RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was in my house in 2005, while hurricane Wilma tore the roof off, and pretty much destroyed everything inside. I only had a very short time to keep my precious electronics safe and dry. Most of my stuff at the time was hand held equipment. I was unable to salvage the boxes and many accessories: The major scanners/transeivers didn't do too badly with multiple plastic garbage bags around them.

My girlfriend was at her Moms' house. My wallet was in my back pocket. The important papers were in the bank vault.
Everything else was destroyed.

All in all, it was quite an experience.
Old 01-23-2014, 5:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayne View Post
Excellent answer IMHO, as the first thing anyone needs to know (decide) is are they bugging out to save themselves or their stuff.

One thing I have done is to replace the 2 12 AH lead acid batteries in my bug out box with 2 of the 12V7 Li-on Batteries--Juice out the ying yang and much easier for this old guy to lug around

(My wife cannot find out what those 2 batteries cost tho)
Do you need a price or sources for li-ion or lifepo4 batteries?
Here ya go,

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-...thout-PCM.aspx

http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/lit...FcyY4Aodk3sAiA

n9zas

Last edited by gewecke; 01-23-2014 at 5:22 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 11:47 AM

I think the same way you do, Ramal. I want to get all the same stuff together, but getting my basic qualification is the first step. It looks like Yaesu beats Icom for mobile. The FT-857 was recommended above, but you have the FT-897. I'm sure the 897 is better in a vehicle. Would you carry it around instead of the 857, or is it less practical? I'm not a minimalist, but sometimes reality bites me down to size, and I can't argue. I figure, if I'm going to spend $950 for something that's important to me, I may as well spend the extra $150 to get something really worthwhile. I see the $950 as a waste then.

I haven't bought a sac yet, or a backpack, so I need some guidance on that. I'm referring to what gewecke said at the top. I can't wait to join the local club and go through this in person.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM

I'll add a few more comments on my FT-857 recommendation. For purely mobile use I prefer the Icom 705MKIIG over the FT-857 because the noise blanker, audio DSP noise reduction and transmit audio is better on the Icom.

For battery portable use or a transitional radio between mobile and portable I think the FT-857 is a good choice. I had a Yaesu FT-897 before I got the 857 and I found it great for base station use but its way too heavy for portable use and way too big for mobile use, except for occasionally tossing on the passenger seat.

When equipped with the internal AC power supply the 897 does make a great grab and go radio, otherwise its the exact same radio inside as an 857 and you can equip an 857 with small power supply or batteries that are superior and cheaper than what Yaesu offers for the 897 and it will be smaller and lighter than the 897.

I think I sold my FT-897 for $750 including the matching LDG antenna tuner bolted to the side, a couple of internal batteries and the Yaesu battery charger. My FT-857 was $400 used in perfect shape, so there are lots of good used radios out there for less than your budget of $950. Don't forget a tuner for HF, that's an entire topic in itself.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniels7 View Post
I think the same way you do, Ramal. I want to get all the same stuff together, but getting my basic qualification is the first step. It looks like Yaesu beats Icom for mobile. The FT-857 was recommended above, but you have the FT-897. I'm sure the 897 is better in a vehicle. Would you carry it around instead of the 857, or is it less practical? I'm not a minimalist, but sometimes reality bites me down to size, and I can't argue. I figure, if I'm going to spend $950 for something that's important to me, I may as well spend the extra $150 to get something really worthwhile. I see the $950 as a waste then.

I haven't bought a sac yet, or a backpack, so I need some guidance on that. I'm referring to what gewecke said at the top. I can't wait to join the local club and go through this in person.
Old 01-23-2014, 2:45 PM

My setup is lightweight enough that I could unpack everything in half an hour to an hour. I've got a TS-430, a power supply, SWR/watt meter, remote antenna tuner and controller, 250 feet of coax that can be easily removed and my vertical which can just pop out of the ground. Wouldn't take that much time at all. I've also got a mobile rig so I can make local contacts that way.
Old 04-04-2014, 8:21 PM

A) I'm not going anywhere. B) If I were I think HF is important. If the spaghetti hits the fan you will be needing to monitor things going on all over and not chit chatting with a few locals. C) When Lot was leaving Sodom he said to his wife "isn't that your mom behind us" and look what happened.