Brand New to HAM - Yaesu FT-991 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbssteagall

Hello all,

My first post here... I am in classes now and will take the Technician license test within a few weeks but for now I am getting prepared.

I bought a Yaesu FT-991 with an ATAS 120a antenna for my 2500 HD pickup. I am having a bracket made to fit my specifications from a custom weld shop right now and it should be done in a few hours for pick-up.

Then next week I will have all the fat coaxial cables ran to the antenna and have the power/ground cables ran as well by an installer here in the DFW area.

I have already grounded all four corners of the bed and both sides of the cab with heavy duty 1' grounding straps so I should be ready for the final connections to be made before the end of the week next week so I can start tuning around and listening until I get my license.

I can't wait to get my call sign and start making contacts and just tuning around to see what's out there.

for now... David

Congrats sounds like you are off to a good start. Have you given any thoughts as to what antenna you will need for 2M and 440 operation?

N0VGL

Wow. Congrats and welcome to the hobby. Quite a rig you've opted for there. I just bought an FT-991 several months ago as my primary rig for my shack replacing an FT-450D which is now my back up. Just curious as to why you went with the 991 as opposed to say an FT-857 or one of the less expensive mobiles like the FT-8900?. Believe me, the 991 presents a bit of a learning curve, especially if you aren't used to menu driven transcievers. Lots and lots of settings, memories, ect. and you will need a good dual band 2m/440 mobile antenna as previously mentioned. The FT-991 is a good quality rig for the money and should be incentive for you to upgrade to general so you can fully utilize all the bands to their max. Of course, as a tech. you'll be able to do 10 meter ssb, six meter, and cw on the other bands in the novice/tech. portion of the HF bands. Good luck and I hope to work you one day !!

dbssteagall

This is is reply to both messages... Being a newbie I thought the ATAS 120a antenna would work both by having a switch to alternate between the UHF/VHF and HF frequency connections in the back of the radio. And, I think those two may be the two most important frequencies for me at this time. Suggestions are greatly appreciated though.

I bought the FT-991 because I wanted to have a radio that is plug-and-play. In other words I wanted to be able to disconnect it fro my truck and plug it in at the house, or wherever, and go as easily as possible. Also I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy. I figured I was getting in deep but that's how I've always been.

I have the radio in its new bracket but nothing is bolted down yet until I get to the installer to make sure it is done correctly.

I'm really excited to get it all connected and working so I can start tuning around until I get my ticket.

Geeper

Great start David! May I suggest K0BG's website for a wealth of mobile install information. Good luck on your exam!
John KI6NIC

dbssteagall

Thanks Geeper. So, I kind of have it somewhat more together now. The bracket is finished and the radio installed on it. I'm waiting to have it mounted to the floor until the installer hooks up the power and grounding.

I have now bought a Comet CF-360A duplexer that will attach to the HF UHF/VHF antenna ports then thru the thick ABR solid core coaxial cable directly to the ATAS 120a antenna.

I'm installing that on the bed rail right behind the cab of a 2014 2500 HD. I'm drilling the top rail and then cutting a hole big enough in the bed wall to get my hand in to make sure all the paint is off underneath and also to work/tighten the fittings and cable connection. That should give me all the grounding/ground plane I need and also room to work some other ideas from the K0BG site.

I should have all this stuff done by Thursday so I can start listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.