RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
The Makers or Hackerspace is a good idea, as these groups seem to be what the hams were, 30+ years ago.
What they still are today, if you can find the right group.
Old 11-29-2013, 2:58 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
What they still are today, if you can find the right group.
MTG, believe it or not, at least half the folks here feel the same as you do, but just don't voice it as you have. I feel that way too-even in these forums sometimes, which is why I do a whole lot more reading in here than posting. Nothing against anyone here at all. ZZ0468 has some very smart advice in his posts in your thread-go back and re-read him. This guy, in my humble opinion, is one of the the top 5 smartest radio guys that I personally am aware of here (I read around a lot and base my conclusion on stuff he's contributed) and he could be, based on how much he knows, a condescending ball of arrogance like some of the dooshes you and I have run across, but instead is a good example of the hope that remains out there in ham land. Matter of fact, all the folks in your thread are as well just based on the empathy shown.
Too many of these ham guys become clikky because they feel their position in the radiocomm ranks, was achieved by hard work and long-gained knowledge, and a rookie's got to earn his way UP in like fashion. Guess what-nothing wrong with those ethics. But there oughta be a common thread of radio brotherhood running through the top guys all the way down to the grunts trying to work into it.
Just my own opinion.
I am just a lowly SWL nut with a couple scanners too-nothing but receivers in this place. I know my place. I've been spanked into silence by a couple old farts out there who were pro engineers in the radio field and I know how you feel. At least you know you aint the lone ranger bud
Far as you "projecting" negativity enough to scare off others-hey, you are who you are just like the rest of us. Everyone craps down the same pipes my friend. Don't let the ones who admire themselves a bit too much relegate you to a corner. Stay in it and like ZZ says, put some elbow grease into it and add your own stuff to the hobby.
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75; on the PAR to 45' n-s wire @45'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Old 11-29-2013, 6:56 PM

When I started this thread last night, I came back a couple hours later and was going to delete it if nobody had posted to it yet. It pretty much ran the course I expected it would. And I appreciate the input from all.

And it boils down to what I originally wanted to do, get involved with emergency comms, for reasons I have no control over didn't happen. And with my health taking a turn for the worse, I couldn't now even it there was an opening to me.

And on the strictly local repeater and/or VHF side, just checking in to nets where I'm just politely greeted.. But not really part of the group as a whole. That's isn't much more then doing a monologue, or at least that's how it feels some times.

Bottom line is, I'm not enjoying the hobby, or I won't have posted this to start with. And yes I had similar post a few years back, and I have tried to stick it out hoping to find a good fit. Guess I'm just a square peg trying to fit a round hole.

So I''ll just go on to other hobbies, spend more time with my model trains, electronics, and so on. Use my VHF radio as a scanner till I can afford a nice digital trunking scanner an just listen to stuff. Mite keep the HF a while and just do digital modes like JT65. Maybe mess around with echolink a bit too..

On the CB side of things. a while back, after a few years of hunting, I was able to find the same CB (it's not a very common radio) as I had in my teens and bought it, paid a bit much for it as it's not perfectly working and a few cosmetic issues, but it still looks good on my desk, and happy to have it even if I don't plan to really get on the air with it. Maybe I'll just collect old CBs as money permits, and nice reminder of when the world seemed to make more scene to me.

If there's a moderator handy and reading this, I ask the you lock or delete this thread completely and let it die quickly.
Old 11-29-2013, 8:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm sorry man really but I say don't quit. If I ever get on HF I would talk to just for the sake of a QSO. Like others stated tune around you will find other people to talk to.
Uniden 536HP
Old 11-29-2013, 8:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It sounds like you have already made up your mind as far as amateur radio is concerned so I am not going to do anything to try and convince you otherwise.

But its funny...

A couple of years ago I got back into model railroading. It was never my intention to build exact scale replicas of real-life rail scenes. I just wanted to set up some basic layouts with some buildings and some scenery and watch the trains go around the tracks. So I saw that a fairly large model railroad show was coming to my area and my wife and I went to shop around and get some ideas for our own layouts.

