as the IF.

Downeast Microwave, DB6NT and others sell ready-to-go units, so I don't know about FM being "easier"...cheaper, very likely
Old 11-22-2013, 9:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What's your grid square? If it's a good one, then they'll find a way to work 'ya on FM. =:^)

I was just listening to some K8GP audio, I miss VHF contesting!

June VHF 2012 « K8GP Grid Pirates Contest Group
Old 11-23-2013, 5:37 PM

The vast majority of VHF/UHF contesting is on SSB and CW. Without those modes, you'll miss out on 98% of the activity.
Old 11-23-2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
Downeast Microwave, DB6NT and others sell ready-to-go units, so I don't know about FM being "easier"...cheaper, very likely
Even the "ready to go" transverter modules will take considerable work being integrated into a working station. Virtually all contest work above 1200 is done with transverters, so there's a wealth of information how to get started. But buying a ready made transverter module isn't cheap. Building your own can be almost free, if you know where to shop.