Should offset field be empty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofasurfer

You probably saw in my other thread that I have been having problems with sending or receiving when working with repeaters. I seem to be having better luck now but I still am not sure how/why or if I really am. I have made some cortacts and then when I think I am doing good I suddenly am not able to make contacts.
I have noticed one thing that most likely is a part of my problem. Whether I program manually or with CHIRP I notice the same issue. All of my settings, frequency, tone, duplex and channel all are as I set them. But the offset sometimes is as I set it and many times it is missing as if I entered nothing.

Is there anything in the settings that I may be doing wrong that could be causing this?

Last edited:

nd5y

Are the settings changing in CHIRP or only in the radio?

If you program a repeater in a memory in the Baofeng by using either the keypad or CHIRP and then look at MENU 26 OFFSET it will always show 00.000 because the offset is ONLY use in VFO mode. Transmit and receive frequencies are stored separately in the memories.

If you want to verify the transmit frequency was stored correctly then you have to:
1. Make sure you are in memory mode.
2. Select the memory in the A (upper) or B (lower) display.
3. Set Menu 21 MDF-A or 22 MDF-B (whichever display you are using) to FREQ.
4. Exit from the menu and press *SCAN for less than 1 second to select reverse mode (instead of starting scanning).

That will display the transmit frequency and whatever tone mode is set in the transmit memory and a small R will appear next to +- on the top of the display.
If the frequency doesn't change and you see the small R then that means the channel is simplex.
If the frequency doesn't change and you don't see the small R then that means there is no transmit frequency (this will only happen if you used CHIRP to disable transmit by setting duplex off).

Last edited:

sofasurfer

Are the settings changing in CHIRP or only in the radio?

If you program a repeater in a memory in the Baofeng by using either the keypad or CHIRP and then look at MENU 26 OFFSET it will always show 00.000 because the offset is ONLY use in VFO mode. Transmit and receive frequencies are stored separately in the memories.

If you want to verify the transmit frequency was stored correctly then you have to:
1. Make sure you are in memory mode.
2. Select the memory in the A (upper) or B (lower) display.
3. Set Menu 21 MDF-A or 22 MDF-B (whichever display you are using) to FREQ.
4. Exit from the menu and press *SCAN for less than 1 second to select reverse mode (instead of starting scanning).

That will display the transmit frequency and whatever tone mode is set in the transmit memory and a small R will appear next to +- on the top of the display.
If the frequency doesn't change and you see the small R then that means the channel is simplex.
If the frequency doesn't change and you don't see the small R then that means there is no transmit frequency (this will only happen if you used CHIRP to disable transmit by setting duplex off).

I think at some point I was programming in channel mode. I also saw a some times the file downloaded from the radio was changed when viewed in CHIRP. However, now that I am learning proper programming, the changes(corruptions) are only displayed on the radio. When I download the corrupted file into CHIRP the settings are good.

Last night I spemt a lot of time reading and programming in both CHIRP and manually. I programmed in vhf and uhf frequencies in differant orders (uhf, uhf, vhf. then uhf, vhf, uhf. then vhf, uhf, uhf). What I found was that the tone on ALL frequencies is 100(the lowest tone programmed) and the offset on ALL frequencies is 05.000(the offset with the lowest digit).
I also just learned about the "R" (reverse) button. I am getting the T and R freqencies programmed in but the tone and offsets are still changing.
I think, and I will verify today, that if I only program 1 frequency (T and R) that it will work fine.
I also learned, last night, about downloading and installing the original frequecy file from CHIRP, although I did not see an improvement. UV5R F8HP Recovery Baofeng Pofung UV5R

Now that I see what is happening, even though I can not fix it, I am wondering how I was able to communicate on 2 differant frequencies (uhf and vhf) the other day. This tells me that the radio is not bad, but that something is not programmed correctly by me. ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.