My wife (also a ham) has been to Dayton with me and also to some local hamfests and at least she found some of them to be willing to talk to her, but at the one and only model railroad show we have been to, we found that to be the most rude, anti-social and unfriendly gathering we had ever been to and we vowed to never go back... ever! It was hard enough to get anyone to talk to me, but no one even acknowledged her presence.

Any you though that amateur radio was a male-dominated sexist hobby! It doesn't even come close to model railroading.

I am still involved in model railroading, but to a much lesser extant than amateur radio. There is one genuine hobby store not too far from me with a fairly decent selection so I split my money between them and online sources, but never again will I waste my time at a train show.

The bottom line is that I haven't given up on a hobby that brings me pleasure and enjoyment just because of my experience at the train show.
Old 11-29-2013, 8:35 PM

"As for CB, there is nothing to be ashamed of with that radio service!"

Damn straight! Same with FRS, GMRS and MURS.

"One of the friendliest places I've used personally is a FRS/PMR446 ROIP system that is popular in Europe and people come pop in from all over the world and want to talk. All it requires is a $9 FRS radio and some basic line in cables and free software. Either way, you can do that and ham both. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Likewise you can get on 27mhz."

The HAM bands are where all the whackers and cranky old 55+ male WASP elitists congregate when they want to whine at length about their health problems, the President, their crappy antenna systems, how stupid they think no-code is, etc. CB-type services are where people of any age, ethnicity or background go when they actually have something to talk about (and aren't afraid to do so.)

We're kind of in the same boat, ModelTrainGeek, you and I. Things aren't much better on HAM radio down here, either, or I'd probably still be in it myself. Trust me, there's a LOT of fun to be had with the part-95 services (or whatever the equivalent is in Canada) and I know people who do nothing but. If you're in an urban area, kick up the power on your FRS some night (I think you guys can run up to two watts on that service, if I recall correctly), tune around, announce your presence on various channels. You'll probably encounter some other night-owl who's out there monitoring and interested in a good ragchew. That's what I've done.

Last edited by Darth_vader; 11-29-2013 at 9:04 PM..
Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0IU View Post
It sounds like you have already made up your mind as far as amateur radio is concerned so I am not going to do anything to try and convince you otherwise.

But its funny...

A couple of years ago I got back into model railroading. It was never my intention to build exact scale replicas of real-life rail scenes. I just wanted to set up some basic layouts with some buildings and some scenery and watch the trains go around the tracks. So I saw that a fairly large model railroad show was coming to my area and my wife and I went to shop around and get some ideas for our own layouts.

My wife (also a ham) has been to Dayton with me and also to some local hamfests and at least she found some of them to be willing to talk to her, but at the one and only model railroad show we have been to, we found that to be the most rude, anti-social and unfriendly gathering we had ever been to and we vowed to never go back... ever! It was hard enough to get anyone to talk to me, but no one even acknowledged her presence.

Any you though that amateur radio was a male-dominated sexist hobby! It doesn't even come close to model railroading.

I am still involved in model railroading, but to a much lesser extant than amateur radio. There is one genuine hobby store not too far from me with a fairly decent selection so I split my money between them and online sources, but never again will I waste my time at a train show.

The bottom line is that I haven't given up on a hobby that brings me pleasure and enjoyment just because of my experience at the train show.
I guess it just luck of the draw where you are what experience you get.
About7 years ago I went to the local N-scale (I model N-scale btw) club's open house.. Only two on the newer members where there and I asked about the turn out and they said the the older members don't want to be bothered with open houses. I never went back..
On the other hand, about 5 years ago I was doing security over night for a near by town's fair and seen they had a permanent building with a big HO layout inside, which I peeked in the windows of a number of time though the night. In the morning I ran it to what turned out to be one of the big shots at the club (and the fair) and told him I was snooping in the windows.. So he turned around, walked back to his house a few blocks away to get the key to the train room and took me in and showed me the layout in detail. Great experience. I did security at the same fair the next year. and went in when I seem some of the other member open up that train room and talked to them. Sadly, the fellow I had met the year before had died of cancer a few months before. But I talked with the member that were there a bit before finishing up my shift and going home. So two totally different experiences with two different train clubs..

