RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 2:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default My final paper: Ham Radio Helping Communities

I was asked to write a final paper for my University of Phoenix Class on a topic that I was passionate about. I thought that how Ham Radio helps communities would be a good paper as wells help others understand a little more about what makes Hamís so passionate about the topic. I received an A on the paper and in the class and thought I would share with the community. The interesting part of the paper is that two of the people in the class were doing some disaster planning as they lived on the West Coast and they are getting more and more worried about earthquakes. My teacher is now going to get his license and I send the other person more information about the process. Add a Ham a year is my goal.

Here is the full post:

Ham Radio Helping Communities | NickToday Blog
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2014, 4:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Excellent paper and glad that you were able to introduce the hobby to a few new folks and educate the others on what amateur radio is all about!

The only thing that I feel could have added to the paper was an explanation that EmComm is only one aspect of amateur radio. There are many of us (like myself) that have no interest in EmComm and got into the hobby to communicate with others over the radio and to explore the technical side of RF communications. All too often the EmComm card is played when describing amateur radio. But in the context of your topic of "ham radio helping communities", the EmComm part of the hobby was an excellent point to be made.

Kudos and congrats on getting an A!
Old 04-18-2014, 5:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB4CS View Post
Excellent paper and glad that you were able to introduce the hobby to a few new folks and educate the others on what amateur radio is all about!

The only thing that I feel could have added to the paper was an explanation that EmComm is only one aspect of amateur radio. There are many of us (like myself) that have no interest in EmComm and got into the hobby to communicate with others over the radio and to explore the technical side of RF communications. All too often the EmComm card is played when describing amateur radio. But in the context of your topic of "ham radio helping communities", the EmComm part of the hobby was an excellent point to be made.

Kudos and congrats on getting an A!
Yes, of course EmComm is only one aspect - I had to pick a topic for the paper and I felt that this would be the most impact for the audience.
Old 04-18-2014, 5:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well done, sir, and congratulations.

Russell

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Old 04-18-2014, 6:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ic View Post
I was asked to write a final paper for my University of Phoenix Class on a topic that I was passionate about. I thought that how Ham Radio helps communities would be a good paper as wells help others understand a little more about what makes Hamís so passionate about the topic. I received an A on the paper and in the class and thought I would share with the community. The interesting part of the paper is that two of the people in the class were doing some disaster planning as they lived on the West Coast and they are getting more and more worried about earthquakes. My teacher is now going to get his license and I send the other person more information about the process. Add a Ham a year is my goal.

Here is the full post:

Ham Radio Helping Communities | NickToday Blog
I went to UOP too and what a nice paper. Read it. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2014, 1:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wow! it is so good to read articles such as Nicks! I also graduated from UOP as well in 2003. Some guys from the MARS station at Lowry AFB in Denver kept after me and helped me get my Novice ticket back in 1976. Here in Rome,GA we have support from many areas, including the City and County Emergency Management Office, Pubic Health and the two may hospitals. They purchased identical Kenwood TS-480SATs and ICOM ID-880H D-Star radios for all three radio rooms. Our club is bless to be included in all areas. Most of the supervisors have or are working on their license. Due to the efforts of the EMA office we added 10 no hams just last month. It is a GREAT hobby that transitions into working and needed addition during the times of need! 73 Keith ka5qfi
Old 04-19-2014, 5:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good job OP!
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R