Ham in the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleonard

Does anyone know anything about hamfests/hamventions here in the Philippines? I want to find out if used ham equipment is sold here at hamfests like in the US. I know it is illegal to own any rig without the license to do so. Over here the rig is licensed and the ham holds a certificate and you cannot own or buy a rig without both. I just cannot get any answers over here from hams on this, everyone clams up like its against the law even to talk about it. I do know that once you have passed your tests you are referred to a dealer for ham equipment. There are no such things here as radio shops, not even radio shacks with equipment to sell. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave, former KD4HOL

daveleonard

Thanks for the info but I can't even get PARA to answer a question about clubs close to me, I know they won't answer a question about equipment. I don't understand the culture here and I've been here 11 years. They are very closed mouth. I guess I'll have to wait until after I get my license. Thanks a lot. 73's

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info but I can't even get PARA to answer a question about clubs close to me, I know they won't answer a question about equipment. I don't understand the culture here and I've been here 11 years. They are very closed mouth. I guess I'll have to wait until after I get my license. Thanks a lot. 73's

Yeah that might make all the difference in the world with those guys. They might be tight lipped since they think you might make illegal transmissions with it for some reason. Come back when you have your license and they might change their tune.

At any rate, at least the Philippines lets you have a radio license as restricted as it is. Are police scanners legal there?

daveleonard

Yes Pinballwiz I think you are right especially when I look at it from their point of view. They have many transceivers out there that are not legal but they do not have the man-power, equipment or money to do anything about it. That is why they recently offered an amnesty for those illegal machines. Those of us who do want to do things legally must go along with the program. A technician here has the frequencies: 40 meters-7.0 to 7.1, 15 meters-21.000 to 21.450, 10 meters-28,000 to 29,700 and 2 meter is 144.000 to 146.000.
I don't know if scanners are illegal or not but good luck buying one here since there are no radio stores here. Its not like the States where we can run down to Radio Shack and pick up a machine or coax or pl-259's for that matter. I don't know what would happen if you tried to import one or bring it in inside luggage but I know you would get no where if you tried to bring in an HF Transceiver without a license or certificate. Its always best to follow the law so that's what I intend to do.

questnz

I travel to Mindanao in the Philippines 2-3 times a year via Manila. Always with the scanner in carry luggage. Only once when boarding domestic flight they asked me what it is and after told them that it is a "radio scanner and you cant talk to anyone on it" they let me go. There is not much to listen to anyway even police in Mindanao don't use radios !? Some radio traffic can be picked up in Manila but most in Tagalog not English. Except airports traffic in transits scanner was not much use to me other ways.

daveleonard

Ya questnz that's one reason I never got a scanner because I don't speak Tagalog or Cebruano or any of the ethnic languages. I have kinda of disregarded 2 Meter on that account also. I just want to get on HF as soon as I can.

wbswetnam

If you're thinking of travelling with a police scanner, just be careful not only of your destination country but also any countries you transit through. If you transit though Dubai UAE and you get caught with a radio scanner (ALL incoming passengers' - including transit passengers' - carry-on luggage is x-rayed as soon as they step off the airplane), you can say goodbye to the world you know for four years.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If you're thinking of travelling with a police scanner, just be careful not only of your destination country but also any countries you transit through. If you transit though Dubai UAE and you get caught with a radio scanner (ALL incoming passengers' - including transit passengers' - carry-on luggage is x-rayed as soon as they step off the airplane), you can say goodbye to the world you know for four years.

Well I guess they wouldn't like my bottle of scotch and can of pig's feet either? What a backwards country/region. I'm proud USA isn't ruled by religion.

questnz

Barbaric ! I am frequent traveler and the one of the scanners (346XT) goes with me on ALL travels. I even have a scanner in Singapore where they totally banned. Last year I traveled or went thru few airports and only once (Amsterdam) they ask what is it after x-ray. Auckland, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Copenhagen and all the way back the same route except (Manila), only once I was questioned! . Maybe my luck will run out one of these days. Obvious this different from country to country. Not sure I would take scanner via Middle East. Few years ago in Brisbane (transit) they check the scanner in my hand luggage (VR-500) they let me go but insist I remove the batteries, yet they took my wife's Duty Free perfumes pack and whiskey from guy in front of me, go figure.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Philippine amatuer operators in Angeles City

Any of use guys ever head out to Angeles City?

k8krh

Only AMERICANS I ever talked to in MANILA was on CQ100 or HAMSPHERE, , it was to restrictive unless you were a citizen there and they were not.
DOCTOR/795

subwoof

Premium Subscriber
I was in the Philippines. And it is much MUCH more lax then here in america. You dont need fishing permits. You can buy a gun in the mall at Santa Lucia, if you so desire. Prostitution is more adamant, for example the SOHO hotel smack dab in cainta rizal, a mile away from Manila. I dont see why it would be so difficult. You should try olx.com or sulit.

Status
Not open for further replies.