So maybe if I ever move to a different area, I might give local ham stuff a try again..
Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterodyne View Post
You're only discovering what many of us have already known.

The majority of those involved in amateur radio are old men who aren't interested in meeting new people or getting to know new hams. They aren't interested in new technology, new innovations or new ideas. They ignore voices or callsigns they don't recognize.
Really??? I have been into ham radio for a 1 1/2 now and never really had a problem all the ham radio operators that i have encountered on hf and vhf/uhf has been very good and understanding with me even in hf contests that i entered this year and helped me get a better understanding with the hobby and how to improve my shack. Sure there are one or two bad apples in the group not the majority and for the person that did the first post there is a net on hf called the night watch net around 7.190mhz that meets every night 6-9 est canada i think and they are really great bunch
Old 11-30-2013, 5:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelTrainGeek View Post
I guess it just luck of the draw where you are what experience you get.
In your own words, that us exactly the point we are trying to make!

You have already had quite a bit of success with HF digital modes so why not continue to explore that aspect of amateur radio? There are plenty of other digital modes that can work quite well with low power. PSK31, for one, comes to mind. It moves a lot quicker than the JT modes since you are basically typing in real time.

As far as living in an apartment, I know antennas can be a real challenge. Here is what I used for a little while a long time ago. Yes, those are slinkies! It is far from ideal but I would think it would work better than a random wire off your balcony!
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2013, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0IU View Post
In your own words, that us exactly the point we are trying to make!

You have already had quite a bit of success with HF digital modes so why not continue to explore that aspect of amateur radio? There are plenty of other digital modes that can work quite well with low power. PSK31, for one, comes to mind. It moves a lot quicker than the JT modes since you are basically typing in real time.

As far as living in an apartment, I know antennas can be a real challenge. Here is what I used for a little while a long time ago. Yes, those are slinkies! It is far from ideal but I would think it would work better than a random wire off your balcony!
I haven't tried slinkies, did try doing indoor dipole a few times with poor results. This building is mid 60s vintage, steel roof with steel I beams, the outside of the building is covered in, steel sheet siding, plaster walls over metal mesh, the ceiling is a suspended panel type like you'd see in an office with, yes, metal supports, and it's all ground, basically I'm in a giant tin can.. On the balcony, yes, it's all solid metal panels, so I put the wire from the top outer corners side to side cut for the best SWR I could get, which is still up around 3:1 which I blame the proximity of all the grounded metal, but the auto tuner can match it down. I have wires for 20 and 15 meters and a 40 meter hamstick above my satellite dish (one of the advantages of being on the top floor). I've asked about getting on the roof.. not going to happen.. but I guess I'm lucky the apt manager hasn't said anything about the antenna, but then again there's a lot of balcony was junk on then, even bikes hanging over the rails.. So my antennas aren't that bad looking. And I've worked a number of VK's and USSR contacts. Although it seems the building acts a bit directional is seems. and when I look up on pskifno where my signal is going it's always an arc shape across the SW US states more then anything else. my apt faces SW...

