RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation Intruder Alert

Some courthouses in New York State are using wireless microphone systems that transmit continuously on 145.800 MHz in the 2 meter ham band. This is a space downlink frequency.

I have positively identified Clifton Park in Saratoga County. There is also a transmitter in downtown Albany, but I'm not sure which of the various courts in the vicinity is using it.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM

Is this worthy of a notification to the FCC of out-of-band use of amateur radio?
Other data that nobody cares about.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:05 PM

On the other hand, I'm sure the news media would love to have live audio feeds directly out of the court rooms.

Seems like someone screwed this one up. I'm sure a gentle reminder to the courts that they are afoul of the FCC rules would resolve this easily.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While I know this is the WRONG thing to do, I can't help but be a little facetious.

I imagine if you and another ham friend park in front of the courthouse and have a nice long QSO on 145.800 running about 50 Watts would get their attention
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 PM

Default INTRUDER ALERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB4CS View Post
While I know this is the WRONG thing to do, I can't help but be a little facetious.

I imagine if you and another ham friend park in front of the courthouse and have a nice long QSO on 145.800 running about 50 Watts would get their attention

It sure would get their attention! Probably come out and tell you it is 'their' frequency and that you need to change! Ahhh the fun to be had at their expense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by kayn1n32008; 06-20-2014 at 2:09 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Some courthouses in New York State are using wireless microphone systems that transmit continuously on 145.800 MHz in the 2 meter ham band. This is a space downlink frequency.

I have positively identified Clifton Park in Saratoga County. There is also a transmitter in downtown Albany, but I'm not sure which of the various courts in the vicinity is using it.
how do you know its not a bug Maybe they need to send someone with a Scanlock to find it.

Sounds a bit odd for the FCC to approve a wireless mike that transmits on that frequency.
Old 06-21-2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs2001 View Post
Sounds a bit odd for the FCC to approve a wireless mike that transmits on that frequency.
There are scads of wireless devices that are not only unauthorized, they are specifically prohibited by the FCC, yet people buy them and use them.
Old 06-22-2014, 1:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

These devices are probably being operated under the (wrong) assumption that they are legal under Part 15. Most hams would not interfere with them - thus making the courthouse people aware of the frequency conflict - because the frequency in question is a space downlink and we ground-based operators are not supposed to transmit there.

Nobody can get a license or approval from the FCC to use amateur frequencies anonymously - especially in the most popular ham band - without a ham license. Not even government entities.
Old 06-22-2014, 6:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default INTRUDER ALERT

Whomever set the equipment up most probably wasn't thinking about the legality of the issue at all, imho. They were just asked to find an inexpensive wireless mic to set up by a superior of some sort, they went online and bought one. I think very few folks, outside of radio industry professionals and (hopefully) most hams, are aware that there are even any rules about rf devices at all!!

But that sure would be some fun monitoring!!

Old 06-22-2014, 9:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's actually very common. I drive past churches that are broadcasting on 145.8 all the time.. Usually lasts a second or two as I drive by, and then disappears.
Old 06-23-2014, 2:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My guess is that it is a harmonic. Lots of wireless mics sold are on 72.9 MHz, or 145.8 / 2.
Old 06-23-2014, 2:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA4TX View Post
My guess is that it is a harmonic. Lots of wireless mics sold are on 72.9 MHz, or 145.8 / 2.
Exactly what I was thinking. I can't imagine any manufacturer mass producing wireless mic equipment to transmit on a amateur frequency, only to have the stuff come back to bite them. I have no doubt it's a 2nd harmonic.

n9zas
Old 06-25-2014, 1:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is an interesting suggestion and I will check the possible fundamental next time I have a chance.

However, if their RF field strength on the harmonic is excessive, then they are still "intruding" into a band where they have no operating authority.
Old 06-25-2014, 3:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
That is an interesting suggestion and I will check the possible fundamental next time I have a chance.

However, if their RF field strength on the harmonic is excessive, then they are still "intruding" into a band where they have no operating authority.
I wonder when Baofang started making wireless microphones?
Old 06-27-2014, 9:05 PM

Under 100 Milliwatts?
Sponsored links