Solar Flares and Radio Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewetstone

Would like to know how a major solar flare hitting Earth would affect the internals of a modern ham radio.

Would it be fried like other electronic communications?

I own a Yaesu VX-6R hand held.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Would like to know how a major solar flare hitting Earth would affect the internals of a modern ham radio.

Would it be fried like other electronic communications?

I own a Yaesu VX-6R hand held.

First, this is based on reading and home study. If a real scientist or engineer contradicts me, believe them.

A "solar flare" does not "hit the earth". The electromagnetic radiation from a solar flare (mostly X rays and Ultraviolet light) reaches the Earth in about eight minutes and if it is ionizing radiation it may change the state of the ionization of the layers of the ionosphere to cause fairly short lived radio "blackouts" on the sunlit side of the Earth. These effects last at most a few hours.

The energy from the flare may cause parts of the Sun's outer atmosphere (the Corona) to detach and be flung into space. This are known as Coronal Mass Ejections (CME). They take from a few hours to a few days to reach the orbit of the Earth and, if the Earth happens to be where they arrive they cause many effects. It's not the flare that hits the Earth it's the CME.

A CME is an ejected chunk of the Sun's corona, and as such it consists of both electrons and atomic nuclei which have become disassociated and form a state of matter called a "plasma". A chunk of plasma is both electrically and magnetically charged. The Earth has a magnetic field of it's own. When the magnetic fields of the plasma reach the magnetic field of the Earth what happens depends upon how the fields are aligned. As we know, unlike magnetic poles attract and like ones repel.

If the poles of the CME are lined up so that it's magnetic fields are of the same polarity as the bit of Earth's magnetic fields it meets, then the fields will repel and it will largely be diverted around the Earth and have little effect.

If opposite poles are aligned then the two fields will merge and many nuclei will rain down on the near vicinity of the Earth, causing a "radiation storm". If the magnetic fields of the CME are strong enough and the CME is moving fast enough this will cause the Earth's own magnetic field to be distorted and even to "ring" like a bell. Long wires near the Earth's surface may then have electric currents induced in them by the moving magnetic field and electrical components connected to wires may be at risk from excess current.

The CME events that will cause real problems on Earth are, fortunately rare. The main risk from a big impact will be to the electrical power structure since many of the transformers in use today are not able to carry the kind of current that might be induced by a really big event. Many power companies are, however, gradually replacing the old transformers with more robust ones.

If your radio is turned off during the storm chances are good that it will not be harmed, although if you know a big one is coming it might be a good idea to disconnect the antennas. Electrical equipment that is turned off and kept inside a metal box that forms an effective Faraday cage will be unharmed.

None of the flares observed in the last week or so are anything like strong enough to have such effects. Even though sunspot region 2182 is the largest observed in a quarter century and has produced may medium flares and at least six strong ones, none of them were associated with a CME and so the main effects are limited to fairly short radio blackouts caused by disruptions in the Ionosphere.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Ed, that is a very good explanation. I monitor spaceweather.com & spaceweatherlive.com almost daily now. They provide a pretty good explanation of what is going on up there. I believe the major sunspot that just left is due to return in 2 weeks or so. It could get interesting again soon.

Personally, I am tired of unhooking my radio equipment and wrapping in aluminum foil every other month. I need to break down & build a faraday cage.😊

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
The large sunspot group that just rotated out of site behind the Western limb was number 2192, not 2182 as I said. We can't predict how long a sunspot group will last. If this one survives it will be back in about 13 days.

ewetstone

so..the answer to my question is a YES. The solar magnetic radiation can screw up the internals of a modern ham radio and it important to unplug and shield in some type of metal box?

What happens to ham communications in general assuming there are still many ham radios around that were not damaged by an incident stemming from the sun.

Would frequencies still operate in the same manner? Lots of interference?

Last edited:

ewetstone

Ed, that is a very good explanation. I monitor spaceweather.com & spaceweatherlive.com almost daily now. They provide a pretty good explanation of what is going on up there. I believe the major sunspot that just left is due to return in 2 weeks or so. It could get interesting again soon.

Personally, I am tired of unhooking my radio equipment and wrapping in aluminum foil every other month. I need to break down & build a faraday cage.��

Are you jesting or do you really do this to protect your radios internals?

ewetstone

First, this is based on reading and home study. If a real scientist or engineer contradicts me, believe them.