I've been reluctant to do psk31 since my typing speed spelling is not good on the fly, it can be a dyslectic mess partly to do a concussion I have several years ago.. I usually have to proof read stuff at least 3 times before I send it to catch what spell checking misses..
Old 11-30-2013, 8:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelTrainGeek View Post
I've been reluctant to do psk31 since my typing speed spelling is not good on the fly, it can be a dyslectic mess partly to do a concussion I have several years ago.. I usually have to proof read stuff at least 3 times before I send it to catch what spell checking misses..
Ah but this is where macros can be very handy! Yes, there are those that complain that no one wants to engage in a real "rag chew" any more and just wants to swap macros, but if that's what you can handle, then so be it. When working DX, most of them aren't interested in anything more than just exchanging the basic information anyway.They are at just as much of a language deficit as you are. By using macros, no one is the wiser.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Model Train Guy - if you are near Toronto, try VE3JOP - 443.775+ (PL - 103.5). The guys on that machine are very accepting, especially owner, VA3KY. Give it a try.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a thought, have you thought of stopping by a Field Day site in June to meet some new people? Heck, if you can find more than one, check out others too. Just hob nob with a different crowd, you might find one that you fit in with. As far as the emergency end of it, do they have severe weather spotter classes in your area? That might be something of interest to you. Lastly, of course, you're always welcome here!
Old 11-30-2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
Just a thought, have you thought of stopping by a Field Day site in June to meet some new people? Heck, if you can find more than one, check out others too. Just hob nob with a different crowd, you might find one that you fit in with. As far as the emergency end of it, do they have severe weather spotter classes in your area? That might be something of interest to you. Lastly, of course, you're always welcome here!
I've been to the local field day a few times, didn't go this year though. Problems is, it's all basically the same people that run the local club, ares, canwarn, field day... I though about driving to the next city an hour away but neither me nor my car was really up to the drive..

I've wanted to do the canwarn (seems silly they don't call it skywarn like in the US..) training but it's only one day a year around hear, and i've always been either working or sick.. I guess I picked the wrong area from me to become a ham in..
Old 11-30-2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6E0 View Post
Model Train Guy - if you are near Toronto, try VE3JOP - 443.775+ (PL - 103.5). The guys on that machine are very accepting, especially owner, VA3KY. Give it a try.

Cheers
I haven't been in the GTA since I had my license, although I did live in Toronto about 10 years or so.. There's been a few time when the 2m band was open that I've been able to reach repeaters down in Cleveland, tends to surprise them hearing a VE3 checking in to one of their nets

I've omitted saying my callsign so far, but was just thinking, if in the unlikely event anybody local is reading this, and has paid -any- attention to me talking on air would probably have figure out who it is.

There's only been a couple people local that matter to me, one is a retire train engineer, haven't talked to him for some time now, but when we have talked it's hardly ever been radio related (more often trains)

so...
VE3KNT
Sponsored links

Old 11-30-2013, 3:37 PM

Default thinking about hang up ham radio for good..

That wouldn't be Al AGX would it?
Old 11-30-2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6E0 View Post
That wouldn't be Al AGX would it?
No AGX around London that I know of..
Old 11-30-2013, 4:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ModelTrainGeek, I understand your pain about feeling like you don't fit in with ham radio. I made a post (which I now regret) about possibly returning my license to the FCC a couple of months back. It was right after I had attended a local meeting of hams and several members made some extremely politically biased / racist statements during the meeting. I am politically liberal myself and I didn't enjoy them referring to Democrats as "lib-tards" and our President as the "HNIC" (Google the term if you don't know what it means). In the end though I decided it would be best to keep my license and give ham radio my best effort.

I have my General license now and I plan to get an HF rig soon. I speak Spanish quite well and I can get by in Portuguese too so I plan to make friends with hams in Central / South America. I also imagine that I can find some hams in the USA that I can enjoy chatting with. Anyway I encourage you, too, to keep with the hobby. We'll find a place for ourselves I'm sure. 73s... KF5YOF
Old 11-30-2013, 5:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've found that the majority of the hams I've met (talk to, interacted with) to be self-absorbed, overly pendantic and basically just people I would never even stoop to associating with outside of this hobby. There's exceptions to this and I've met a few hams who are great folks, kind and more than happy to help you out if you need it. Hell the hams that administered my exam came to my home (some 30 miles away from their normal QTH) to get me licensed after I had surgery. I've found the HF bands (particularly digital modes) to be friendly places to hang out at. I've also found that the *DODROPIN* on Echonet to be generally full of great folks (try the Breakfast club). If you'd like to find some great communities online shoot me a PM I'd be happy to direct you to some.

regards
Old 11-30-2013, 6:18 PM

It's a shame you do not live in South Florida great PPL and a great club that i'm a hang around with (ie) not a member. Just like anything else keep at it and you will find the great bunch of PPL that help and give each others ideas. Just something to ponder.

Keep at it we need younger hams or the the hobby will disappear.