Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Ok I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes. I want to get into rtty/data,image and digital modes. What should I be using? There is so many websites and books out there I'm just confused and overwhelmed. Some sites say you can use a computer with the right software and some say other things. What does everyone use for these 3 modes?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What you use partly depends on what type of data and what band.

Most modes are able to be processed with a sound card, and keying the radio via VOX or a serial/USB connection.

What are you wanting to send or receive?

Sent via Tapatalk

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Good question. What is typically sent in rtty/data, images and digital modes? I've seen some who get weather radar pictures or what looks like the old school teletype but using the computer to decode.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Good question. What is typically sent in rtty/data, images and digital modes? I've seen some who get weather radar pictures or what looks like the old school teletype but using the computer to decode.

RTTY would be the old school teletype connection, so just text. Typically sent at 50, 75 or 110 baud. Updated versions of this mode are called AMTOR. There is a vendor specific version, called Pactor, which is is required for email access, with the largest network of stations. (These are used on HF.)

The weather maps are a fax mode, which are broadcast for mariners. (Also on HF.) A friend has a way of sending a small, low resolution, rendition of the local NOAA radar over packet. It is good enough to see if a storm cell is headed in your direction.

Packet is able to be used to send whole files, or real time chat. The more popular version is on VHF, but there is a variant for HF. The VHF is typically 1200 or 9600 baud, and the HF is 300 baud.

Some people are using WiFi access points for High Speed Multimedia (HSMM) and building mesh networks.

Sent via Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Ok I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes. I want to get into rtty/data,image and digital modes. What should I be using? There is so many websites and books out there I'm just confused and overwhelmed. Some sites say you can use a computer with the right software and some say other things. What does everyone use for these 3 modes?

A key item that would help us advise you is a) whether or not you already have an HF transceiver, and b) if you have one, what is it? If you're looking to purchase an HF rig, look for a newer one that does not need an external "sound card" or modulator like the Signalinc USB or similar. Many of the newer HF radios can handle multiple digital modes (RTTY, PSK, etc) without hardware add-ons. OTOH if you have a rig now knowing what you have will get more specific advice in this thread re: how to get into digital modes.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. License - Upgrade to General as it opens up the bands for what you want to get into...if you want to transmit.
2. Antenna - Can you put up an antenna, or two, or three? I'm using two Off Center Fed antennas that complement each other, and a vertical that works better on other bands. This is rather key to the whole deal, unless you plan on operating remotely. If that's the case, that's a different antenna scenario, as well as radio. The antenna or antennas are a critical part of the system that many overlook. Make sure you allot plenty of your budget for this as well as the coax.
3. Sound card - As popnokick pointed out, you can purchase new HF rigs that have a sound card built in, or you can use a SignaLink to interface between the radio and computer. You could use the computer sound card, but you may get beeps you don't want. Ensure your Windows alert sounds are turned off if you go that route.
4. Software - I use various software but typically the free version of Ham Radio Deluxe. In particular the DM780 software that is packaged with it. This will handle the data modes as well as SSTV (images). Yes, you send as well as receive with it. PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, etc. There is SSTV activity on 14.230 MHz USB.
4a. Software - You can also use FLDIGI. This software is also free and handles various digital modes. FLDIGI can also handle the WEFAX signals and decode them. Don't forget it's USB and 1.9 kHz down from the assigned freq. (Example: One of the freq's out of Hawaii uses 11090.0 kHz USB so you would dial down to 11088.10 kHz using USB as the mode.)

Status
Not open for further replies.