A "solar flare" does not "hit the earth". The electromagnetic radiation from a solar flare (mostly X rays and Ultraviolet light) reaches the Earth in about eight minutes and if it is ionizing radiation it may change the state of the ionization of the layers of the ionosphere to cause fairly short lived radio "blackouts" on the sunlit side of the Earth. These effects last at most a few hours.

The energy from the flare may cause parts of the Sun's outer atmosphere (the Corona) to detach and be flung into space. This are known as Coronal Mass Ejections (CME). They take from a few hours to a few days to reach the orbit of the Earth and, if the Earth happens to be where they arrive they cause many effects. It's not the flare that hits the Earth it's the CME.

A CME is an ejected chunk of the Sun's corona, and as such it consists of both electrons and atomic nuclei which have become disassociated and form a state of matter called a "plasma". A chunk of plasma is both electrically and magnetically charged. The Earth has a magnetic field of it's own. When the magnetic fields of the plasma reach the magnetic field of the Earth what happens depends upon how the fields are aligned. As we know, unlike magnetic poles attract and like ones repel.

If the poles of the CME are lined up so that it's magnetic fields are of the same polarity as the bit of Earth's magnetic fields it meets, then the fields will repel and it will largely be diverted around the Earth and have little effect.

If opposite poles are aligned then the two fields will merge and many nuclei will rain down on the near vicinity of the Earth, causing a "radiation storm". If the magnetic fields of the CME are strong enough and the CME is moving fast enough this will cause the Earth's own magnetic field to be distorted and even to "ring" like a bell. Long wires near the Earth's surface may then have electric currents induced in them by the moving magnetic field and electrical components connected to wires may be at risk from excess current.

The CME events that will cause real problems on Earth are, fortunately rare. The main risk from a big impact will be to the electrical power structure since many of the transformers in use today are not able to carry the kind of current that might be induced by a really big event. Many power companies are, however, gradually replacing the old transformers with more robust ones.

If your radio is turned off during the storm chances are good that it will not be harmed, although if you know a big one is coming it might be a good idea to disconnect the antennas. Electrical equipment that is turned off and kept inside a metal box that forms an effective Faraday cage will be unharmed.

None of the flares observed in the last week or so are anything like strong enough to have such effects. Even though sunspot region 2182 is the largest observed in a quarter century and has produced may medium flares and at least six strong ones, none of them were associated with a CME and so the main effects are limited to fairly short radio blackouts caused by disruptions in the Ionosphere.

I appreciate the detailed explanation of solar flares.....but my question had more to do with what harm would be done to the modern internals of a radio if it was off at the time?....or on at the time?

Last edited:

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am serious. I'm sure I am overreacting though. But I do not have the expertise to tell you WHAT exactly would/could be damaged internally to modern radio equipment, if say a very strong solar flare was earth facing when released. I am just taking the advice from articles I have read over the years, some of which were probably credible, some which were probably not.

I do believe though that some of the X class flares (from recent sunspot 2192) were strong enough to cause some HF radio blackouts & possible communication issues with satellites & some airliners. That is what makes me want to take precautions with my radios. I believe with a solar flare, there is only an 8 minute "window" to take necessary measures to protect equipment. With a CME, I think it is 18-36 hour "window". But again, I am not an expert and did not stay at a holiday inn express last night either.

Majority of the time, I just unhook the antenna & power supply from my various equipment if a major thunderstorm is in the forecast or if a sunspot has over a 50% chance of producing an x class flare in a 24-48 hour time period.

D

DaveNF2G

Solar flare energy does not get anywhere near your antenna. Most CMEs don't, either. The excellent explanation above covered all that. Unless your antenna is about 100 miles or more above your station, you have practically nothing to worry about from the Sun.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I do believe though that some of the X class flares (from recent sunspot 2192) were strong enough to cause some HF radio blackouts & possible communication issues with satellites & some airliners. That is what makes me want to take precautions with my radios.

A radio blackout caused by direct electromagnetic radiation from a flare affects the upper atmosphere only. The ozone layer protects the surface of the planet very well from these events.

The recent spate of X class flares were nowhere near as strong as X flares can get, nor did they produce any coronal mass ejections. Flares of a level that would are extremely rare and even then with modern astronomical tools we would have at least several hours of warning.

Worry about the main threats, not the rare ones. Lightning is a much more serious threat to your radios than solar flares in most of the world, likely all of it. Precautions taken to make your shack more lightning resistant will also be a big help under another Carrington event.

I mean, are you going to protect your rig against a huge meteor impact, too?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the following articles. The Sun can fry your solid state radios/cell phones etc

The links cited provide no evidence of this, so far as I can see. Yes, if your transceiver is on and connected to your antenna a really BIG Coronal Mass Ejection can cause it to fail. An X class flare by itself cannot.

And it isn't the Sun that will fry your electronics but the Earth's own magnetic field ringing like a bell and inducing currents in wires. That is down the line consequence of the flare, but NOT the flare itself. Actually the highest risk is to the electric power grid. Surges from transformers failing can fry your electronics, too.

Lightning strikes can really fry your electronics and happen MUCH more frequently. Moreover the methods used to protect against lighting also help protect you in the event of a large CMS. Get your rig properly grounded and safeguarded against lightning strikes and you'll also have protection against a large CMS.

A simple flare that doesn't launch a big CME can't really hurt your rig. The biggest flare on the official record was X20 in April 2001. Anyone remember their rig blowing up then? Me neither. That flare launched a CMS but it missed Earth. The recent flares from group 12192 were a hundred times weaker and launched no detectable CMS.

Let's not panic, folks.

There's too damn much panic mongering going on these days already.

ewetstone

Ok...so my radio doesn't become burnt toast but will ham communications still be useable after a major solar event. Will the normal emergency frequencies still be up and running or will the atmosphere be chaos?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It will change skip propagation, but not affect local communication other than increased skip potentially causing more interference. Essentially, what commonly happens in the HF bands will also happen in VHF or higher. Not the end of the world as we know it or anything close.

Token

Ok...so my radio doesn't become burnt toast but will ham communications still be useable after a major solar event. Will the normal emergency frequencies still be up and running or will the atmosphere be chaos?

It can reduce or eliminate communications on some frequencies, while enhancing them on others. Suffice to say in a really big event they will change. How long the change last will be variable, but typically it is short term. Conditions may take days to return to normal, but the intense affects are over pretty quickly.

The image below is a wideband waterfall display (covering 0 to 30 MHz) of a Solar event on March 29, 2014. This was a modest X-1 flare. You can see it affectively shut down normal HF communications through much of the HF spectrum. Of course HF still worked, but not like it normally does, local comms would have been fine.
http://www.pbase.com/token/image/155016755/original.jpg

With regards to earlier discussions of damage and such. A really big flare / CME could indeed cause damage to radio gear. The 1859 event (the already mentioned Carrington Event) caused telegraph operators to be shocked at their gear and shorted out / damaged telegraph gear. Voltage fields that high would certainly do damage to at least some radio gear connected to external antennas, but of course in 1859 about the only electrical gear / infrastructure of any size was the telegraph system. The CME from an X-15 flare impacted Earth on March 13, 1989. It interrupted control of satellites, shut down communications, and caused electrical damage to the power grid including blackouts over large areas. In 2003 a more modest series of flares and CME caused similar issues, with Sweden having a blackout of nearly an hour as a result of damage.

I think it comes down to how likely is it to be an issue? In theory it could cause damage, but probably only to radio gear attached to something with a large capture area, such as an external antenna of some size, or as a power surge from the AC lines. The last known event that might have been capable of such was in 1859, so they are not common. I know I don't bother disconnecting for solar events, and I have many thousands of feet of wire and aluminum in the air total, but I do, sometimes, for lightning.

T!

mancow

Database Admin

Well, you could probably talk to Tokyo on 10 meters through a wet noodle. (seriously)

krokus

Premium Subscriber

If the HF bands are disrupted, from the ionosphere being charged differently, are disprupted. Nobody will be able to communicate as usual, via HF.

As an example, while on shift at a military HF receiver site, I noticed the chirpsounder display lacking the normal presentation. I called the solar observatory that was nearby, and asked if there was a major solar event in progress, the person on the phone gave an annoyed and excited "Yes! We're busy..." type of answer.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.